Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 10:51:56 -0700
From: "T"
Subject: TV NOW

I don't know if anybody will get this in time, but the just broke for
"Before they were rock stars" on VH1 with a teaser about a spot on the
Zippers after the break. Go quick! It's 10:51am PST sat.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 11:12:21 -0700
From: "T"
Subject: Too late

Well, it doesn't look like that last post even reached the list before the
spot was over - so much for email being "instantaneous" communication.  It
was about a 3 minute spot that was about what you'd expect from VH1.  They
called the Zippers "soldiers in the swing revolution" and had other
references to "swing."  We got some good footage of Jimbo in some old hom
movies, but they didn't say a thing about his previous musical endeavors.  I
didn't know that Tom was in "Insignificant Others"! What a goof!  I guess we
can be glad he concentrated on his music and not his acting career.  They
also said a little about Je and Stu, whose "before" apparently goes all the
way back to 1994.  They didn't even mention Kat or Ken's names.
Well knowing VH1, you can't count on them airing this episode again...and
again.  Check your listings for the show and if it's on tomorrow or some
time real soon it's probably the same episode.  The SNZ spot is at the very
end.

Out,

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 13:20:01 -0700
From: "T"
Subject: What's going on?!

Ok, I thought this Landing list was supposed to be more stable than the
others (coollist, listbot).
Before this, I have made four posts, and only seen 2 of them.  Is this
happening to other people or is my email setup dropping messages somewhere
aling the line? What is the deal?  It also seems to be taking a long time
for the posts to go through (if they do at all).
I am sending a copy of this to snz@coollist to test the speeds of the two
lists.

If anyone (Jess) has any answers I would really appreciate it.  I'm not mad
at anyone, I'm just frustrated, especially since one of my recent posts was
very time-sensitive, and another took some effort to compose - BTW those are
the two that haven't gone through.  The two that did go through were
addendums to my two real posts.

Hope we can get this figured out.

Tyler

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 15:02:28 PDT
From: Ryan Sargent
Subject: Re: What's going on?!

It's not just you. It takes a while for my posts to go up, and once I posted
something and it went up two weeks later. I am also on another SMZ list, and
it takes about 5 seconds to show up.

I hope they show that before they were stars thing with SNZ again. SNZ would
be the last band I ever thought would be up (I didn't think there could be
hardly anything on them on video).

Has the Licoln Center Jazz Orchestra came to any of your schools? To teach
or to play????

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 02:19:30 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt
Subject: Oh the horror!

Well mr. Thief has taken down the pics, like i said, but is now VERY huffy
about the whole incident. He even made a nice picture of him on the head of
a dog judge and my co-editor's head on a dog and for some reason a picture
of tom. ???

he DID include picture credits on his site now. that'll learn 'em. Zippo,
he took some of yours :) Those, and some from the official site...

I feel sorry for everyone around here that's about his age (14 i
think?)...he's giving y'all a bad name...

Like Dave Foley's ex-butler told Dave upon his firing "You make me ashamed
to be a mammal"

Okay love you
Jess
          *     --+-READ  THE SHRUBBERY-+--        *
                http://www.theshrubbery.com
     --New Every Month- -Humor, Music, News and More--

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 02:32:05 -0400
From: Andy Harman
Subject: Re: stupid site

At 12:12 AM 6/11/99 -0500, you wrote:

>I went to "http://come.to/squirrelnutzippers" and what did i find? PICTURES
>OF SNZ STOLEN FROM THE SHRUBBERY!

I didn't see anything but a bunch of banners and an ad for Exporer and
Netscape. No need to waste any more time looking at that mess trying to
figure out which armpit to click to get into the site.

Andy

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #133
*********************************

the-landing-digest        Monday, June 14 1999        Volume 02 : Number 134

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  all you heretics                        [Jessica Brandt ]
  Re: all you heretics                    [Ryan Sargent ]

Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 17:00:29 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt
Subject: all you heretics

well if instantaneous action is what you all are bitching about, here's
something i got from the tech guy at SMOE.org today:

<>

So all of tyler's testing yesterday was for naught.

I guess everyone hates the landing. No biggie. i'm taking off for the
summer anyway. have your fun.

Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 16:02:05 PDT
From: Ryan Sargent
Subject: Re: all you heretics

>I guess everyone hates the landing. No biggie. i'm taking off for the
>summer anyway. have your fun.

I don't, I think this list is the only good SNZ source.

What did they have on Je and Stu on 'Before they were stars'???? Jess, are
you doing an interview with Tom when his cd comes out?

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #134
*********************************

the-landing-digest       Tuesday, June 15 1999       Volume 02 : Number 135

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  trivia question                                          [ClayWalk@aol.com]
  Re: trivia question                     [Ryan Sargent ]
  Barn Dances.                            [Ryan Sargent ]
  Re: trivia question                 [kobyc@softhome.net (Peter Destructo!)]
  Re: Barn Dances.                        [Andy Harman ]
  Re: Barn Dances.                        [Ryan Sargent ]
  Re: trivia question                              [Matt Akin ]

Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 10:41:41 EDT
From: ClayWalk@aol.com
Subject: trivia question

okay here's a trivia question.  There's no giveaway other than my
appreciation.

