Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 10:41:26 EDT
From: PenguinWCU@aol.com
Subject: Re: the-landing-digest V2 #156

Hey! did everyone hear the news? I got an email from Mammoth last night about
Tom and stuff. But they said that the Zippers are ready to start recording a
NEW ALBUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!  they'll start in August and it should be expected for
 Spring. *joy of Joys*

Dan

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 16:09:55 -0400
From: Andy Harman
Subject: Re: articles

At 10:07 PM 7/9/99 -0500, you wrote:

>did you go there? here's that link again:
>http://www.launch.com/Features/fs_Start.asp?contentType=INTV&FeatureMode=Int
>erview&contentId=795

Yes, after knocking down 18 cookies I still don't see anything relevant to
SNZ... I hate these "membership" sites... sorry I guess this is one I won't
see, if it means handing over my birthright and clandestine access to my
hard drive.

Andy

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 17:10:57 -0700
From: "rev. bob pigeon"
Subject: Re: "It's alright... just got back from the doctor."

>Squirrel Nut Zippers always reminds me of something my father once told me.
>Dad used to say that 'Squirrel Nut Zippers is sort of like the radio.
>Sometimes it's AM and sometimes it's FM.'    -Craig Kilborn.

i don't get it...

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Jul 99 16:45:5 -0800 (PST)
From: Shaun Smakal
Subject: ICQ???

anyone here have ICQ?  I just got it so if yer interested tell me and we'll exchange numbers or somethin.

rockin with my BAD self!
Shaun

==
Impetus  (im'-pa-tas) [L. attack] n. the force with which a body moves; momentum; boost.

"The secret the government never wanted you to know.. SPAM IS PEOPLE!!!!" - Jay Leno

the-landing-digest        Monday, July 12 1999        Volume 02 : Number 158

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  re: icq, new album                      [Jessica Brandt ]
  the interview, for Andy's sake          [Jessica Brandt ]
  Tom Maxwell Memorials                   [Jessica Brandt ]
  When worlds collide...  [kobyc@softhome.net (Star-Beast Task Force Milky W]
  Re: Tom Maxwell Memorials  [kobyc@softhome.net (Star-Beast Task Force Milk]
  re: icq, new album                    ["Ryan Sargent" ]
  AOLIM, Copyright infringment         [Gerald Dishon ]
  Re: AOLIM, Copyright infringment  [kobyc@softhome.net (Star-Beast Task For]
  Re: the-landing-digest V2 #157                           [SNZfreak@aol.com]
  Re: the-landing-digest V2 #157     [Shaun Smakal ]
  Re: the-landing-digest V2 #157     [Shaun Smakal ]
  Here's an Independant film for ya!  [Shaun Smakal ]

Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 04:27:29 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt
Subject: re: icq, new album

My icq # is 41982463 and my AIM name is ZipperJJ

but no one really talks to me...'cept Dave. Hi Dave! :)

uhmmm...

I talked to Ken yesterday and he was sort of upset about reading all the
press about Tom leaving and seeing that a lot of it mentioned new members
and a new album, because apparently he didn't get that half of the press
release. You'll notice on the PR that he posted on www.snzippers.com
doesn't mention new members or a new band.

But i don't know the extent of his worries. The PR was written by Jimbo i
guess and i HOPE that a) there is a new album and b) there are no new
members, except maybe an okay "replacement" for Tom.

Ryan, where did you get that Craig Kilborn quote? did he say it on his
show? if so, when?

Jess
          *     --+-READ  THE SHRUBBERY-+--        *
                http://www.theshrubbery.com
     --New Every Month- -Humor, Music, News and More--

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 04:34:24 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt
Subject: the interview, for Andy's sake

Since i want everyone to read this, and i luv AndyMan, here is the
interview. Sorry for the length, but it's so SNZ related it hurts.

The link, one more time, is:
http://www.launch.com/Features/fs_Start.asp?contentType=INTV&FeatureMode=Int
erview&contentId=795

(Launch.com, written by Dave Dimartino)

A word to the wise: If you're ever so lucky to hang out with members of the
Squirrel Nut Zippers, don't call them the "architects of the neo-swing
movement." When LAUNCH executive editor Dave DiMartino cited a recent
review of the band in which they were so described, the group's Tom Maxwell
exclaimed, "It's useless, sad, pathetic, and totally transient [to refer to
this as a movement]." DiMartino urged Maxwell to elaborate. "Music is a
living entity independent of any trend or culture," Maxwell said of his
distinctly Southern band. "We just use whatever means necessary to convey
our message and get the vibe out there." This energetic seven-piece outfit
has been getting its message out lately via the album Perennial Favorites,
which showcases everything from country, blues, and bluegrass to rock 'n'
roll, jazz, and the fatback Memphis sound. DiMartino hung out with Maxwell
and the Zippers' Jim Mathus prior to an L.A. gig at the El Rey Theater.
Here's how the conversation went...

