Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 07:28:22 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: TOM & KEN.

I know that Tom and Ken were touring with Ben Folds Five. And Ben
Folds Five is on Letterman this wednesday...do you think that Tom and
Ken will do the horns on that????

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 12:26:41 -0700
From: bob pigeon
Subject: Re: DUKE.

>Did anyone get to see Wynton & orchestra's tribute to Duke
>ellington????

speaking of ellington, to anyone in new york city (and surrounding areas?)
89.9 FM, columbia's radio station, is doing a week long festival...216 hours
of ellington...

it started already
goes to may 1st i think

- ---
"The Kingdom of the heavens is like a treasure hidden in the
 field, which a man found and hid; and for the joy he has he goes
 and sells what things he has and buys that field."
                                      -- Matthew 13:44

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 13:54:18 -0400
From: "Matty J."
Subject: Re: TOM & KEN.

>I know that Tom and Ken were touring with Ben Folds Five.

Is that true? I just saw them a week ago and they weren't there. There
was a guy who was with the opening act (Flemming & John)(his name was
John) who came out and played a 30 second solo on their first song with
some weird horn. Also strange, during his actual performance, he had a
trombone that had trumpet keys. Also weird, the guy looked remarkedly
like Tom, but i know it wasn't him. Somehow I doubt with all that is
going on they would be hitting the road...

Matt

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 00:13:48 -0400
From: Andy Harman

At 01:54 PM 4/24/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Is that true? I just saw them a week ago and they weren't there. There
>was a guy who was with the opening act (Flemming & John)(his name was
>John) who came out and played a 30 second solo on their first song with
>some weird horn. Also strange, during his actual performance, he had a
>trombone that had trumpet keys.

The latter is a valve trombone.  Has the same sound and projection of a
trombone, but the valves allow faster transitions impossible with the
slide.  Of course you lose the ability to slide from one note to the next.
Can you describe the "wierd horn" in a bit more detail?  Size?  Material?
Shape? Type of action (valves, keys, etc).

Andy

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 00:15:02 -0400
From: Andy Harman
Subject: Re: OLD CONAN.

At 05:29 PM 4/23/99 PDT, you wrote:
>Does anybody have the first SNZ spot on Conan O'brien???? ("lover's
>lane") If so, i'm looking to trade.

I don't have it but I'd love to get my hands on it.  The short video clip
of it on the HOT multimedia CD looks really hot... if it's that good it's
one of their best TV performances ever.

Andy

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 00:36:07 -0400
From: Andy Harman
Subject: Playing SNZ Licks

At 02:42 PM 4/21/99 PDT, you wrote:

>I'm right now memorizing the horns off LEGACY. Does anybody on this
>list ever try to play SNZ songs???? (what instrument?)

Sure.  I started playing sax on account of SNZ.  True!  First thing I ever
learned was the bari solo from "Put a Lid On It".  I've pretty much played
as many songs as I can find a distinct alto or baritone sax part - "Suits",
"Got my Own Thing Now", "Twilight", "Bad Businessman", the alto solo from
"Hell", the melody part from "Memphis Exorcism".  Back in Cincinnati last
Sept. Ken even invited me to blow a few licks on his horn... I declined -
I'm still pretty bad now and was worse then :-)  I've only been playing sax
since Christmas of '97 but it has been a lot of fun to rediscover music.  I
grew up with music - both parents taught music lessons, dad was a former
symphony clarinetist.  But since high school I've pretty much just been a
listener (and critic).  SNZ changed all that.  I still play trombone (as I
did in high school) but I'm very rusty... most of the effort has been sax -
alto, tenor, bari with emphasis on bari.

I've also played Tom's bone solo from "Fascinating Thing" (ain't hard, just
takes a bit of lip building) and Duke's fabulous trumpet solo from "Got my
Own Thing Now" on alto sax (can't get squat out of a trumpet).

Basically I practice my various exercises, my playalong CD of songs and
blues chord lines for improv (what my teacher is mostly having me work on
now) and then end the session with "Play along with Ken".