What does Snoop Doggy Dogg's "Doggystyle" CD & "Perennial Favorites" have in
common?

clay

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 12:23:15 PDT
From: Ryan Sargent
Subject: Re: trivia question

>What does Snoop Doggy Dogg's "Doggystyle" CD & "Perennial Favorites" >have
>in common?

You had something to do with them....

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 16:23:51 PDT
From: Ryan Sargent
Subject: Barn Dances.

Has anybody ever been to one of Jimbo's barn jam's???? I was talking to
Cecil (sax player for Jazz Squad), and he said as long as you can play a
note you can come up there and jam. He also said that once an 80 year old
man came in one night with nothing but a cornet in his hand, and before they
knew it he was up there screaming out some sharp tunes...and he really had
some chop's. Just the thought of being in a jam session with Jim, Kat and
ton's of other great musician's is pretty tempting.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 01:39:04 GMT
From: kobyc@softhome.net (Peter Destructo!)

On Mon, 14 Jun 1999 10:41:41 EDT, you wrote:
>okay here's a trivia question.  There's no giveaway other than my
>appreciation.
>
>What does Snoop Doggy Dogg's "Doggystyle" CD & "Perennial Favorites" have in
>common?
>
>clay

Revealing the character of the respective stars. "A Day in the Life of
Snoop Doggy Dogg" for the former, the ECD for the latter.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 22:05:22 -0400
From: Andy Harman
Subject: Re: Barn Dances.

At 04:23 PM 6/14/99 PDT, you wrote:
>Has anybody ever been to one of Jimbo's barn jam's???? I was talking to
>Cecil (sax player for Jazz Squad), and he said as long as you can play a
>note you can come up there and jam.

I'd love to give it a try sometime... how does one get "invited"?  Cecil's
sound on tenor is very unique, I'm totally hooked although a long way from
being able to produce a similar sound myself!

Andy

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 20:41:50 PDT
From: Ryan Sargent

>I'd love to give it a try sometime... how does one get "invited"?

Just show up. I don't know where they are though.

>Cecil's sound on tenor is very unique, I'm totally hooked although a >long
>way from being able to produce a similar sound myself!

Well, he has been playing for about 60 years, so that is a main factor. He
also played with the Navy. Chapel Hill has many great musician's (not just
the ones in bands). One of the lead trumpets that used to back Dizzy
Gillespie lives and plays in CH.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 02:13:42 -0700
From: Matt Akin

considering I dont listen to snoop... Im not sure if I would know.. :)

ClayWalk@aol.com wrote:

> okay here's a trivia question.  There's no giveaway other than my
> appreciation.
>
> What does Snoop Doggy Dogg's "Doggystyle" CD & "Perennial Favorites" have in
> common?
>
> clay

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #135
*********************************

the-landing-digest      Wednesday, June 16 1999      Volume 02 : Number 136

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  re: snoop                               [Jessica Brandt ]
  re: barn dances                         [Jessica Brandt ]
  trivia                                                   [ClayWalk@aol.com]
  Video Rentals in Chapell Hill!!!  ["SHAUN SMAKAL" ]
  Re: TV for this week                    [Ryan Sargent ]
  Official page update.                   [Ryan Sargent ]
  PBS jazz.                               [Ryan Sargent ]

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 15:18:58 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt
Subject: re: snoop

I know the connection! Snoop plays uncredited banjo on PF and Ken works the
tables on the snoop album.

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 15:17:59 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt

Andy, these Barn Dances are held in Hillsborough NC (just outside of Chapel
Hill). The last one was May 28th, and the next two are tenatively scheduled
for june 25 and july 16.

They're held at the Daniel Boone Village, supposedly in some big barn on
the property. Last time's lineup was Judy Woodall's Mule Train, Sideways
Alley Jazz Band, and the Harmony Four. Aparently, Jim sat in with all 3 and
Kat with the later two.

The only place i got any good information was from Greg Humphreys of Hobex.
his email is hobex@earthlink.net I didn't know it was a "jam" but it sounds
way cool. I wanted so badly to go to the last one but my plans were
squelched :( Who knows, maybe i'll get around to these others...

If anyone writes to Greg and gets any info on future dances, let us all know!

and about Cecil Johnson, he's a REAL cool guy. He played with the Countdown
Quartet when i saw them in Chapel Hill and he's just an amazing sax player.
He plays sometimes with both the tenor and soprano at the same time. Says
he learned it from Roger, the sax player of the Dirty Dozen. He's super
nice, hope to see him again.

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 15:56:57 EDT
From: ClayWalk@aol.com
Subject: trivia

<< >What does Snoop Doggy Dogg's "Doggystyle" CD & "Perennial Favorites"
>have
>in common?

You had something to do with them.... >>

no, no, no, this is a legitimate Zipper trivia question.

cw

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 15:59:07 +0000
From: "SHAUN SMAKAL"
Subject: Video Rentals in Chapell Hill!!!

