Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 04:21:51 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt
Subject: erm..oops

Well I hope i didn't insult anyone. I just meant to say that it sucks to
not have anyone post. yes, i know that they Zips aren't doing anything as a
band right now, but there's tons of other stuff to talk about that they do.
Then again, their stuff is hard to find and you really have to be in the
right place at the right time for a lot of it :(

I personally don't have anything new to tell anyone, cuz no one is telling
me anything. drat...

As for the Bach Stad, Ryan...One of the trumpet players in my jazz band is
borrowing one to play on and he's really pleased with it. I don't know
anything about trumpets myself...

uhm...yeah, so what i'm saying is don't be shy, just post about anything.
How was your day?

Jess
          *      --+-READ THE SHRUBBERY-+--        *
          http://www.theshrubbery.prohosting.com
     --New Every Month- -Humor, Music, News and More--

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 11:49:53 -0400
From: Dishon Gerald Robert
Subject: SNZ, Bach St*R*ads, etc.

Well, since everyone seems to be posting, I guess I'll post too.  *grin*

Are the Zippers planning to tour later this year?  I think all the info
I saw said that they would be taking the first half of the year off, but
I never heard anything about what they were going to do with the
remaining six months... hmmm.

About the Bach St>R
Subject: Re: SNZ, Bach St*R*ads, etc.

How did that person get Je's old strad???? I know he has got a new
one now (ever since SNZ's got there selmer contract) what did he just
give it away????

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 12:28:31 -0400
From: Dishon Gerald Robert
Subject: Je's Bach Strad

Apparently, this was several years ago (1995?), when Je was still a
little known trumpeter doing gigs around Asheville, NC (a 45 min. drive
from my college).  John (the guy) saw the ad for the trumpet in the
paper, and being a high school student in need of a better trumpet,
called him up and got invited out to his house, where he bought the
horn.  (As a result, when SNZ played Asheville last December, John got
free backstage passes after the concert; I tried to see if he could get
a couple more for me and a friend, but he couldn't.  But then we hung
around the backstage doors after the concert and managed to get in by
looking pitiful and staying around for about thirty minutes after the
concert ended.)  So it was purchased before Je was really famous.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 09:43:55 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: Re: Je's Bach Strad

Hey, I was backstage at the december show in asheville. Was it the
one when Cigar Store Indians played with them???? We were able to
kind of look important in able to get backstage. There was a little
party back there and everything. Before the show I met this couple
who was friends with je in college, they also had backstage passes. I
was able to talk with all of SNZ and get autographs. Je was really
nice...we talked about practice time and how long he has been
playing.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 19:02:47 -0400
From: Dishon Gerald Robert
Subject: Backstage in Asheville

Yeah, that was the one.  I was thinking about getting some of that beer
they had. *grin* But I was driving that nite, so...

I was the fattish guy, average height, with long dark hair and glasses.
My hair has since been cut.  Why am I telling you this?  I don't know.

Gerald

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 16:53:46 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: Re: Backstage in Asheville

Did you see tom sitting over by the door with his ?mother/gandma?
saying to Stu "Show her your blister's, show her your blisters!"????
It was wierd to see him acting normal, as opposed to his on-stage
hellish act. I talked to Stu forever, he is pretty cool...and smiles
alot. At first I thought Je's wife was Katharine's sister, based on
how she was dressed. Was it just me, or did Jim not show up...or stay
in the dressing room for a long time????

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 21:27:24 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt
Subject: Tom in CMJ

Tom maxwell interviewed Ben Folds Five for the latest (may) CMJ magazine.
they are on the cover (the band, not tom). It's a really long and really
cute article. i think you should all go buy it! (i'd transcribe it but it's
f'n long!)

Also, i was talking to Ben and he said that he'd like to take ken and Tom
with him on the upcoming tour...which is good cuz we'll get to see the
guys, but bad for people who don't like BFF, and bad cuz that might prolong
any new stuff the Zippers do as a group.

On a funny note, Ben and the guys were just in london and played a small
"press" show...they had taken Tom and Ken along, but there was "trouble
with visas" so they ended up hiring local musicians, and Tom and Ken just
sat around and got drunk. BFF is in tokyo now, i'm not sure if Tom and Ken
are with them...

So there's some news for ya.

55 days till the new Katherine album is out!

Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 18:53:27 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: Re: Tom in CMJ

What is CMJ magazine????

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #74
********************************

the-landing-digest       Monday, April 12 1999       Volume 02 : Number 075

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  RE: Backstage in Asheville  [Dishon Gerald Robert ]

Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 13:07:16 -0400
From: Dishon Gerald Robert

I kind of got the feeling that Jimbo was a bit under the weather that
night; he did stay in the changing room for a very long time; he finally
came out after some people had started leaving.  John (the guy with Je's
Strad) had introduced me to Je's wife (or maybe Je did that), so while I
didn't think she was related to Katherine, I did think it was cool (or
odd) how they dressed alike.  I got to talk to Je for a while; he seemed
really shy, but he opened up when I commented on his use of the Imperial
March in one of his solos.  He was really knowledgeable about music in
general, both popular stuff and the theory/traditional aspects.