Surely we've got a guitarist out there who has given a whirl to "Pallin'
with Al" or "Whing Whang" or "Interlocutor".

BTW, I think Ken's Conn bari is still for sale for $1700.  I passed on
it... maybe someday I'll buy it if it's still around when I have the $$ for
that kind of souveneer.  Most of the CD's were recording using Chris'
brother's old Buescher bari; Ken bought the Conn (70's vintage) for the
tour in late 96 sometime, used it for maybe 6-8 months(?) then they got the
Selmer endorsement and all the new hardware.  I play Selmer alto and tenor
(S80 II and III respecitvely, same as Ken & Tom) and a Yanagisawa B990
baritone which blows the current Selmer S80-II bari into the weeds.  Ken
said it took a bit of adjusting to get used to the Selmer bari, it sounds
like a clarinet in the upper register (true) but a good player can make the
horn sound his own unique sound.  If we get together again I wanted to let
him try my Yanagisawa bari, but he might not want to put it down --- then
they'd lose the Selmer freebies .

Anybody out there tried to chart SNZ tunes?  I can chart the licks I know,
but that's about it.  Full scoring would be cool, but the band isn't going
to do it... need to find someone with a good ear and lots of experience
charting.  In the 20's and 30's guys used to sit in the audience and chart
live performances on the fly, they'd have the sheet music on the stands in
a week!

Andy

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 03:51:22 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt
Subject: Re: banner, DC, NPR

>If you make a banner, I'll put it on my page, but only if there's a
>non-animated version.

I'm too dumb to do amination.

So I was in DC the last 2 days. ugh, what a mess. I know what you're
thinking -- No, i'm not in NATO. :P

I saw the Ben Folds Five show at American Univ. (w/BBVD, strangely enough).
Scotty was bowing down to Ben. DAMN STRAIGHT!

Anyway, I was talking to Darren (of BFF) after the show and I brought up
the Zippers (i had to break it to them that i like SNZ more than BFF> but
it's a small margin.) and Darren said "oh they were in DC just yesterday
doing a thing for NPR"....i didn't ask him to elaborate. I don't listen to
NPR but i'm sure someone out there does...I emailed the station but who
knows what i'll get. keep your ears open.

Ryan, I have Andrew on NPR, and so does Dawn. You can trade with her if she
wants to, or i will trade (but i am slow). email one of us.

Oh, and see, Dawn agrees with me. No rude letters to Squirrel Brand. Let
Koby write an inquiry, and then we can shell 'em.

Jess

          *      --+-READ THE SHRUBBERY-+--        *
          http://www.theshrubbery.prohosting.com
     --New Every Month- -Humor, Music, News and More--

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #88
********************************

the-landing-digest       Monday, April 26 1999       Volume 02 : Number 089

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  re: TOM & KEN                           [Jessica Brandt ]
  Re: trombone with trumpet keys  [Princess Deception ]
  Re: TOM & KEN.                        ["Ryan Sargent" ]
  Re: Playing SNZ Licks                 ["Ryan Sargent" ]
  page update.                          ["Ryan Sargent" ]

Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 04:23:52 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt

John, of Fleming & John, is an absolute SWEETHEART. I love him to death. i
got to meet him and his lovely fleming friday night.

The horn he plays is called a "flugelhorn" (probably misspelled) which is
just like a tumpet but with a larger bore and a mellower sound.

Tom and Ken, as far as I know, are not going to go around with BFF for any
of the tour. They might do a random show here or there. Maybe cleveland cuz
i asked them to ;) I highly doubt they will catch up with BFF on Letterman.
They'll most likely do "army" and the guys have it worked out that Rob and
Darren sing the horn parts. it's lovely. Who knows, tho. Maybe they'll
surprise us :)

April 28 is my birthday, so maybe my birthday wishes will come true and the
Zippers will play with BFF (actually, they'd all have to be on Conan, not
Letterman for me to officially be F*CKING EXCITED)

;)

Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 07:10:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: Princess Deception
Subject: Re: trombone with trumpet keys

i've heard a valve trombone and recently played one,
and there is a reason why they are not played often....
===
"I'm sick!"  "The chicken will make you feel better!"