LAUNCH:
Talk to me about this so-called "neo-swing" movement. You've been called
the "architects" of this new trend. Is it legitimate?

TOM:
I'll tell you what's happening. We live in a trend- and fad-oriented
culture and have been for generations, and that is what drives radio and
records and most media. It's like, "Here's your box, here's your
pigeonhole. Now stay in there." It was so great when our single "Hell"
broke because nobody knew what to call it, what to do with it. That was
really beautiful. It was like a "through the looking glass" moment. But to
me, the neo-swing thing is a joke. I don't want to be associated with the
iconography of martinis and cigars. That has nothing to do with music. I
don't want to sell khakis. As a band we're tying to make music that is
timeless. And if you align yourself with a trend, you're screwed, you're
obsolete. People will say, "Oh, that's so 1997." Why on Earth would we want
to do that? We're just appropriating whatever musical gestures we feel are
most appropriate and sound best to us.

JIM:
I don't consider us a part of any revival. When we started, we were just
getting our sound together in our own little way, and that was about four
or five years ago. We were just traveling and making our first sounds as a
band. There was no swing scene in North Carolina of any kind, but I see it
on the West Coast. I've seen swing nights advertised in the paper. That's
when I first realized how popular it was in nightclubs. I think swing is
part of our sound but it's not what we are. I think a lot of swing dancers
would tell you that, too. A lot of our music is too fast and too weird to
do the swing dancing to, I think.

LAUNCH:
But your sound is so distinctive. How conscious are you of trying to make
music that sounds like it's of a certain era?

JIM:
Am I trying to make music that sounds old? Is that what you're asking? It's
just what I listen to, ever since 1985. I started out with the blues,
country, bluegrass. That's what I grew up on. My family are musicians, but
the jazz element didn't enter into it until I met Katharine [Whalen, the
Zippers' singer and Jim's wife], because that was our common ground. I
started learning some jazz changes and putting jazz music together. I just
listen to old music, so that's what I write.

LAUNCH:
The notion of authenticity and the kind of music you make...do you think in
terms of making sure your music remains true to its roots?

TOM:
Authenticity doesn't bother me a bit. To me, authenticity means emotional
honesty. And whatever means by which you attain that are fine. I understand
as a musician that music is a living entity independent of any trend or
culture. There are different ways to get at it through trend and culture
and musical gestures, but it exists independently of that. So any recording
made at any time, if it was done with heartfelt emotion, does not sound
dated no matter how primitively it may have been recorded. The upside of
the pastiche sort of culture we live in now is the fact that we're not
relegated to our one little window of time. We don't believe in the ladder
of progress where you can never go back. That's all hooey. We just use
whatever means necessary to convey the message and get the vibe out there,
and thus, I think, we are authentic.

LAUNCH:
Well, it's safe to say that the music you make is definitely unique. How
would you describe the sound of the Squirrel Nut Zippers?

JIM:
I read an article recently that described us as a musical gumbo. I kind of
like that. You just throw a bunch of stuff in a pot and cook it long
enough. It's not the most elegant thing in the world to serve, but you will
be satisfied...

TOM:
The best definition of SNZ is probably "'30s punk." That was one I heard
that I thought was pretty cool. The rest are inadequate. I can't come up
with a description either. If you try to come up with one word, you'll
fail. But '30s punk? Hey, you've got something!

LAUNCH:
Can you cite any key factors that you think contributed to your recent
success?

JIM:
I think our energy has a lot to do with it. The song "Hell" had a lot to do
with it because it was real catchy. And I think when people see us and hear
our records, we have a diverse sound. Plus we have Katharine, who's a great
singer. And I think timing had a lot to do with it. I'm probably the most
clueless when it comes to why we are popular.

