the-landing-digest        Sunday, April 4 1999        Volume 02 : Number 068

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  ANDREW SHOW'S.                        ["Ryan Sargent" ]

Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 00:00:57 PST
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: ANDREW SHOW'S.

Hey Jess, how was the Bowl Of Fire show on friday???? And "The Countdown
Quartet"???? I just got back from the DC Bowl of Fire show at the Black
Cat. I got Everybody's autograph, and they are all really nice (Andrew
is nice...and also kind of distant). They played a great encore. I had a
digital camera, and took 24 pic's...which came out REALLY GOOD this
time.

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #68
********************************

No digest was created April 5.

the-landing-digest       Tuesday, April 6 1999       Volume 02 : Number 069

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  Videos                   ["SHAUN SMAKAL" ]
  TV                                      [Jessica Brandt ]

Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 09:41:31 +0000
From: "SHAUN SMAKAL"
Subject: Videos

I havn't seen any of the zipper videos yet.  Why was 'Put a Lid on
it' banned?

Smakal

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Apr 1999 21:39:03 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt
Subject: TV

Well a pretty boring week on TV, but at least there's 2 things worth
watching. Try to check out that Ellington thing on Wednesday. Actually,
chec your listings today in case it's on earlier!

Uhm, i don't have a comment on the whole "battle of the lists" thing just
yet. I don't even know what's going on. I will say, however, that SNZ fans
have no sense of camraderie.

I'll post about the andrew bird show and my trip to Chapel Hill later. It
was really really cool.

So anyway, remember that all times are eastern, check your listings, *****
means "pick to click" and see www.rockontv.com

MONDAY APRIL 5
1:30 am on BRAVO (profiles) Cole Porter

TUESDAY APRIL 6
3 pm on BRAVO (profiles) cole porter
3:30 am on TMC (Swingers) uhm....swingers! :)

WEDNESDAY APRIL 7
8 pm on PBS (check listings)Live From Lincoln Center: Uptown Blues,
Ellington at 100 *****

THURSDAY APRIL 8
nothing

FRIDAY APRIL 9
nothing

SATURDAY APRIL 10
11 pm on PBS (check listings) (Sessions @ W54) Pat Metheny Group *****

SUNDAY APRIL 11
Nothing
          *      --+-READ THE SHRUBBERY-+--        *
          http://www.theshrubbery.prohosting.com
     --New Every Month- -Humor, Music, News and More--

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #69
********************************

the-landing-digest      Wednesday, April 7 1999      Volume 02 : Number 070

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  Re: Andrew Bird lyrics?              [kobyc@softhome.net (Peter Destructo)]
  SALSA.                                ["Ryan Sargent" ]

Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 00:03:00 GMT
From: kobyc@softhome.net (Peter Destructo)
Subject: Re: Andrew Bird lyrics?

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999 02:11:49 EST, you wrote:

>I think his singing is very clear, especially in cock o' the walk. I was
>really surprised to read this post.  Anyhow, check out the rykodisk website
>probably at www.rykodisc.com  they had the lyrics.
>Though I've never been to Venezuela,
>-Gats

http://www.rykodisc.com/RykoInternal/Features/342/menu.html

If you haven't seen it yet, go now! Tour dates, Realaudio samples,
lyrics, and a band bio! It's pretty cool. Stay to the links on the top
of the menu page; the bottom links are to general RD stuff, not
specifically Andrew Bird stuff.

NOW I just need to find a web page for Music of Hair (Bird's first
CD)...

BTW, according to a Chicago website, Andrew Bird also guests in the
Orquestra Atipica every so often. Here is their website:
http://www.mindspring.com/~bobdronski/ch02001.htm

- --peter destructo

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 20:32:59 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: SALSA.

You can find the salsa song that BOWL OF FIRE covered at the Black Cat
show on www.amazon.com Search under the artist Ry Cooder, and the name
of the cd is "Buena Vista Social Club". The song they played in the
encore is #3 - "El Cuarto De Tula". When I was talking to Kevin
O'Donnell he told me that that song always gets big praise when they
play it at shows.