I think that Tom is one of those people that will act like himself no
matter where he is.

Anyone else have thoughts about the Zippers'  personalities from
backstage meetings, etc.?  Ryan and I don't mean to dominate the
conversation!  (Pardon my speaking for you, Ryan.)

Gerald

"I got blisters on my fingers!!"-John Lennon, at the end of Helter
Skelter, White Album

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 16:45:00 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt
Subject: CMJ

CMJ (College Music Journal, but they NEVER use that, just the acronym) New
Music Monthly is the "official" name.

You can buy it at Borders or Barnes & Noble, and probably other stores
(some record stores and Best Buys). It comes in a plastic wrapper because
it also comes with a CD full of new "cutting edge" music.

That was the magazine that first introduced me to SNZ and BFF (actually it
was my boyfriend who read the magazine). The zippers were on the cover
about a year ago (i lost that issue. Seriously. how much does that suck?)
You can get that for a whopping $8 (cover price is $6)...

This month has a cartoon picture on the cover of BFF as superheros.

If I had more income, i'd subscribe, but for now, I just rely on other
folks to tell me when i need to buy it.

So, yeah. buy CMJ :)

Jess
          *      --+-READ THE SHRUBBERY-+--        *
          http://www.theshrubbery.prohosting.com
     --New Every Month- -Humor, Music, News and More--

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #75
********************************

the-landing-digest       Tuesday, April 13 1999       Volume 02 : Number 076

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  SNZ behind the scenes                          [jbrandt ]
  TV for April 12-18                             [jbrandt ]
  Re: TV for April 12-18                                 [Dragoon716@aol.com]
  Re: SNZ behind the scenes            [Gerald Dishon ]
  Going to college doesn't make your parents more able to afford anything  []
  Re: TV for April 12-18        [Jacob A Storbeck ]
  it's a breakthrough!                                    [CHAMICLOV@aol.com]
  Re: the-landing-digest V2 #73                           [ElinaMalk@aol.com]
  Re: Going to college doesn't make your parents more able to afford anything  [Dragoon716@aol]
  Fred Flintstone meets George Jetson meets Peter Destructo meets Tom Maxwell  [kobyc@softhome.net (Peter Destru]
  KAT & SNZ.                            ["Ryan Sargent" ]

Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 11:14:36 -0400
From: jbrandt
Subject: SNZ behind the scenes

I agree with Gerald, that Je is pretty shy but once you get him talking he's
okay.

Tom is naturally gregarious and will talk to anyone. Him and Ken seem to be
best buddies and the most outgoing. Out of all the zippers and the 4 times
i've met them, i've talked the most to Tom and Ken. Ken is also a northerner
and midwesterner so he's a bit out of place, but at least i can relate. My
favorite hockey team is the St. louis Blues, and although he's from St. Louis,
he knows little about hockey. The cardinals are more his style. Tom and I had
a lengthy conversation about music and instruments and everything at the
cleveland BBQ show.

Jim and Katherine are very nice and very polite. they will talk and sign
autographs, but tend to scurry off to the bus or dressing room. They are big
fans of music (as all of them are) and really like to watch other bands. When
I saw Jim at the Andrew Bird show, the first ting he said to me was "how did
you like that first band? they were great, weren't they?"

Chris is very sweet. He talked to me at the Columbus show for a bit, as well
as Cincinnatti. He always seems to have little girl friends around (especially
in Cleveland). According to my friend in Chapel Hill, whose boyfriend is
buddies with Chris, he's back in town (was in Australia) and was at a show at
the 506
the other night, rough-housing with Brian (her boyfriend, of Zen Frisbee/the
Fontanells). Still a big kid.

Stu I know little about. Out of all the Zippers, I don't have his autograph
(HAD it, but someone tossed it out). I call him "The Elusive Stu Cole." When I
saw him in Columbus, he was looking a little wasted, and was dragging his
friends down the street to go to a bar.

So uhm...that's all I know of the Zippers. Aparently Ryan and Gerald are tight
with them, so it'll be cool to see what everyone has to say :)

Jess

READ THE SHRUBBERY!
http://www.theshrubbery.prohosting.com
*Humor, music, movies, lit, and more!*
      New Every Month. We Promise.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 11:52:03 -0400
From: jbrandt
Subject: TV for April 12-18

Well, it look slike there's some actual pertinent stuff out there this week.

Remember, all times eastern, ***** means "pick to click" and check
www.rockontv.com for updates, questions, or anything else.