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 10:30:28 EDT
From: Dragoon716@aol.com

I have a valve trombone.  Weird, I never knew what it was.  I never play it
or anything, but it's always been in the closet.  ha ha, now I know what it
is.  Ah the benefits of being on such an enjoyable and informative mailing
list.  On another subject, what's the final consensus for our actions dealing
with the squirrel brand company?  Just wondering, not that I'm militant, I
was just wondering if we had come to a conclusion yet.  Anyway talk to you
all later.

§ - Drags - §

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 12:21:06 -0400
From: Dishon Gerald Robert
Subject: Stuff

Happy birthday on Wednesday, Jessica; that also happens to be my
birthday.

I wrote SBC; I am expecting an answer back late this week, or early next
week.  I just asked them what the status of the lawsuit was, and what
the grounds were.

Flugelhorns are technically more closely related to the cornets; both
have a conical bore, like French Horns and tubas, as opposed to the
cylindrical bore of trumpets and trombones.  Valve trombones tend to be
very stuffy compared to their slide counterparts; they haven't been used
extensively since the early part of this century.  (There are advantages
to being a brass music major, like being able to tell people this
stuff.)

Andy: I have done some transcriptions; last year in high school, we did
a spoof of Hell that I thought up for a pep assembly.  Transcribing
isn't that hard, but it does take a little practice and a good ear.  If
you can pick up on the solos, you have the ear, so just start listening
to different lines and writing them down.  Start with something simple
(like Hell) and work up to the more complex stuff.  Write me personally
if you want to chat about this more.

That's all from this end.

Gerald

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 18:08:48 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"

>John) who came out and played a 30 second solo on their first song
>with some weird horn.

Flugelhorn? super bone?

> Also strange, during his actual performance, he had a trombone
>that had trumpet keys. Also wierd.

A valve trombone.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 18:26:02 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: Re: Playing SNZ Licks

I've transcribed "Stephen Foster", thats about all i've gotten around
to. One of my teachers bands did a cover of "Hell", and he said that
the trombone player transcribed that. I only wrote down the first
part of that. In the old issue of Windplayer (with Jim, tom, Je, and
Ken) the mag transcribed "flight of the passing fancy" (and put down
which part was played by alto, bari, and trumpet).

Just in case anybody wanted to know, in the latest issue of Downbeat
magazine SNZ has a full page add on the back. Well, it is an add for
selmer/bach horns & SNZ (the SNZ poster off selmers web-page). The
issue also has a big two and a half page article on New Orleans
Klezmer All-Stars.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 18:51:45 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: page update.

Ken Updated the official page a little bit.

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #89
********************************

the-landing-digest       Tuesday, April 27 1999       Volume 02 : Number 090

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  Re:  HOBAX               ["SHAUN SMAKAL" ]
  Re: TOM & KEN.                       [kobyc@softhome.net (Peter Destructo)]
  Re: banner, DC, NPR                  [kobyc@softhome.net (Peter Destructo)]
  Re: TOM & KEN.                        ["Ryan Sargent" ]
  TV                                      [Jessica Brandt ]
  Re: TOM & KEN.                       [kobyc@softhome.net (Peter Destructo)]
  Re: TOM & KEN.                        ["Ryan Sargent" ]
  ANDREW BIRD ON FILM!!!!               ["Ryan Sargent" ]
  SNZ on letterman                        [Jessica Brandt ]

Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 10:45:45 +0000
From: "SHAUN SMAKAL"
Subject: Re:  HOBAX

What if we don't live in the bloody triangle!!??!!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 18:54:19 GMT
From: kobyc@softhome.net (Peter Destructo)

On Sun, 25 Apr 1999 18:08:48 PDT, you wrote:

>Flugelhorn? super bone?