TOM:
There are two definitions of success we can look at. One is units sold and
degree of fame, and the key to that was "Hell" as a single. "Hell" hit on
radio and we sold records and achieved unparalleled levels of exposure. But
our success in my mind has to do with improving our craft. The key to that
success is our willingness to give ourselves over to this thing as players,
songwriters. To commit ourselves to constantly improve our craft whether
it's songwriting, singing, playing our instruments, or making better
records. To that end, we were successful before we became "successful."

LAUNCH:
Any criticism you've come across that really rubs you the wrong way?

JIM:
We've gotten some bad reviews and stuff like that. But I didn't set out to
please any writers, so it really doesn't bother me. I don't like when they
write something bad about my wife, but otherwise, I'm just, "Ah, whatever..."

TOM:
All criticism rubs me the wrong way! I make the mistake of reading our own
press, and a lot of the times it's wrong. If it's really, really positive,
it's usually wrong. And if it's really, really negative, it's usually
wrong. They don't get it, or I don't understand exactly where they're
coming from. The thing that rankles me is when people say we can't play our
instruments. Which is nutty to me. Of course we can't play like Louis
Armstrong, Fats Waller. This is a given. We are not masters of our
instruments the way those guys were. But I think man for man, in terms of
the complexity of what we do and our ability to drop and improvise at any
given point, I think we're better than the majority of rock 'n' roll bands
out there. So we're raising the bar, but we're getting cut down for it at
the same time. So be it though. That's how God wills it. If we played
really well, we'd get knocked for being too smooth. So...who gives a sh-t?

LAUNCH:
How much of the music that you guys play is truly heartfelt, how much is
showbiz?

TOM:
Well, you know, it's entertainment, and we're entertainers, right? So
there's a marriage one has to create between craft and emotion. We put a
great deal of store by heartfelt, visceral, emotive impact. But, in order
to achieve that you have to learn a few things about how to write a song,
how to use your voice to sing, how to use your body onstage, so I think the
cop-out answer is that it's simultaneous artifice and complete, heartfelt
sincerity. Ha ha! I haven't figured it out yet, you know?

LAUNCH:
Did your previous bands sound like Squirrel Nut Zippers?

TOM:
I was a rock 'n' roll drummer for eight years. But I got turned onto Harlem
hot music 10 years ago. I would listen to my Fats Waller records, my Cab
Calloway records. The songs I first was writing were Squirrel Nut Zippers
songs, but there was no Squirrel Nut Zippers. So I'd bring them to my rock
'n' roll band, and they were like, "These are great songs, and we'll play
them, but you should write some rock 'n' roll songs."

JIM:
I grew up playing country and bluegrass. We had a family band, and when I
turned 14, I got an electric guitar and an amp. I've been in two or three
dozen bands. And there was none you would have heard of. They were all in
Mississippi and there were no record labels or business going on. I was
writing my own music: a mixture of blues, country, and rock. I was really
into Neil Young when I was a teenager. At the same time, I was playing
Elmore James. It's always been a real mixture with me.

LAUNCH:
You've released a few albums now. Have you noticed a certain area where the
band really has displayed marked improvement since the beginning?

JIM:
Since we first started, hopefully we've gotten better at playing and
singing. A lot of times, we just pick instruments up. If we want an
instrument in the band, we just buy the instrument and somebody volunteers
to play it. So they have to teach themselves to play it. We're basically
rank amateurs with a lot of feeling for what we do. We've listened to a lot
of this music. Hopefully our learning curve will catch up with our
aspirations someday and we'll make a truly great record.

TOM:
I think there's been growth on all levels, and, as songwriters, we've grown
quite a bit. We've learned to tailor our songs to the strengths of this
band. I've learned to edit myself; I don't hold onto every song and refuse
to change it. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to make it a better song.
As singers and performers we've improved measurably. Noticeably. On the
first record I didn't play sax at all. On the second record I played
baritone. Now it's tenor and clarinet. Jimbo taught himself to play the
trombone. Katharine's voice has improved a lot, as have all of ours. But
also, on the production front, we learned how to record, we learned what
sounds we wanted and how to get them. It took three records to figure that
out, and I don't think that process is finished. The beauty of this band is
that we're sitting at the feet of the Buddha. You don't attain Nirvana by
doing that, but I feel like I could live my whole life learning to attain
more subtlety and grace. Whereas with rock 'n' roll, I was too old at 27!