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #70
********************************

the-landing-digest       Thursday, April 8 1999       Volume 02 : Number 071

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  you're driving me crazy!          [bob pigeon ]
  New Album.                            ["Ryan Sargent" ]
  Re: SALSA.                            ["Ryan Sargent" ]

Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 11:02:16 -0400
From: bob pigeon
Subject: you're driving me crazy!

turned on the radio this morning, and they were doing a big billie holiday
birthday tribute!

so i get a blank tape ready to start taping when the next song starts, and
what is it?  YOU'RE DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!!  what fun!!!!

- ----
"'Don't you want to join us?' I was recently asked by an acquaintance
 when he ran across me alone after midnight in a coffeehouse that was
 already almost deserted.  'No I don't,' I said."
					-- Franz Kafka

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 09:47:11 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: New Album.

This was just posted on the Andrew Bird message board:

Hello All,

Sorry I haven't responded to the queries about the new album sooner
.. but at last here's a bit more information for you: Andrew Bird's
Bowl of Fire has finished recording their new album, entitled "Oh!
The Grandeur!"  The songs were recorded in New Orleans at Magazine
STudios with producer Mike Napolitano at the helm. It will be out
August 24, 1999.  Bowl of Fire members Kevin O'Donnell, Colin Bunn,
and Josh Hirsh are all over the record, as well as special guests
James Mathus, Jack Fine, and Pat Sansone.

Quite frankly, the album is amazing.  We'll be putting up a complete
tracklist and some further information/sneak previews about the
release on the ryko website in the very near future.  Song topics
range from mental illness to vidalia onions.  Artwork is being
created by the incredibly diginified artist Chris Ware (Acme comics).

Those who signed up for the mailing list on the ryko site will get
updates, postcards, and a special offer or 2 from time to time. In
the meantime, thanks to everyone who went out and saw their shows on
this recent SE tour. I have a few "Thrills" posters laying around the
office for the first 5 people to email me ...

Cheers,
Andrea T / ryko

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 13:39:24 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: Re: SALSA.

The concert they played that at was the 4/3 Black Cat show in
washington dc. Je & Stu were at the 4/2 Cat's Cradle show in
Carroboro NC...but Kevin (drummer) told me that that band first had
Jimbo, then Je & Stu. Since bowl of fire only has a trumpet player
(Jack Fine) on thier cd's they didn't have brass in this version. It
turns out that Jack Fine is a 70 year old New Orleans native trumpet
player, that's why he doesn't tour with them (but kevin said that he
has one nice muted solo on the new album). Both Andrew and Colin were
singing in spanish (it was funny because colin was even yelling back
at the lighting guy in spanish) and Andrew replaced the trumpet with
violin. Colin seemed to be singing more than Andrew on that song.

>You can find the salsa song that BOWL OF FIRE covered at the Black
>Cat show on www.amazon.com Search under the artist Ry Cooder, and
>the name of the cd is "Buena Vista Social Club". The song they
>played in the encore is #3 - "El Cuarto De Tula". When I was talking
>to Kevin O'Donnell he told me that that song always gets big praise
>when they play it at shows.

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #71
********************************

the-landing-digest        Friday, April 9 1999        Volume 02 : Number 072

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  post                                  ["Ryan Sargent" ]
  Re: post                                               [ProfPlum97@aol.com]
  Re: post                                   ["Matty J." ]

Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 06:16:18 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: post

Nobody post's on this list anymore.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 16:00:14 EDT
From: ProfPlum97@aol.com
Subject: Re: post

Sure we do. why just last week I posted an obit and they rykodisc addy!
- -Gats

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 02:32:03 -0400
From: "Matty J."

Sure we do, we just are busy. I just have lots of work; I have finals
next week... damn. Check out my radio show! www.bates.edu/wrbc   then go
to the archives. Then find Thursday from 5-8am. That's me! I know jess
has already listened... so if you doubt that it's any good, ask her....
there's my response.

Matty J.

*****************************
According to Information Week, the tab for the Year 2000 software fix
alone will hit $600 billion. With that money, a Macintosh could be bought
for every man, woman and child in the United States-plus everyone in
Australia, Belgium, Cambodia, Ecuador, Ethiopia, France, Greece and
Guatemala.
*****************************

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #72
********************************

the-landing-digest      Saturday, April 10 1999      Volume 02 : Number 073

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  Ghost town...                                  [jbrandt ]
  Andrew Bird                                    [jbrandt ]
  RE: Ghost town...           ["Kunkel, Robert G" ]
  Re: Ghost town...                                      [Dragoon716@aol.com]
  Re: Andrew Bird                       ["Ryan Sargent" ]
  Re: Andrew Bird                                        [ProfPlum97@aol.com]
  the bowl of fire musical act and some gypsy stuff.  ["Ryan Sargent"
Subject: Ghost town...