WHat the heck is a super bone?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 19:04:01 GMT
From: kobyc@softhome.net (Peter Destructo)

On Sun, 25 Apr 1999 03:51:22 -0500, you wrote:

>Oh, and see, Dawn agrees with me. No rude letters to Squirrel Brand. Let
>Koby write an inquiry, and then we can shell 'em.

Who, me?

Okay, I guess it's me.

Can you send me (for the last time, I *promise*) the subs. info? I'll
put it in the letter. Maybe an official SBC rep will join the list
(but I doubt it).

- -Peter Destructo
http://members.xoom.com/pdestructo/sg - The Ghost Quasar
Space Ghost reviewed links, icons, fanfic, pictures
"Whoa! Hitler's birthday was four-twenty?!" -anonymous self-proclaimed
crack addict in my Chem class, upon hearing the reason behind the
Trenchcoat Mafia's choice of timing

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 12:08:13 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"

You would have to ask Maynard Ferguson.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 15:59:20 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt
Subject: TV

Ugh, not such a great week for stuff on TV. nothing at all to see monday,
tuesday, or sunday. Oh well, at least there's that big swing thing on the
29th on AMC. I bet a lot of folks on this list will get into it.

All times eastern, ***** "pick to click" and check out www.rockontv.com for
updates, questions, or other schtuff.

WEDNESDAY APRIL 28 (happy brthday gerald!!)
8 pm on TNN (Century of Country) documentary, this part is "Honky Tonk"*****
11:35 on CBS (letterman) Ben Folds Five (you never know...)*****

THURSDAY APRIL 29 (happy birthday Duke Ellington!)
10 pm on AMC (AMC swings) huge swing thing in honor of Duke, starring
Cherry Poppin' Daddies (and 'professional swing dancers')*****
11:35 on CBS (letterman) Madness. Not swing, but weird uncles of ska.
3 am on AMC (AMC swings) see above

FRIDAY APRIL 30
1:30 am on VH1 (legends) Johnny Cash
2:30 am on Vh1 (behind the music) Willie Nelson

SATURDAY MAY 1
3 pm on SUNDANCE (swingers) Swingers

Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 22:35:25 GMT
From: kobyc@softhome.net (Peter Destructo)

On Mon, 26 Apr 1999 12:08:13 PDT, you wrote:

>>WHat the heck is a super bone?
>
>You would have to ask Maynard Ferguson.

Okay, so what the heck is a Manyard Ferguson?

Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 15:55:08 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"

Well, Maynard Ferguson is a well known trumpeter. He (I think it was
him) invented a valve & slide trumpet called a firebird (a trumpet
with optional slide, like a trombone). He also invented (I think) a
superbone. Which is something like a firebird...i'm not sure though,
i'll check. You should check out Maynard's new cd called BRASS
ATTITUDE. It has a song on there that sounds like its lifted right
from the opening to "Stephen Foster" (and he uses a Flugelhorn,
firebird, and superbone...great song!!!!)

Has anybody heard of a band called CUBANISMO????

Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 19:27:49 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: ANDREW BIRD ON FILM!!!!

This was from www.downbeatjazz.com : "Andrew Bird, that is. The
Chicago violinist recently completed playing on the score of the
forthcoming Tim Robbins film, The Cradle Will Rock. For the music,
written by Robbins' brother David, Bird played some improvised tunes
with saxophonist Paquito D'Rivera. Robbins wrote and directed the
movie, which is set in 1930s New York and based on the 1937 Orson
Welles play of the same name. John Cusack plays Nelson Rockefeller in
the movie, which also features Hank Azaria, Bill Murray, Joan Cusack,
Emily Watson, Susan Sarandon, Vanessa Redgrave, Ruben Blades, John
Turturro and Cary Elwes.