If anyone has a problem with these TV lists, like you don't think they belong
here, let me know and I will stop doing them

MONDAY APRIL 12
2:30 pm on BRAVO (arts & Minds) Chick Corea
10:30 pm on BRAVO (profiles) Ray Charles, w/Dizzy Gillespie
12 am on VH1 (Best of Hard Rock Live) Perf. of Brian Setzer's "JJ&W"
1:30 am on BRAVO (profiles) ray Charles

TUESDAY APRIL 13
6 am on BRAVO (profiles) Cole Porter, w/Sinatra, Garland, more
2:30 pm on BRAVO (arts & Minds) Chick Corea
3 pm pm BRAVO (profiles) Ray Charles
7:30 pm on E! (mysteries & Scandals) Billy Tipton, jazz saxophonist of the
30's          & 40's, was really Dorothy Tipton!

WEDNESDAY APRIL 14
9:30 am on E! (mysteries & scandals) billy/Dorothy Tipton
5 pm on E! (mysteries & scandals) Billy/Dorothy Tipton
8 pm on TNN (Century of Country) 1st in a 13 part series about "Country and
      Western Bluegeass and Swing" *****

THURSDAY APRIL 15 (did you finish your taxes??)
12 am on VH1 (Best of Hard Rock Live) w/Brian setzer Orch.
2:30 am on VH1 (behind the music) Jerry Lee Lewis

FRIDAY APRIL 16
2:30 pm on BRAVO (arts & minds) Chick Corea

SATURDAY APRIL 17
7:30 am on E! (Mysteries & scandals) Billy/Dotothy Tipton
10 pm on TNN (Gaither Gospel Hour) Hour of good o'l georgia gospel music
1 am on TNN (gaither gospel hour) same as above

SUNDAY APRIL 18
5 pm on E! (mysteries & scandals) Billy/Dorothy Tipton
8 pm on TNN (all star tribute to Johnny cash) Johnny cash!*****
10 pm on TNN (johnny cash) see above

COMING SOON
4/28 Ben Folds Five on Letterman...i'll find out if SNZ will be with them.
5/4 Madness on Conan O'Brien (okay now related, but cool!!!)
5/14 Brian Setzer Orch. on Sessions at W. 54th

Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 12:02:39 EDT
From: Dragoon716@aol.com
Subject: Re: TV for April 12-18

is there really hardly anything on network tv?  That's wack, I see all this
cool stuff, and I can't watch any of it because it's all cable stuff.  I wish
my parents would spend the money to get cable.  Maybe I should not go to
college so they can afford it.  Later

Jose

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 12:35:09 -0400
From: Gerald Dishon
Subject: Re: SNZ behind the scenes

I wouldn't say I was TIGHT with the Zippers, having only been able to
see them once (it sucks being a poor college student), but THIS KEYBOARD
SUCKS!!!! AAAAAAHHHH sorry, the compter lab is looking at me funny now,
anyway, I seem to be able to weasel/wheedle into situations most people
can't.  Good ability to have ;-)

Gerald

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 12:37:57 -0400
From: Gerald Dishon
Subject: Going to college doesn't make your parents more able to afford anything

Jose:  See subject line. *grin*

Gerald

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 12:21:53 -0500
From: Jacob A Storbeck

I sympathize brother.  I've never had cable.
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 15:58:56 EDT
From: CHAMICLOV@aol.com
Subject: it's a breakthrough!

hi everyone! sorry i haven't posted anything in a while. the main reason
being that nothing zipperific ever happens to me or in this town or that i
hear of. so basically my life isn't that glamorous.....BBBUUUTTTT, something
amazing happened to me this weekend. i was at my local blockbuster store
renting movies for what was a very boring weekend, and just guess what was
playing on all the monitors when i was checking out.....the suits video. i
had never seen it before so i didn't know exactly what it was at first. my
first thought was that it was a preview to a movie and that song was on the
soundtrack or something. but i ran anxiously up to the cashier and asked him
(almost out of breath) what it was. he squinted up at the monitors with a
blank look, then looked back at me and said with this really burnt out voice,
"i have no idea what song this is. sorry" well, i snapped back "i KNOW what
song this is but what is it playing to promote?" so he finally called the
manager who was in the back and he clarified that it was their video. i was
ecstatic because i'm so out of touch with their current events and what-not
and i finally got to see one of their videos. so that's my exciting story of
the year. nothing earth shaking but a big thrill in my life ;-)

~brown eyed girl~

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 16:32:44 EDT
From: ElinaMalk@aol.com
Subject: Re: the-landing-digest V2 #73

I saw BOF open for the zippers, and i agree, andrew bird is GEORGOUS!  But
that eye contact thing did erk me.  Josh Hirch is really personable up there
though.  We exchanged glances for their  entire set and talked a bit after.
I should have gotten w/ him but everyone has to have something to regret.
Too bad their not hitting phiil on their tour.
- -elina

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 18:49:05 EDT
From: Dragoon716@aol.com

yeah, that's why I suggested that I should not go to college and same them
the money to spend on cable.  get it?  nice

Jose

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 00:38:57 GMT
From: kobyc@softhome.net (Peter Destructo)
Subject: Fred Flintstone meets George Jetson meets Peter Destructo meets Tom Maxwell

On Sun, 11 Apr 1999 13:07:16 -0400, you wrote:

>Anyone else have thoughts about the Zippers'  personalities from
>backstage meetings, etc.?  Ryan and I don't mean to dominate the
>conversation!  (Pardon my speaking for you, Ryan.)