You're right no one posts here anymore. I wonder where everyone is...Hmm,
maybe they're gone like the swing craze...

What's the deal with this whole "coollist" thing? As I recall, everyone signed
up to be on it and it never came...so Matt started Listbot...and that was cool
but it had too much volume....so I set up this list because some folks (like
me) wanted a digest...and I tried to make it a community and do cool stuff but
I guess no one cares (*sniffle*)...

I'm serious, what's wrong with everyone? I tink SNZ is the greatest fucking
band to come around in the last 5 years and i want to talk about them every
day to everyone I know, and I figured that if we had a mailing list that
people would talk about them, or SNZ-related things (cuz there are so MANY
related things) but it seems that everyone is just too good to talk to us now.
Kudos to Ryan, Ari, Matt F., Matt M. and everyone else that posts regularly. I
guess you guys know what it's all about.

if there's someone who can shed some light on this whole thing, please tell me
what's going on. If I am in a war, i'd like to know...

Jess

READ THE SHRUBBERY!
http://www.theshrubbery.prohosting.com
*Humor, music, movies, lit, and more!*
      New Every Month. We Promise.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 11:55:44 -0400
From: jbrandt
Subject: Andrew Bird

In the spirit of posting more, I am going to post all about the Andrew Bird
show I saw last friday.

Cat's Cradle, Chapel Hill NC, 4/2/99

We got there right on the dot at 10:30, which is when they told us the show
would start, and sho 'nuff it they were already playing. ("they" being a band
called "The Sideways Jazz band" or sideways somethingorother. I don't know. I
am not allowed to drink at the Cradle, so beforehand i drank enough Schlitz's
to make anyone forgetful.)

Imagine my excitement when i looked up and saw Jim sitting on this box on
stage, just jammin' along with the band. They were really cool-- They had a
young keyboardist who looked pleased as punch to be playing the piano. The
trumpet player was also very young (Look ryan! a new career!) and he was
really good. he played a shiny-as-hell silver horn and held a hankie..didn't
louis always hold a hankie? he also sang. Then there was a bass player and a
cool drummer and a REALLY great trombonist named David Wright. They played all
sorts of fun jazzy stuff..sort of like "play it again Sam" sort of stuff, if
ya follow me.
OH! and Kat made a special appearance....she sang one song. I can't remember
the name...someting about heartache...she stayed to watch the rest of the
performance then took off.

Next up was The Countdown Quartet, which featured Wright on Trombone again and
vocals, a different bass player, the same drummer, and Jim on guitar again.
Jim had some SMOKIN' solos. Oh yeah, also Mr. Cecil Johnson on tenor and
soprano sax. Sometimes, I swear to God, he played them BOTH at the same time.
I think he told me that he got that trick from the guy in the Dirty
Dozen...Roger. Anyway, this tall goofy-looking white guy, Wright, steps up to
the mic, and he belts out songs as if he were Louis. I swear to god! it was
weird to hear-- deep and growly, yet soothing. In between he just killed his
trombone. he has some monster chops to play for an hour and a half without
losing face.

During that band I grabbed Andrew Bird and talked to him. I use the old line
"I came all the way from cleveland" wich got me really far with everyone in
NC. Anyway, i tell him how much his band kicks ass and yadda yadda...He looked
funny, like a junior partner in an accountancy firm...grey suit and green
tie....but he was a little dispondant and was nice for like 2 mins then after
i finished my sentence he ran away like there was a 3 headed monster coming
behind me. Let me tell you, tho. That man is HOT. *rowl* and for what I can
tell, he is not married (no ring) and didn't have any girlies with him. no
groupies, even!