LAUNCH:
You've played with the Dirty Dozen Brass Band and I understand you guys jam
together onstage in these spontaneous sessions. Is it scary to jump up
onstage and play an instrument for the first time?

JIM:
You've just gotta face the music, man. Any band we tour with we wind up
jamming with. There's numbers that we can play that just about any jazz
musician or horn player can sit in with us on. You can't shy away from
getting schooled on your instrument. We're unapologetic about what we do,
basically, and we're trying to learn just like everyone else. The Dirty
Dozen has been playing for 20 years. We're not really intimidated by that.
It's like being ugly or skinny, you know? There's nothing I can do about
that. We can mix with just about anything.

LAUNCH:
Tell me about the holiday record, Christmas Caravan, that you released last
year.

TOM:
We did a Christmas record, and instead of doing covers, which seemed like
all we had time for, we wrote all original material for it, which was cool
for us. Perennial Favorites was completed in January of 1997, and it wasn't
issued until June 1998. There was a lot of static. Our Christmas music is
totally identifiably a SNZ product. There's humor and menace all over the
place. We do a version of a song that our drummer's [Chris Phillips]
grandfather wrote, "I'm Hanging Up My Stockings." It was never published,
but it was a beautiful song. I think it's our best record. The production
is better and more consistent than any other record. The performances show
how far we've come in the intervening year-and-a-half since Perennial
Favorites' completion. The songwriting shows how we've continued to
diversify. I'm pleased.

LAUNCH:
Are there any precursors in pop music that you admire who may have pushed
you toward this style?

TOM:
I've always really liked the Cheap Suit Serenaders, this band of lunatics
from the Bay Area of San Francisco. The cartoonist R. Crumb was in the
band. They were putting out records in the late '60s, early '70s. They had
a singing saw. Totally uncool. As uncool as you could get 30 years ago.
They made some great records, and did covers and wrote songs. One of the
greatest Hawaiian guitar players was in that band. I'm also a huge fan of
Ronnie Lane, the bass player for the Small Faces, and then the Faces with
Rod Stewart. Then Ronnie formed his own band, Slim Chance, which was aptly
named as it went nowhere. He had the whole idea of traveling around with a
caravan of performers--fire-eaters, etc. They would travel around and set
up in the town commons and play. It was a total disaster. But he made some
of the finest music. He basically invented English folk-rock with sax,
piano, clarinet, acoustic guitars. It was a great band. Finally, after his
death, that stuff is starting to be reissued and I think people should get
it. I used to go out every April Fool's day and have a drink on Ronnie. It
was his birthday. I always wanted to meet him and never had the chance.

JIM:
I really admire Bob Dylan. His new record is the first new release I've
bought in about 15 years. I think he's great. And there's a lot of modern
bands--contemporaries of ours--that are doing great things: the North
Mississippi All-Stars, Ray Condo & the Ricochets from Canada, and the Cigar
Store Indians from Georgia are melding different sounds together, from
older sounds to new approaches. I think Bob Dylan really absorbed a lot of
that blues and country music and everything-I think he's been a great
artist his whole career. He's one of the few people I can think of. Bill
Monroe...

LAUNCH:
Live performance vs. the studio experience--tell me the difference.

TOM:
It is a different experience hearing us live, although a lot of the records
are basically live. On the record, you can use any instrument that you can
play: 70-year-old archtop guitars, bass clarinets, baritone ukuleles,
whatever's at your disposal. This is impossible on the road. You're
relegated basically to amplified guitar and saxophones that can take a
pounding. But when you're recording there's no audience to feed off and you
don't get that positive loop of energy. We take a lot more chances live and
sometimes we fall on our face, but sometimes we can break away and turn in
some amazing performances. There's this third entity that is
crowd-and-band. It's an un-nameable thing. I don't talk about it too much,
because it sounds stupid, but you can experience it--and I have many times.

LAUNCH:
How great an impact does your location, your upbringing, have on the music
of Squirrel Nut Zippers?

TOM:
We are straight-up Southerners, and that informs our music. I've never been
anything else, so I don't know really. This music originated in the South.
A lot of great and beautiful things happened to it up in Chicago and New
York, but there's a Southern-ness to it that I totally latch onto. There
are certain phrases, musical phrases as well as lyrical phrases: how one
thinks of oneself in one's environment or addresses other people, the type
of issues one might be concerned with are distinctly Southern in many ways.
We use "head arrangements." In other words, we never write anything down. I
think that's Southern thing to do. The guys at Stax Volt never wrote
anything down, whereas everything at Motown was highly structured. And I
tend to gravitate more toward that fatback Memphis soul music, you know?