Bird, who used to tour with the Squirrel Nut Zippers, also just
finished his second album on Rykodisc with his band Bowl Of Fire.
Titled Oh The Grandeur!, the album was recorded in New Orleans in
February is scheduled for a fall release."

How about that!!!! Andrew is out there getting the attention he
deserves.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 03:01:22 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt
Subject: SNZ on letterman

Hey, ben tells me that the zippers horn section will be on Letterman with
BFF on april 28 (wednesday). Yay!!

Also, check out the website (www.snzippers.com) for some sad news. it was
updated twice yesterday, so even if you saw it in the afternoon, it changed
by "dinnertime."

Jess
          *      --+-READ THE SHRUBBERY-+--        *
          http://www.theshrubbery.prohosting.com
     --New Every Month- -Humor, Music, News and More--

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #90
********************************

the-landing-digest      Wednesday, April 28 1999      Volume 02 : Number 091

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  Re: SuperBones         [Dishon Gerald Robert ]
  Re: TV                            [bob pigeon ]
  DUKE ELLINGTON.                       ["Ryan Sargent" ]

Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 13:06:54 -0400
From: Dishon Gerald Robert
Subject: Re: SuperBones

A superbone is a slide trombone with an additional valve set, and on some
models, I think, the trigger(s) found on Tenor/Bass trombones.  Congrats,
Ryan, you win a cookie.

Jimbo does not use a superbone, as they are fairly rare.  (The preceding
line was the SNZ tie-in for this message.)

Gerald

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 17:05:23 -0700
From: bob pigeon
Subject: Re: TV

>11:35 on CBS (letterman) Madness. Not swing, but weird uncles of ska.

our house in the middle of the street...
those guys?
bad craziness

- ---
"So you don't want to study?  What can you do?  What good are you?
 What can you *do*?  It has cost me thousands of dollars to raise
 you, feed you, and clothe you!  Suppose I left you here on the
 street?  Then what would you do?"
"Catch butterflies"
				-- Charles Bukowski

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 16:16:13 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: DUKE ELLINGTON.

This thursday at 8pm BET jazz is having a show on the life of Duke
Ellington.

I also really want to see the BET jazz profile on Dizzy Gillespie. I
saw some of it a while ago, but never taped it...and didn't see the
Afro cuban jazz part. If anybody knows when it might come on again
please tell me. -Thanks.

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #91
********************************

the-landing-digest      Thursday, April 29 1999      Volume 02 : Number 092

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  Re: the-landing-digest V2 #90                           [ElinaMalk@aol.com]
  Birthday               [Dishon Gerald Robert ]
  Re: Birthday                                           [ProfPlum97@aol.com]
  Re: Birthday                      [bob pigeon ]
  Re: Birthday                               ["Matty J." ]
  RE: Birthday                            [Dawn Carr ]
  You say it's your birthday?!         [Dig that crazy chick ]
  Re: You say it's your birthday?!           ["Matty J." ]
  Re: Birthday                          ["Ryan Sargent" ]
  homophobia on coolist?                                 [Dragoon716@aol.com]
  Re: homophobia on coolist?                             [ProfPlum97@aol.com]
  Re:  the-landing-digest V2 #91                          [ElinaMalk@aol.com]
  RE:QUE PASO                                             [ElinaMalk@aol.com]
  just somehting that is bugging me                       [ElinaMalk@aol.com]
  Re: just somehting that is bugging me                  [Dragoon716@aol.com]
  I thought about... your mommy...           ["Matty J." ]
  BFF & SNZ.                            ["Ryan Sargent" ]
  Re: BFF & SNZ.                             ["Matty J." ]
  Letterman                              ["Tyler Adams" ]

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 09:40:57 EDT
From: ElinaMalk@aol.com
Subject: Re: the-landing-digest V2 #90

cubanisimo is great.  They're one of the few bands that has ever inspired my
mom to dance.  And not only did she dance, she danced in a pair of stilettos.
- -elina

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 10:53:52 -0400
From: Dishon Gerald Robert
Subject: Birthday

(Cue Beatles' White Album, side 3)

[duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duuuh-duh-duh]
They say it's your birthday
[duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duuuh-duh-duh]
It's my birthday too, yeah....