I guess now would be a good time to share my own pithy experience with
meeting the band. I thought it was a big deal at the time, but ... eh.
:P

On April 26, 1998, I saw the Zips at some college (forgot its name) in
Hartford, CT. The opening band was Bio Ritmo. I went with my parents.
My dad just came to help with the driving; he doesn't really like the
Zippers (though he does like mainstream swing, now) so we didn't waste
the money on a ticket for him. I think he went to the library or
student center or something.

So, anyway, we were there pretty early. The show was during Passover,
the week where Jews can't eat bread or a few other staple foods. So we
packed a lunch and sat down on a bench facing a river which ran by the
the theater in a 30- or 40-degree angle.

So my parents and I were eating matzah meal rolls with cheese and some
vegetables when my dad looked over to our right and saw some people
walking around a big van (which, by the way, had Florida plates --
something my dad noticed -- but seriously, who cares?) and said, "You
think that's the band?" I figured they had better things to do besides
hanging out before the show. It never would have gotten farther than
that if it wasn't for my dad's utter lack of shame. He walked back
there, to check if it was actually them. After a minute or two, he
walked out from behind, waving and shouting at me. I was back there
like a bullet. Behold Tom, Stu and Ken. I was pretty nervous! I shook
hands with each of them, smiling like a madman. Tom (who was the most
outspoken of the bunch) asked me what my favorite song was, and I told
him. He whipped out a blank pad and a sharpie and signed:

			 TO COLBY --
		     "THERE'S _ALWAYS_
		       PLENTY MORE"
		       ~Tom Maxwell

I asked him if they were going to play it tonight. He kind of winced
and said, "We don't usually play that at shows." They didn't.

I probably should have told him how to spell Koby, but it's still
pretty cool. Tom's signature looks pretty hollywoodish, as did the
dedication. Stu and Ken signed below:

		     SWING!      Stu Cole
		Enjoy the Show! Ken Mosher

Chris Phillips was on the stage, tightening the heads or whatever it
is that drummers do before a performance. Stu took me back there to
meet him. He looked pretty crazy. He asked me where I was from. When I
answered, he placed the pad on his snare drum and scrawled --
                       _        /
		 |    / \ N G  I\ L A N |\ |
                 |__  \_/       /       |/ !
                     [unintelligible]

I was pretty confused. He just grinned freakishly.

On the way back outside, I asked Stu where Kate and Je were. He said
they were at the doctor's. I didn't ask him what was going on -- I was
practically hyperventilating at the time. Does anyone else know?

Once I got back out, my mom lamented the fact that we hadn't brought a
camera, and the three outside kind of grunted. I realized, though,
that we were about 200 yards from the campus student center. To make a
long story short, we were back by the big van about 20 minutes later
with a disposable flash camera. On my wall is a picture of (from left)
Tom, me, and Stu. I was so excited!

Oh yeah, the show. It was pretty good. ;)

Actually, it was awesome. Bio Ritmo played a great opening set,
featuring the drummer who came out from the back and sang "Ugly."
After listening to Sold Out, I was kind of hoping they'd join forces
for La Grippe, but they didn't. It took a while for SNZ to finally
come on, and the lead singer kept saying that they were coming -- oh,
wait, wait, never mind that. Maybe it was because of that business
with Kate, I don't know. When the Zippers finally DID come out, I
scrutinized her for what might have been wrong. I'll tell you one
thing: it sure as hell wasn't a sore throat. She sang beautifully. For
some reason, she looks kind of ugly in photos, but there's something
about seeing her in person that's just... I can't really describe it.
Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

Anyway, they played an awesome set. I don't remember the playlist but
I recognized most of the songs. The room itself was very small and
personal, with a dance floor in front of the seating. There was a
little room for dancing -- not much, but enough. I was afraid to ask
someone else to dance, but I had a jolly good time dancing with my
mom. During the break, the bald drummer dude from BR came out. I shook
his hand and went out to the lobby, armed with my mother's wallet and
came back with Roasted Right, the truck and SNZ candy bar logo
t-shirts, and a Bio Ritmo shirt (which I'm wearing now).

We went behind the place after the show, but nobody else was there. I
didn't really want to bother them again, so we went home.