LAUNCH:
How has being successful changed your life?

JIM:
I travel a lot more--that's about it. I got a '70 Monte Carlo that I just
bought. Some $2 shoes.

TOM:
My barber started treating me different, man. I used to be the fly on the
wall and hear those guys swap stories about the UNC basketball team. Now
it's like I'm the UNC basketball team. Bells and trumpets, you know? It's
cool if he derives some pleasure out of that, but after a while it makes
you feel a little weird. Everybody treats you differently, and you cannot
be prepared for success at all.

LAUNCH:
If your band could be any size, what would you prefer?

JIM:
Number of personnel? It depends on the music. I'd like to have about 15
different bands. A trio, a gospel quartet, a jazz big band. And I do have a
lot of different groups I play in in Chapel Hill and in Mississippi.
They're mostly blues- and country-based. The SNZ is a combination of
everyone--the seven of us--bringing their influence in. That's what makes
the sound. There isn't one "god" of the band directing. We got together and
the sound we came up with is the sound that we're good at.

TOM:
Yeah, I think we're ideal right now. There's enough people in the
band--enough instrumentalists to keep it interesting, enough singers to
share the load. We've done impromptu jam sessions with other bands, having
15 people onstage doing improvised, unrehearsed versions of songs. That can
be incredible, but it can also be a little onerous. I've always been a fan
of small band "hot" music or small band swing. Because, like in Dixieland,
every individual member has their own superhero and their own instrument or
voice, and when you get into big bands where you have six saxophones and
four trumpets, guys have got to be playing parts or else they'll step over
each other. It's impossible to all be free and express themselves in that
Dixieland sort of way...So you have to read your part, toe the line, I've
never been one for that. Really not much at all.

LAUNCH:
If you could play any other kind of music, or join any other band, what
would it be?

TOM:
I don't think I can answer that. I sit in with some rock 'n' roll bands. I
still play drums occasionally and sit in with some of my friends. I
wouldn't mind getting into a band that sounds like Howlin' Wolf's old band
from Memphis. They were rocking. But then again, there's only one Howlin'
Wolf, so you wouldn't have a chance of doing that anyway. I'm not much of a
blues player, though. His guitar player Willie Cotton--that guy was on
fire. I've never heard sounds like that. He was getting feedback in 1952.
That sh-t was for real. I don't know, maybe Johnny Ace's band.

LAUNCH:
Who's in your audience? What do you know about your fans?

JIM:
I think they're there to have a good time and they're there to smile and to
enjoy themselves. That's the mood we try to create. There's nothing too
serious at the concerts. Our music is lightening people's lives, you know?
So they're generally very friendly, and when I meet them, I generally like
them. I wouldn't want them all over to my house...but they seem to be nice.
It's multi-ethnic and a wide variety of ages.

TOM:
I think our audience at our shows changes as a result of the venues we play
and the hours that we play. Of course, with the times we live in, we're
largely relegated to rock 'n' roll venues. And if it's a bar, the teenagers
can't get in, and it's too late for the old folks. If we play an earlier,
all-ages show, we get a profound diversity. People who are 30 and 40 are
screwed. They don't have a product; the industry doesn't pay attention to
them. So all of them come out. That happened relatively quickly for us, and
that really blew our minds. We didn't have a target audience in mind. It
shocked us to see skinheads, little 12-year-olds come out. They don't like
anything, you know? They've been programmed to hate what their parents
like. Here's a great story: I was signing autographs on the H.O.R.D.E.
tour, and this old woman came up, she was easily 70, and she said, "I love
your music, will you sign my CD?" So I sign it and tell her thank you and
she goes, "And my mother likes it too!" and she points to this ancient
woman, who's back there waving: "Oh I love it!" That was one of the
funniest and most awesome experiences of my life.

Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 05:39:08 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt
Subject: Tom Maxwell Memorials

Oy...this is what Jessica does at 5 Am to amuse herself. have fun!