Anyway, happy birthday Jessica.

No reply from SBC yet, but I keep looking in my mailbox (and found packages
from the folks this morning!!)

Out of sheer bordom, I started looking for superbones on the web; the only
place I could find that still makes one is Holton, which is a subsidiary of
Leblanc.  Go to www.gleblanc.com   and poke around
until you find their instrument lists; you need Adobe Acrobat to view the
picture (which is in one of their online catalogs), but it is unlike most
things I have ever seen.

[duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duuuh-duh-duh]
I'm glad it's your birthday
[duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duuuh-duh-duh]
Happy birthday to you....

Gerald

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 15:59:46 EDT
From: ProfPlum97@aol.com
Subject: Re: Birthday

Twas my birthday on monday. I'll appropriate the song for myself as well...
Frabjous month!  Callooh!  Callay! Happy birthday everyone born  in april and
may!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 16:56:32 -0700
From: bob pigeon

At 03:59 PM 4/28/99 EDT, ProfPlum97@aol.com wrote:
>Twas my birthday on monday. I'll appropriate the song for myself as well...
>Frabjous month!  Callooh!  Callay! Happy birthday everyone born  in april and
>may!

my birthday is on saturday
the first of may
may day!!!

- ---

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 18:04:19 -0400
From: "Matty J."

Mine was on the 8th if anyone cares.... :)

Matty J.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 18:20:56 -0400
From: Dawn Carr

OK, birthdays are way more fun than the homophobia on snz@coolist.

Mine is May 16.  The big three-oh as they say.

Anyone else spy similarity twixt An Evening at Lafitte's and the Sheik of
Araby?

~D.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 15:24:45 -0700
From: Dig that crazy chick
Subject: You say it's your birthday?!

this is a short post just to mention that today, April 28th is JESSICA
BRANDT'S BIRTHDAY!!

so eat, drink and be merry. because I say so.

oh yeah, and supposedly this band that has a piano is on some talk show
tonight. whatever THAT'S all about.

~Courtney
The Sultraness of Swing
"They have a whole relationship with dairy products that I don't
understand."

- --
*************
ICQ: 24901402
AOL IM: CourtSpork
Laugh until you wet yourself; read The Shrubbery.
http://www.theshrubbery.prohosting.com
Listen to my radio show, "Swing and the Single Girl" every Tuesday night
from 12-4am PST live in Real Audio at http://kscr.usc.edu.
*************

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 19:45:01 -0400
From: "Matty J."
Subject: Re: You say it's your birthday?!

Just got the new disc today; sounds pretty good. A little more
experimental than their previous stuff (kind of like Fear of Pop) but the
tracks with Ken and Tom on them are awsome. Later, and don't forget to
listen to my show tomorrow (thursday) 12-2 pm. Go to www.bates.edu/wrbc
for either the live cybercast or the archives up to 10 days later.

Matty J.

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 16:59:19 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"

I just found out that my birthday (october 22nd) is the day after
Dizzy Gillespie's...I'm honored.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 21:47:59 EDT
From: Dragoon716@aol.com
Subject: homophobia on coolist?

homophobia on snz@coolist.com?  what's that all about?  you don't really have
to respond, that was in most part a rhetorical question.  Anyway , sorry to
waste your time with that.  Happy birthday to everyone who's near birthday it
is.  Mine was way back in january, so I feel a little left out . . . Lets see
. . . SNZ.  Oh yeah, what's the deal with the SBC?  I want to beat some a . .
. nevermind, but I want to know more about what I can do, and how we can save
our squirrel nut zippers.

§ - Drags - §

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 22:15:17 EDT
From: ProfPlum97@aol.com
Subject: Re: homophobia on coolist?