Is there a point to this ridiculously long message? No, but if you run
the Bible Code software on it, I'm sure you'll find something.

So now you know

the rest of

the story.

Good day!

|                  PETER DESTRUCTO                      |
| "Bollocks" -Guy Fox Day                               |
|-------------------------------------------------------|
| http://members.xoom.com/pdestructo - the ghost quasar |
| space ghost reviewed links, images, fanfic, icons     |
| reviewed links updated Sunday (today)                 |

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 19:51:46 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: KAT & SNZ.

Did anybody sign up for the Katharine Whalen or SNZ mailing list's at
mammoth records????

Ay candela, candela, candela me quemo ae'. Puso un baile un juntia,
para una gran diversion. Salio el raton medio loco. La mujer cuando
se agacha, Se le abre el entendimiento. Y el hombre cuando lo mira,
Se le para el pensamiento. De ti me gusta una cosa, Sin que me cueste
trabajo. De la barriga pa'rriba, de la cintura pa'bajo.

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #76
********************************

the-landing-digest      Wednesday, April 14 1999      Volume 02 : Number 077

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  No Postin'               ["SHAUN SMAKAL" ]
  Re: KAT & SNZ.         [Dishon Gerald Robert ]
  Sorry, Jose            [Dishon Gerald Robert ]
  Re: No Postin'                       [kobyc@softhome.net (Peter Destructo)]
  Re: KAT & SNZ.                        ["Ryan Sargent" ]
  Jump Little Children                                    [CHAMICLOV@aol.com]
  Just out of curiosity...  [Dishon Gerald Robert ]

Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 10:43:32 +0000
From: "SHAUN SMAKAL"
Subject: No Postin'

	I ain't been postin anything because I have to do 1 research paper,
a literary anaylisis and diagram of at least nine books in a
particular area of study concerning the holocaust (WWII not Kosovo),
a group presentation of a possible advertising campaign to the
regional President and Vice President of Marketing for D&N Bank, and
I have to a complete set design (research, sketches, 1/4 scale
full-color model and plans) for my theatre design class all by next
week.  Plus I owe the IRS $481 because my boss failed to change my
W2 over a ago.

Immortal still kicks ass,
smakal

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 11:30:44 -0400
From: Dishon Gerald Robert
Subject: Re: KAT & SNZ.

I'm on the SNZ mailing list; do they have one for Kat?

And what's the translation for the stuff at the bottom (and where does
it come from)?  Some of us (well, me, anyway) have enough trouble with
English...

Gerald

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 11:35:25 -0400
From: Dishon Gerald Robert
Subject: Sorry, Jose

I didn't see the NOT in your message (see previous e-mail concerning
Mammoth mailing lists, paragraph 2).

Gerald

"Please don't cane me, sir!  I was led astray."-John Lennon, Hard Day's
Night

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 21:32:57 GMT
From: kobyc@softhome.net (Peter Destructo)
Subject: Re: No Postin'

On Tue, 13 Apr 1999 10:43:32 +0000, you wrote:

>Plus I owe the IRS $481 because my boss failed to change my
>W2 over a ago.

Well, you can always spend the week figuring out exactly what it is
that's up with the IRS -- I heard in a few places that it's reign of
terror is completely illegal, nobody is required to have a social
security number, etc. :)

|                  PETER DESTRUCTO                      |
| "Bollocks" -Guy Fox Day                               |
|-------------------------------------------------------|

Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 15:34:10 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"

Translation:

Oh fire, fire, fire, I'm burning! A rodent put on a dance for some
great amusement. The mouse left the room half-crazy. When a woman
bends over, She opens her mind. When a man looks at her, his brain
just stops. I like one thing about you, it's not hard to see. From
the belly down, from the waist up.

It's from the lyrics of the cuban song "Candela", off the cd "Buena
vista social club".

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 18:37:57 EDT
From: CHAMICLOV@aol.com
Subject: Jump Little Children

hi again. it's just me. i was wondering if anyone has ever heard of the band
Jump Little Children? I went to app-state last year in boone, nc where i
discovered them. in all actuality, i was also just introduced to snz last
year when i lived up there. i had not been familiar with the whole chapel
hill-raleigh-etc. array of bands that came out of those places, but when i
went to school up there, i was quickly enlightened.

anyway, back to jump little children. they came to play at legends, our
school sponsored dance club, and they ROCKED my world. according to a local
newspaper they're a blend of celtic, funk, blues, and pop music. i think they
came out of winston-salem but now reside in asheville. i was wondering if
they did any gigs with snz in the earlier years of their career? hhmmm....
well they have a very unique sound to them if you have the chance to check
them out. the lead singer plays the melodica, which i had never even seen or
heard of before i saw them. a big plus too girls (and maybe guys) they're all
wicked HOT! at the show at school me and my friend waited around after most
of the people cleared out and they all came out to hang. one of the guys (i
can't remember which one but he was in the band and hot as well) came up to
me and said he loved my jacket (it was green velvet). i smiled shyly and said
thanks and then he invited me and my friend to their asheville show the next
night, but we were unable to make it due to a conflict with our classes,
DAMMIT!

ok, SO, any feedback, comments, information about this band that anyone has
please JUMP (pardon the pun) on in here and discuss with me. i, at least,
thought they were zipperific enough to be mentioned in here, ya know, and
since they come out of nc and everything makes it all the more better ;-)

~brown eyed girl~

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 19:27:34 -0400
From: Dishon Gerald Robert
Subject: Just out of curiosity...