Okay now i thought this was weird:

http://www.cavannet.ie/culture/music/tommax.htm

And then i thought this was creepy:

http://www.eveninghatch.com/index.html

And i thought this was contradictory (note last 2 paragraphs):

http://www.theredjacket.com/press5.html

I think this is really funny and insightful:

http://www.plan9music.com/1998/09/zippers.html

I found this sort of amusing. (guy w/hat is named Tom Maxwell):

http://music.acmecity.com/band/138/images/have_mercy.jpg

This is what Tom would be like if he were a doctor (especially read the
first Thomas Maxwell post, about Perrennial Philosophy, and substitute PF
for PP. Makes for fun reading):

http://csf.colorado.edu/mail/ecol-econ/maxwell-vs-mcgowen/index.html

Fun fact (click ctrl+f and search for "maxwell"):

http://wunc.citysearch.com/meet_the_voices_you_hear.html

Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 13:14:23 GMT
From: kobyc@softhome.net (Star-Beast Task Force Milky Way-Man)
Subject: When worlds collide...

I know a lot of you on here are BF5 fans, so this could be interesting
- -- might want to forward it to your BF groups. This snippet was taken
from a panel at Atlanta Dragon*Con with a few guys who write and/or
voice characters on "Space Ghost Coast to Coast".

>Pete: We have a whole, a huge stack of interviews that we haven't used, and
>never will. It's hard to get ...
>
>Fan: Such as?
>
>Andy: Ben Folds.

Too bad, eh?

- -Peter Destructo

"Well, we have a saying that goes if we can't be funny, then let's
just be weird. Whenever we get stuck we've always fallen back on that
and it's always worked."  - Space Ghost Coast to Coast executive
producer Keith Crofford

"....Speaking of tights, Ricky Martin's pants will be auctioned off to
the highest bidder on June 12. Other ex-Menudo members, meanwhile,
will look at their own pants, hanging neatly in their closets, and
decide they never liked Ricky." - Vector Black, Ghost Planet News,
http://www.ghostplanet.com

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 13:40:19 GMT
From: kobyc@softhome.net (Star-Beast Task Force Milky Way-Man)
Subject: Re: Tom Maxwell Memorials

On Sun, 11 Jul 1999 05:39:08 -0500, you wrote:

>Oy...this is what Jessica does at 5 Am to amuse herself. have fun!

Jessica -- idea. Would you mind making a SNZ "announce" list? All you
would have to do is cut & paste all this garbage, with maybe URLs to
pictures. This would help those of us with really sloooowww
connections. And make it easier -- everything downloads when you click
"get mail". And text only, with no ads or cookies.

Waddya think?

Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 08:33:30 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"

>Ryan, where did you get that Craig Kilborn quote?

I went to the Late Late Show with Craig Kilborn home page

http://db.cbs.com/prd1/now/now1_frameset?P_URL_BOT=http%3A%2F%2Fmarketing%2Ecbs%2Ecom%2Fmini%2Flatelate%2F

and typed in Squirrel Nut Zippers in the search. All it does is bring back a
funny little quote from Craig with the thing you typed in in put in various
times. If you keep typing in the same things a quote that makes sense is
bound to show up. Craig also mentioned this:

"Whenever Tom Maxwell comes up, I think of women! Women are like snowflakes.
They are all different and unique, but they are all cold. And when you are
lucky enough to catch one and show it some warmth it melts, but before you
know what to do she disappears... FOREVER! Wow, sorry about that."  -Craig
Kilborn.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 13:03:44 -0500
From: Gerald Dishon
Subject: AOLIM, Copyright infringment

My AOLIM name is GDishon (2 points to the first person who can figure
out why, haha).

And to whoever it was that suggested that Jessica copy all related
articles and post them here (I foget who it was; my computer crashed and
I lost that message):

1.  That makes for REALLY BIG messages that take forever to get, and
2.  The sources of this information usually copyright it, so somebody
would have to get permission to do that (to be legal; of course, if you
want to be E-vil like a certain Dr. I could think of... but we'd need a
scheme to take over the world first...).

Gerald

- --Now we enter the second phase of our plan, or is it the third phase?
I don't know, I don't do phases.--

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 23:30:02 GMT
From: kobyc@softhome.net (Star-Beast Task Force Milky Way-Man)
Subject: Re: AOLIM, Copyright infringment

On Sun, 11 Jul 1999 13:03:44 -0500, you wrote:

>And to whoever it was that suggested that Jessica copy all related
>articles and post them here (I foget who it was; my computer crashed and
>I lost that message):
>
>1.  That makes for REALLY BIG messages that take forever to get, and

That's why I suggested to make a SEPARATE, announce-only type list.