I want to hear about homophobia in a less rhetorical, more gossipy sort of way

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 22:42:46 EDT
From: ElinaMalk@aol.com
Subject: Re:  the-landing-digest V2 #91

ignore madness' newer stuff (i.e. our house).  Grab some old stuff (i.e. "one
step beyond")  Not only are they the "wierd uncles of ska" but their horns
rock.  They're like the SNZ of the late seventies-early eighties indie scene.
- -elina

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 23:12:19 EDT
From: ElinaMalk@aol.com
Subject: RE:QUE PASO

check out cubanisimo, the afro-cuban all-stars or just go to the record store
and find something coclorful.
- -elina

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 23:20:58 EDT
From: ElinaMalk@aol.com
Subject: just somehting that is bugging me

did anyone consider that our dearest Kenny is just screwing wioth us again.
Remember when he lied and made up that whole quote from some mammouth person
and that dj from chicago and then said he was lying a month later.  maybe
he's doin' that again.  but i guess this is too big to be a joke.
- -elina

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 23:35:01 EDT
From: Dragoon716@aol.com
Subject: Re: just somehting that is bugging me

yeah, they never cancelled mad tour dates before right?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 00:42:33 -0400
From: "Matty J."
Subject: I thought about... your mommy...

It was so great to see Kenny and Tom on Letterman. I wasn't too keen on
Tom's new haircut though... I still haven't heard BF5 do "Army" well live
though. I don't know what it is, but everytime I hear it live it sounds
flat.

I personally wouldn't mind a collaborative effort between BF5 and The
Zippers in the future. As I said before, every track on their new album
that has horns in it sounds amazing. Gotta sleep now; it's way past my
bedtime...

Matty J.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 21:46:39 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: BFF & SNZ.

I knew that Tom and Ken were going to be on with BFF, but I didn't
know Je was going to be there (far right, back row)...sporting the
all mighty funk shirt. Does anybody know who that was on
flugelhorn???? (far right, front row.)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 01:39:24 -0400
From: "Matty J."
Subject: Re: BFF & SNZ.

Pretty sure that was John from Fleming and John (the band currently
touring with BF5).

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 23:04:22 -0700
From: "Tyler Adams"
Subject: Letterman

I'm on the west coast, so Letterman hasn't been on yet.  Could somebody
please tell me how far into the show BFF was on?

Thanks,
    Tyler

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #92
********************************

the-landing-digest       Friday, April 30 1999       Volume 02 : Number 093

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  crappity crap                           [Jessica Brandt ]
  More Birthday Fun      [Dishon Gerald Robert ]
  Re: More Birthday Fun                                  [Dragoon716@aol.com]
  DUKE & GLENN.                         ["Ryan Sargent" ]

Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 04:42:23 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt
Subject: crappity crap

Hey, thanks for the birthday wishes, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to all those folks
(Like ariel and dawn) whose birthdays went un-noticed :) Yay for us!

Being that today was my birthday, I of course had a pretty shitty day, and
thus slept through most of it (note that it's 4:30 AM here and I am wide
awake) so i missed the Letterman performance.

Anyone want to send me a tape, huh? huh? I've got shit to trade, yes I do.

Oh, and the flugelhorn player that's always with BFF is the extremely
talented and cute and charming and snappy dresser John Mark Painter (of
Fleming & John). I just got their new album, and he not only produced and
mixed the damn thing, but he also co-wrote all the songs with the equally
cute Fleming, arranged and directed all the strings (as he did on the new
BFF album) and played all of these instruments:
Guitars, Bass, vocals, percussion, clavinet, Theramin, timpani, chimes,
cello, flugelhorn, balalaika, vibes, piano, double bass, Oud, saz, buhl
buhl, harmonium, porta chord, tabla, trombone, lap steel, xylophone,
dilruba, spacephone, boodhran, accordian, dulcimer, khinjira, bongo

Jeez, can you imagine what the music room at his house must look like? "uh,
I know i've got a timpani in here somewhere. ah yes, here it is, under the
tabla and next to the porta chord"

the album's called "The Way We Are" btw...and Courtney doesn't like
Fleming's voice, but I think the album's pretty cool. She does get a little
screechy, but man, are they cute!

again, happy birthday! send me a tape!

Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 12:42:20 -0400
From: Dishon Gerald Robert
Subject: More Birthday Fun

Happy Birthday, Duke Ellington, and all of you other wild and crazy people
out there.

This is what I wrote to SBC:

- ------------

Sirs:

	I am writing to inquire about the current state of your lawsuit
against the Squirrel Nut Zippers, artists for the Mammoth Recording Studios
of Carrboro, N.C.  Many rumors have been circulating in musical circles
about the nature and state of the suit, and would like to have the correct
information so that I may clear up any misconceptions which may have
occurred.  I would appreciate any information which you would be willing to
pass along to me.  Thank you.

- ------------

I sent this out last Thursday, so I hope to hear back by the middle of next
week.  Of course, if they don't reply... hmmm....

Didn't somebody on this list live up Cambridge way?

Gerald (now 19)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 18:21:47 EDT
From: Dragoon716@aol.com
Subject: Re: More Birthday Fun

yeah, I'll be working in cambridge starting monday.  I could drop a letter or
two by the office.  They won't get away with this!  ::shaking fist madly in
the air::

§ - Drags - §

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 17:20:38 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: DUKE & GLENN.

Tonight on AMC after that Cherry poppin' daddies ellington tribute (that
was the last band I would ever pick for the job) the movie about Glenn
Miller is on (Big band/swing trombonist/band leader) at 11:00pm.

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #93
********************************

the-landing-digest        Saturday, May 1 1999        Volume 02 : Number 094

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  Al Hirt dead                                   [jbrandt ]
  Pictures on official website         [kobyc@softhome.net (Peter Destructo)]
  Re: Pictures on official website         [nicole blue ]

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 11:36:15 -0400
From: jbrandt
Subject: Al Hirt dead

Al hirt, one of the greatest New Orleans trumpet players, died Wednesday at
the age of 76.

Check out this article on CNN.com
http://www.cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/Music/9904/28/al.hirt/index.html

you guys are in trouble now. i've found the mecca for online music news. you
won't be able to escape its power! (it's at www.musicnewswire.com for all
interested)

Here's an article on the "swing revival" with our pal Big Rude Jake:
http://www.canoe.ca/JamMusic/apr30_rude.html

Jess

READ THE SHRUBBERY!
http://www.theshrubbery.prohosting.com
*Humor, music, movies, lit, and more!*
      New Every Month. We Promise.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 20:02:27 GMT
From: kobyc@softhome.net (Peter Destructo)
Subject: Pictures on official website

I finally looked in the pictures section at www.snzippers.com, and I'm
pretty sure they were all taken on April 26 or 27 in Hartford, CT. I
was there on the 26th (they were in the same place on the 27th) and
the overhead lighting, stage layout, stage dimensions, and dance floor
are all in the expected places.

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 20:34:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: nicole blue
Subject: Re: Pictures on official website

i saw that show!!!  i have seen the zippers every time they have come
to ct, even during a stupid radio show...

thanks for letting us know.

nicole

- --- Peter Destructo  wrote:
> I finally looked in the pictures section at
> www.snzippers.com, and I'm
> pretty sure they were all taken on April 26 or 27 in
> Hartford, CT. I
> was there on the 26th (they were in the same place
> on the 27th) and
> the overhead lighting, stage layout, stage
> dimensions, and dance floor
> are all in the expected places.
>
> -Peter Destructo
> http://members.xoom.com/pdestructo/sg - The Ghost
> Quasar
> Space Ghost reviewed links, icons, fanfic, pictures
> "Whoa! Hitler's birthday was four-twenty?!"
> -anonymous self-proclaimed
> crack addict in my Chem class, upon hearing the
> reason behind the
> Trenchcoat Mafia's choice of timing

End of the-landing-digest V2 #94