How many people on this list have ties of one sort or another to N.C.?
I go to college in the west part of the state (at Brevard); anyone else?

Gerald

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 20:32:52 EDT
From: Dragoon716@aol.com

what the devil?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 20:52:37 EDT
From: ProfPlum97@aol.com
Subject: Re: Just out of curiosity...

No NC link here.....
- -GaTS

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 19:11:36 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: SNZ & BOF genres.

Andrew Bird and his 'Bowl of Fire' musical group will entertain those
who listen with a novel and piquant assortment of adroitly dispatched
arias, serenades and revelry dances that some may call swing, hot-
jazz, cabaret or calypso...good music.

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #77
********************************

the-landing-digest      Thursday, April 15 1999      Volume 02 : Number 078

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  Jump, Little Children                [Dig that crazy chick ]
  RE: J,LC, ties to NC                           [jbrandt ]
  Re:  Just out of curiosity...  ["SHAUN SMAKAL" ]
  Re: Fred Flintstone meets George Jetson meets Peter Destructo meets Tom Maxwell  [Jacob A Storbeck

time for me to resurface, i suppose. and what better time to do it at
the beginning of a thread about a band i love.

Three Facts about Jump, Little Children (the comma is important!):
1. they rock
2. matt bivins has sexy hips
3. they're never coming to Los Angeles, EVER *pout*pout*

I'm pretty certain they have never played with the Zippers. They're from
SC, not NC. they all live together in a house in Charleston, i believe.
They have three albums; The Licorice Tea Demos, Buzz and their major
label release, Magazine.
LTD and Buzz are only available in the South, but Magazine is widely
distributed by their label, Atlantic. Magazine is polished rock, Buzz is
live and LTD shows off more of their roots in Irish music and the songs
they played busking in Ireland, Boston and all over the southern US.
and Matt songs are sexier than Jay songs, but Jay has a better voice (an
an incredible side project called Rosebud).

fin.

~Courtney
The Sultraness of Swing
"If I tell you, there will be drama. Like not-funny 'Roseanne' drama."
- --
*************
ICQ: 24901402
AOL IM: CourtSpork
Laugh until you wet yourself; read The Shrubbery.
http://www.theshrubbery.prohosting.com
Listen to my radio show, "Swing and the Single Girl" every Tuesday night
from 12-4am PST live in Real Audio at http://kscr.usc.edu.
*************

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 10:58:12 -0400
From: jbrandt
Subject: RE: J,LC, ties to NC

Jump, Little Children is probably one of the most favorite bands in the Ben
Folds Five camp of folks. I picked up their CD "Magazine"...unfortunately it
was the same night that i saw SNZ in columbus, and the same time i got
"Thrills" so needless to say that CD just sort of got thrown to the wayside. I
didn't much care for it, but i think it's because i am not actually a pop fan.
Dumb as that may sound because i love BFF and BNL....

However, I have heard wonderful wonderful things about their live shows, and I
hope to catch them next time they come around.

The Shrubbery ran an article and interview with Matt Bivins of J,LC last
month. You can find it on the index here:

http://www.theshrubbery.prohosting.com/0399/main.html

I don't have any ties to North Carolina accept that two of my friends live in
Chapel Hill (that's who i stayed with when i went down a few weeks ago), i am
buddies with Ben Folds (who lives in Chapel hill for the moment but is moving
to Austraila) and my best friend from 5th grade lives in Apex and goes to ECU.

Oh, and I know the drummer from Athanaeum and singer of Zen Frisbee/the
Fontanells.

As for living there or having family there...no.

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 11:13:02 +0000
From: "SHAUN SMAKAL"

I think my Grandma has some cousins or somethin down their.  Maybe
its South Carolina.....       Oh, hell I don't know.   Not any
connection that I know of.