>2.  The sources of this information usually copyright it, so somebody
>would have to get permission to do that (to be legal; of course, if you
>want to be E-vil like a certain Dr. I could think of... but we'd need a
>scheme to take over the world first...).

Eh... screw it. It's not like you're publishing it. Just posting it to
a mailing list. Legal enough for me.

- -PD

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 22:09:46 EDT
From: SNZfreak@aol.com
Subject: Re: the-landing-digest V2 #157

How exactly does one go about getting ICQ?

~~G DoGg~~

P.S.

I have to talk about the Zippers every time I send mail...I just got two new
SNZ shirts. If you can't tell, I am doing flips as we speak. And if you know
me you would probably drop dead from me doing flips. C-ya!

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jul 99 19:12:47 -0800 (PST)
From: Shaun Smakal

head over to www.mirabilis.com
you can download it from here.  I'm new at this but theres a lot of info about it at the web site.

rockin with my bad self's ICQ number:  43363915
shaun

==
Impetus  (im'-pa-tas) [L. attack] n. the force with which a body moves; momentum; boost.

"The secret the government never wanted you to know.. SPAM IS PEOPLE!!!!" - Jay Leno

Subject: 120 minutes.

I didn't get to see all of that 120 minutes show people were talking about,
did they ever show "Stephen Foster"? I had to keep switching the channel
because they played a lot of really bad music. I think that besides a bands
we are in a dark age of music. I just hope that someday more people will try
stepping out of trends insted of jumping in them. And stop letting the
studio's amd computers do all the work.

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #158
*********************************

the-landing-digest       Tuesday, July 13 1999       Volume 02 : Number 159

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  Trou Macacq                                        [graf ]
  icq #s, bounces                         [Jessica Brandt ]
  Interview with Ken.                   ["Ryan Sargent" ]
  TV this week                            [Jessica Brandt ]

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 12:39:52 +0400
From: graf
Subject: Trou Macacq

Pardon me but as English is not my native language I still have some
problems with understanging songs. What or who is Trou Macacq?

Gregory Durnovo

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 14:47:10 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt
Subject: icq #s, bounces

these are two emails that bounced. One is from Richy who keeps posting from
the wrong address, the other from Dave who used the word "autho*ize" and i
think the majordomo program got confused! how'd ya like that??

Sorry richy and dave.

- ---------------------
my number would be 9118264

richy

- ---------------------

From: "Dave Doll"
To: the-landing@smoe.org
Subject: Re: ICQ
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 08:09:05 PDT

Well now that Jess has blown my cover, I guess I have to admit that I'm on
ICQ.(just kidding) Hi Jess!
My ICQ number is 41248690. I'll have to autho*ize you if you want to add me
to your contact list, but just say that you're on this list and I'll get
back to you.

Peace, Dave
- ----------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 12:16:29 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: Interview with Ken.

There is a brand new interview with Ken for Miriam's site:

http://www.cifnet.com/~sirius/snz/snz_band/km.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 17:49:34 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt
Subject: TV this week

Once again, sorry i'm late with this! I hope everyone can catch Letterman
tonight if they haven't already seen it!

Lots of good things to see this week!!

"*****" is pick to click, all times eastern, check out www.rockontv.com for
updates and questions.

MONDAY JULY 12
7 pm on VH1 (hard rock live) Brian Setzer Orch. & BBVD *****
10 pm on MUCH USA (break this) Athenaeum (Chapel hill band, good friends
w/Chris)
11:35 on CBS (letterman) Ben Folds Five w/ SNZipper Horns!!*****
1:30 am on MUCH USA (break this) Athenaeum

TUESDAY JULY 13
9:30 am on MUCH USA (break this) Athenaeum

WEDNESDAY JULY 14
7 am on CBS (This Morning) Perf. by James Brown)
1:30 pm on VH1 (before they were rock stars) SNZ*****
8 pm on TNN (celebration of country) Interesting show, w/ Brian Setzer Orch.
and much more

THURSDAY JULY 15
3 pm on BRAVO (profiles) Charlie Parker *****
1:30 am on VH1 (hard rock live) Brian Setzer Orch & BBVD *****

FRIDAY JULY 16
nothing Zipperiffic.