So the show was as good as i expected. Someone on here said before that e
doesn't make eye contact with the crowd. true. but damn, he's so entertaining.
Every so often he'd actually SMILE. and he plays that fiddle like a ukelele
sometimes which is cool. The rest of the band is really cool too THEY look
like they're having a good time on stage.

he played mostly new songs...maybe 3 from Thrills. Before "Depression
Passillo" he said "it's been a hard tour..." then some guy said "how hard?"
and he said "the only thing worse than a bitter musician is a self-pitying one
[ which made him smile]...so it's time for 'Depression'". Another funny ting
he said was before "Pathetique"...."this is the song that made USA Today say
we're the country's biggest party band"....that is funny when ya think of how
"Pathetique" sounds :) One more thing is that before one of the songs he said
"i'd like to apologize to my drummer....we like to rough-house before the show
to get psyched up, and this time i went too far...so now he has a hole in his
chin..." :) The drummer forgave him. hehehe

They played for about uhm...oh, i have no clue. they DID come out for an
encore. the handfull of people that were there brought him back out again.
seriously, there were like 20 of us :( Guess there's not much of a market for
fiddle music! he played that salsa song that Ryan wrote about. i was in AWE.
it was incredible. the guitar player also sang in Spanish with him. way cool.

Oh, Jim and Kat came back during Andrew's set. They were soooo cute. they held
hands and slowdanced...the whole bit. and no one came up to them for
autographs except one or two people. i stopped jim before Andrew's set and
asked him some things about photos i gave him, but i didn't bother him for a
signature.

So tere you have it. If Andrew is coming to your town, GO!!! it's the closest
thing to a Zipper event you'll have for a while :) Can't wait for the new
album. there's going to be such a wide array of stuff.

Oh, and i got the coolest poster, for free "cuz i came all the way here from
cleveland"...it's like, hand-painted or a lithograph or something. Plus, free
stickers cuz the guy working the booth was a little slow :P

Now why don't we all reply to this post, or make up our own?

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 11:56:52 -0400
From: "Kunkel, Robert G"
Subject: RE: Ghost town...

I think it goes without saying that, as with any music mailing list, when
the band isn't touring, list traffic invariably declines, particularly on
small lists such as this one.  Also, I'm sure that since not everyone came
over to this list, that certain regular contributors may have been the ones
to stay behind.

- -Rob

PS  I doubt if insulting the rest of us quiet ones is going to encourage
many of us to post more often...

...although it did work on me...  ;)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 12:57:29 EDT
From: Dragoon716@aol.com

Well I'd like to start off by saying why I'm on this list.  I'm here mostly
to overhear discussion and get involved if something piques my interest.  I
don't usually read up on SNZ that often, so this list is my source of SNZ
related news and stuff.  I post stuff when I have something to say, which is
not often.  I don't feel that the people on the list are too good to talk
about SNZ, but more like they don't really have anything to say about them at
the time.  At least that's how I feel.  Anyway, I had something to say, so I
said it, and I'll keep quiet 'till I have something else to say.

§ - Drags - §

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 13:41:40 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: Re: Andrew Bird

At the show I was at (4/3 washington dc) after the show Andrew was
back behind the booth selling posters himself. There was hardly any
people there and when I went up to talk to him, he seemed a little
distant. I also got a Bowl of Fire poster and when I asked for some
stickers, andrew gave me about five. Now I have a PF cd with all the
zippers autographs and a Thrills cd with all BOF autographs. It's
hard to see anyone "slow" dancing to one of BOF's songs. It's not
certain yet, but one of the pictures I took at the Black Cat show
might be in the new Bowl Of Fire cd. She (woman at rykodisc) is
sending them to the band for approval.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 22:07:37 EDT
From: ProfPlum97@aol.com

You know, every time I read PF I think you guys mean Pink Floyd.  I mean, I
KNOW you mean Perennial Favorites.  I'm just wired wierd.  I've Known Pink
Floyd longer, I guess.
- -Gats

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 19:22:13 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: the bowl of fire musical act and some gypsy stuff.

To here some really good gypsy violin go to www.cdnow.com and find the
artist Zoltan & His Gypsy Ensamble and the album "Gypsy music from
hungary & Romania". The song "Romanian Song And Dance" sounds alot
like Andrew Bird. Also, check out Jack Teagarden & his Orchestra.

If there are any trumpet players on this list, what do you think of
the Bach Stad???? I went in to play one today, and as alway's...used
"Jungle Boogie". Oh yeah, in the PF cdrom during the Backstage
part...didn't they show stacy guess warming up once. I hope the next
album has a cdrom.

End of the-landing-digest V2 #73