	Does anyone live or know someone who lives in the Triangle?  I have
learned from Permanent Records (the best place to get CD's from
Bio Ritmo, Hobex, Flat Duo Jets, et. al.) that the indepedantly made
movie 'Immortal,' which most likely has the Squirrel Nut Zippers
appearing in their first ever movie role as a band, can still be
rented in the area.  If anyone can get a copy and confirm this and
pass along any review or oppinion, it would be greatly appreciated.

the 'Immortal' Guy,
Smakal

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 20:09:50 GMT
From: kobyc@softhome.net (Peter Destructo!)

On Mon, 14 Jun 1999 10:41:41 EDT, you wrote:

>okay here's a trivia question.  There's no giveaway other than my
>appreciation.
>
>What does Snoop Doggy Dogg's "Doggystyle" CD & "Perennial Favorites" have in
>common?
>
>clay

Kat sang the intro to "Lodi Dodi" and Snoop played percussion on the
intro to "It's Over".

[Note: my sister went through a phase a while back.]

What's my MFin' name?
Pe-ter De-structo!
http://members.xoom.com/pdestructo/snz
Squirrel Nut Zippers discography and catalog
http://members.xoom.com/pdestructo/sg
The Ghost Quasar: Space Ghost links, images, fanfic, icons

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 18:47:00 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt
Subject: TV for this week

Sorry i've been so busy, i've fallen behind with this list.

Great Zipperiffic stuff this week, including 2 reruns of SNZ on "before
they were rock stars" and a real cool jazz thing on Bravo. Don't worry if
you miss the Before they were Rock Stars this week, it'll be on a million
more times. i'll keep you updated. (thanks tyler for the reminder!)

all times eastern, ***** is "pick to click" and any questions, check your
listings or www.rockontv.com

TUESDAY JUNE 15
1:30 am on VH1 (History of Rock n Roll) the origins of rock

WEDNESDAY JUNE 16
8 pm on FOX (blockbuster entertainment awds) Harry Connick, guest

THURSDAY JUNE 17
6 am on BRAVO (profiles) Little Jimmy Scott, w/Ray Charles, lionel hampton etc
12:30 pm on VH1 (before they were rock stars) Squirrel Nut Zippers *****
8 pm on BRAVO (listen up, The Lives of Quincy Jones) w/ Dizzy, Ella, Miles
etc.
10:30 on BRAVO (masters of American Jazz) All the american jazz icons you
can shake a stick at *****
11:30 on BRAVO (listen up) quincy jones, see 8 pm
2 am on BRAVO (masters of American Jazz) see above *****

FRIDAY JUNE 18
5 am on BRAVO (profiles) Little Jimmy scott, see above
7:30 am on TVLAND (flip wilson) guest Louis Armstrong *****
3 pm on BRAVO (masters of american jazz) see above *****

SATURDAY JUNE 19
5:30 pm on BRAVO (lives of Quincy Jones) see above
6 pm on VH1 (before they were rock stars) Squirrel Nut Zippers *****
7 pm on VH1 (before they were rock stars) Brian Setzer, Ben Folds

SUNDAY JUNE 20
11 am on BRAVO (listen up, the lives of quincy jones) see above

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 17:14:56 PDT
From: Ryan Sargent
Subject: Re: TV for this week

There is also a profile on the ever talented New Orleans trumpet Wynton
Marsalis. It air's Thursday on Bravo at 10:30pm. Repeat's 6/18 - 3pm and
6/21 - 3pm.

That's another reason why I like this list, Jessica is nice enouph to put up
tv listings. Did everybody know that this is jazz month? That's why they are
showing so many great show's.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 18:40:23 PDT
From: Ryan Sargent
Subject: Official page update.

Ken updated the official page:
June 15 Trivia... Q: What was the Zippers' first cable TV appearance, and
what song did we play there the only time we ever played it? A: The first
cable show was FX network's America's Talking Show, where we played "Meant
to Be" from Inevitable for the only time ever!!

Winner is Dustin V. Dolatowski, from Cleveland, OH!!

6-15-99 We had a great meeting with the Southern Style Nut Company, and
hopefully we are nearer to a solution to the lawsuit problem than ever....
keep your fingers crossed.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 19:01:22 PDT
From: Ryan Sargent
Subject: PBS jazz.

I just wanted to tell everybody to make sure they check there PBS channel's
this month (or every month). Where I live (near washington dc) there are two
jazz profile's on Wednesday night. At 9:00pm is "Thomas Fats Waller: This
Joint Is Jumpin'" an hour celebration of the life and music of jazz pianist
Fats Wa including excerpts from his musicals "Stormy Weather" and "Hooray
For Love".

At 10:00 is "Lionel Hampton: In The Mood" bandleader lionel Hampton performs
jazz standards in a concert hall in Munich, Germany's Philharmonic Concert
Hall with pianist Junior Mance, bassist Jimmy Woody and drummer Bobby
Durham.

End of the-landing-digest V2 #136

No digests June 17-19