Immortal continues to thoroughly kick some serious ass,
smakal

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 11:27:48 EDT
From: CHAMICLOV@aol.com

well, like i said, i went to college at appstate last year in boone, but
hated it (sorry app. mountain fans) but i've been around the brevard college
area and it's a pretty place to vacation, but not my kind of place to live.
so, i moved back home to fla......but, i still have a nc driver's license
with an asheville address on it (we have a cabin up there) so i can establish
residency up there for a possible attendance to nc state next year. but,
anyway, my point, asheville's my second home even though i have no family up
there, it's just familiar because we've been taking family vacations up there
for every year since i was very little ;-)

~brown eyed girl~

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 11:36:41 EDT
From: CHAMICLOV@aol.com
Subject: Re: Jump, Little Children

i have to agree about the matt bivins thing, he's ssssooooo YUMMY! and i have
two huge newspaper pictures of the group that they all look good in. one of
the articles from those newspapers said they were all living together in
winston-salem at the time but that was about a year ago, things could've
changed. ok, but back to their MUSIC, buzz is the album that i recorded from
one of my friends (favorite songs = innocent kiss and opium) and is the one
they played all their songs from when i saw their show. i didn't know about
their other two albums--thanks for the info. i'm going to run right out and
get "magazine" so i can listen to it and wish i was back in asheville ;-)

~brown eyed girl~

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 12:42:33 EDT
From: CHAMICLOV@aol.com
Subject: clarification?

ok, after going to j,lc's (i remembered the comma this time) website i've
discovered that it says nothing of where they all are originally from, but
they all met and lived in winston-salem while attending the nc school of
arts, dropped out and moved to ireland, then came back and lived in
charleston for a few years (and i think boston was mentioned somewhere in
there too) and that's where they became semi-bigtime. ok, now i'll be fine,
it was just so confusing and all this research has gotten me hungry. time to
eat ;-)

~brown eyed girl~

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 16:56:41 -0500
From: Jacob A Storbeck

The only thing that ties me is My love for SNZ.

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 16:50:34 -0500
From: Jacob A Storbeck

That's really cool man.
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #78
********************************

the-landing-digest       Friday, April 16 1999       Volume 02 : Number 079

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  SLEEPING NAKED.                       ["Ryan Sargent" ]
  Zippers gone                            [Jessica Brandt ]
  jazz squad dates                        [Jessica Brandt ]
  RE: Zippers gone                        [Dawn Carr ]

Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 12:26:36 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: SLEEPING NAKED.

I just got a really good cd off ebay called "sleeping naked".

LIVE 1998
1. Ghost of Stephen Foster
2. Evening at Lafitte's
3. Suits are Picking Up The Bill
4. Hell
5. Put a Lid on It
6. I've Found a New Baby
7. That Fascinating Thing

SESSIONS AT WEST 54TH - 1997
8. Lover's Lane
9. Danny Diamond
10. It Ain't You
11. Hell
12. Club Limbo
13. Put a Lid on It
14. Ghost of Stephen Foster

LATE NIGHT WITH DAVID LETTERMAN
15. Suits are Picking Up The Bill

LIVE WITH REGIS AND KATHY SHOW
16. Fat Cat Keeps Getting Fatter
17. Night and Day (w/Howie Evans)

P.S: "The Max Wienberg 7" is the best band on t.v.!!!!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 16:41:53 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt
Subject: Zippers gone

Well i don;'t know how many times this willb e posted here today, but it's
freakin' horrible. This is off www.snzippers.com :

Sorry to Inform you, but the Squirrel Nut
  Zippers have called it quits as a band, at
   least until the current legal situation is
   resolved. We are simultaneously being
    sued for using the name Squirrel Nut
Zippers, and being threatened with lawsuit
 if we change our name. Spending time and
    money to tour and record are foolish
  under these circumstances. More details
                        later.

So how do you like that? I am crushed (like a cumin seed) that they have
broken up. Six months i could handle, but now...i don't know.

However, I don't blame them in the least for taking time off to get things
straight. The Zippers used the name with permission from the original
owners of the company. it's since changed hands and no doubt the new owners
are trying to cash in on their success.

However, they are going to be sued for changing their name, probably by the
label and whoever else had a hand in marketing the name "Squirrel Nut
Zippers". So what are they to do? I hope they have some damn fine lawyers.

Matt Mitchell's page reports there will be a tour of the west coast later
on and a new album, but he updated the page April 14 and Kenny updated
snzippers.com on the 15th, so....don't be too hopeful about anything new
right now.

Welp, we've still got kat's solo album to look forward to on May 25, as
well as Tom's solo, new Knockdown stuff, Ken and Tom on tour with BFF
(hopefully) and Kat's Jazz Squad tour. There's also Andrew Bird's tour and
various going-on with the Zippers recording with other folks.

I haven't heard anything frm my buddy who's close with the band. perhaps
he's hiding out, avoiding further lawsuits. i don't know. I'm pretty much
in the dark about everything right now. Don't consider this the ultimate
end of the Zippers. I think they'll be back. they'll fight it.

I'll have more info on this the second i get some. damn.

Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 16:56:18 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt
Subject: jazz squad dates

uhm, on a lighter note, here's some dates for the Katherine Whalen's Jazz
Squad tour:

  Date	          Day      City              Venue
  6/1/1999	   Tues     Carrboro, NC      Cat's Cradle
  6/2/1999       Wed      Baltimore, MD     The Recher Theater
  6/6/1999       Sun      Northampton, MA  Pearl Street (downstairs)
  6/7/1999       Mon      New York, NY      Bowery Ballroom
  6/9/1999       Wed      Alexandria, VA    The Birchmere

So...yeah....i guess some of you lucky bastards in the new england area
will be seeing Zippers sometime soon. Here's a lineup for the "squad" as
found on MTV.com:

The group features three other members of the
Zippers, namely co-founder Jim Mathus
(vocals, guitar, trombone), Stu Cole (bass)
and Je Widenhouse (trumpet) as well as
another five local players from hometown
Chapel Hill, NC, namely Robert Griffin,
Ted Zaras, Cecil Johnson, John Kennedy
and Mike Mingus.

you can find a good article with good updates at:
http://www.mtv.com/sendme.cgi?http://www.mtv.com/news/gallery/s/squirrel9903
05.html

Notably, Cecil Johnson is the excellent and very cool sax player who was
with the Countdown Quartet when i saw them in Chapel Hill.

Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 17:02:31 -0400
From: Dawn Carr
Subject: RE: Zippers gone

But...but...NO!

End of the-landing-digest V2 #79
********************************

the-landing-digest      Saturday, April 17 1999      Volume 02 : Number 080

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  WHAT!?!?!?!?                          ["Ryan Sargent" ]
  RE: Zippers gone                      ["Ryan Sargent" ]
  ANOTHER KEN UPDATE.                   ["Ryan Sargent" ]
  more news                               [Jessica Brandt ]
  Re: Zippers gone                                 [Matt Akin ]

Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 15:23:24 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: WHAT!?!?!?!?

WHAT!?!?!?!? SNZ was the last band I'd thought would do that. Still,
I don't know why, but I don't think SNZ will break up. Fat cat keeps
getting fatter I guess. On the other hand Katharine Whalen's Jazz
squad is coming near me twice. Once in Baltamore, and once in
Virginia. I'm about to write ken with my concern...maybe. Or Jim &
Kat by mail.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 15:30:22 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"

I just went to the official page, and it looked like ken went back
and took out the part about calling it quits...or maybe it's just my
compter.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 17:16:24 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: ANOTHER KEN UPDATE.

This was just posted on the Official site:

I must point out that the following comments/opinions are mine alone.
Posted By Ken Mosher:

The Squirrel Nut Zippers are being sued for using the name Squirrel
Nut Zippers. Because of the complex legal issues, I cannot comment
further; I might get in more trouble than being sued, right?! The
band has not broken up, as I previously stated. I'm sorry for
misinforming you, but these circumstances are both professionally and
emotionally difficult, and I let my frustration get the best of me.
While I personally feel that spending time and money to tour and
record are foolish under the cloud of these circumstances, and that
our efforts over the last year and a half to rectify this situation
have been for naught, I do not speak for anyone but myself. I do hope
that these issues can be resolved, so the band may continue to make
great music together. More details later.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 21:37:20 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt
Subject: more news

Welp, Kenny updated the page again and this is what he has to say now:

 I must point out that the following comments/opinions
        are mine alone. Posted By Ken Mosher:

  The Squirrel Nut Zippers are being sued for using the
name Squirrel Nut Zippers. Because of the complex legal
  issues, I cannot comment further; I might get in more
    trouble than being sued, right?! The band has not
     broken up, as I previously stated. I'm sorry for
   misinforming you, but these circumstances are both
  professionally and emotionally difficult, and I let my
  frustration get the best of me. While I personally feel
  that spending time and money to tour and record are
 foolish under the cloud of these circumstances, and that
  our efforts over the last year and a half to rectify this
    situation have been for naught, I do not speak for
  anyone but myself. I do hope that these issues can be
 resolved, so the band may continue to make great music
              together. More details later.

So,shall I say sorry for the mix-up? But, things are still really shady.
Looks like Ken's a little upset to say the least. Who can blame him?

Keep an eye out.

Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 23:03:38 -0700
From: Matt Akin

Nope... your not on drug... the band has not called it quits...
Hopefully they can get this resolved quickly....

Ryan Sargent wrote:

> I just went to the official page, and it looked like ken went back
> and took out the part about calling it quits...or maybe it's just my
> compter.
>
> >> Sorry to Inform you, but the Squirrel Nut
> >>   Zippers have called it quits as a band, at
> >>    least until the current legal situation is
> >>    resolved. We are simultaneously being
> >>     sued for using the name Squirrel Nut
> >> Zippers, and being threatened with lawsuit
> >>  if we change our name. Spending time and
> >>     money to tour and record are foolish
> >>   under these circumstances. More details
> >>                         later.

End of the-landing-digest V2 #80