SATURDAY JULY 17
10:30 am on VH1 (before they were rock stars) Ben Folds, Brian Setzer
12 pm on VH1 (before thy were rock stars) Squirrel Nut ZIppers *****
9 pm on A&E (live by request) Earth, Wind & Fire
11 pm on PBS (check listings!) (sessions @ W. 54th) Afro-Cuban Allstars
1 am on A&E (live by request) Earth, Wind and Fire

SUNDAY JULY 18
nothing Zipperiffic
          *     --+-READ  THE SHRUBBERY-+--        *
                http://www.theshrubbery.com
     --New Every Month- -Humor, Music, News and More--

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #159
*********************************

the-landing-digest      Wednesday, July 14 1999      Volume 02 : Number 160

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  More TV.                              ["Ryan Sargent" ]
  Re: More TV.                          ["Ryan Sargent" ]

Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 12:59:06 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: More TV.

Here are some more things worth watching: (both on BET jazz)

Thursday July, 15.
- ------------------
- -Chet Baker: Last Date.

9:00 AM
3:00 PM
9:00 PM
3:00 AM

- -Maynard Ferguson

Noon
6:00 PM
Midnight

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 15:26:51 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: Re: More TV.

Friday 16th.
- ------------
PBS - Benny Goodman's Greatest Hit's (check local listings)

Tribute to band leader/clarinetist Benny Goodman with guest Lionel Hamptom
plus many more.

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #160
*********************************

the-landing-digest       Thursday, July 15 1999       Volume 02 : Number 161

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  Hello?                                  [Dawn Carr ]
  Re: Hello?                         [Shaun Smakal ]
  BOF                                                     [LitLpish9@aol.com]

Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 17:18:29 -0400
From: Dawn Carr
Subject: Hello?

Que happnen?
=dc=

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Jul 99 17:28:58 -0800 (PST)
From: Shaun Smakal
Subject: Re: Hello?

CALM BEFORE THE STORM?!?!?!

==
Impetus  (im'-pa-tas) [L. attack] n. the force with which a body moves; momentum; boost.

"The secret the government never wanted you to know.. SPAM IS PEOPLE!!!!" - Jay Leno

]
  Ghost of Stephen Foster                                  [SNZfreak@aol.com]
  Petition.                                                [SNZfreak@aol.com]
  Re: ICQ                               ["Ryan Sargent" ]
  Morgan, Man of the Sea; Pelais; and Augustine  [kobyc@softhome.net (Star-B]

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 05:17:13 PDT
From: "Dave Doll"

Yeah, I know this isn't SNZ related, sorry Jess, but we had posts about ICQ
before. It's also been pretty slow around here lately.
Has anyone else been having problems with ICQ? I don't think mine is working
properly.
If you're on ICQ, look for me. I'm # 41248690.

Our local county park department has a summer concert series.
Last month I saw Indigo Swing and The Mighty Blue Kings.
Has anyone heard of A.J. Croce? All I know is he's Jim Croce's son, and he's
a blues pianist. I'll be seeing him Saturday opening for legendary bluesman
James Cotton.

Peace,
Dave

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 11:31:18 EDT
From: SNZfreak@aol.com
Subject: Ghost of Stephen Foster

People People. I have started a petition to send to MTV, VH1, etc. to get the
Zippers some much deserved airtime. I am sending it out next, so please. If
you are a fan...do what is says!! I mean, we all know how amazing they are,
lets "share the wealth!!"

~~G DoGg~~
George M.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 11:32:15 EDT
From: SNZfreak@aol.com
Subject: Petition.

Hello!

This is a petition to get the Squirrel Nut Zippers' "Ghost Of Stephen
Foster" video its much deserved air time (on MTV, VH-1, etc...)  We need
your help to make this possible.  If you do not want to participate, we
simply ask that you forward this message to SNZfreak@aol.com

All you need to do is forward this e-mail message to your friends and
relatives who share our common interest in the Squirrel Nut Zippers.  But,
before forwarding the e-mail message, make sure to add your e-mail address
to the list below.  If you are the 10th person on the list, please forward
the message to SNZfreak@aol.com

NOTE:
Of course, this will only work if the "friens and/or relatives" who
receive this e-mail message actually *know* who the Squirrel Nut Zippers
are.  So, it is very important to know/find out if the people you will be
forwarding this e-mail to actually know Squirrel Nut Zippers music.  We
don't want this message to be viewed as SPAM.

### ADD YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS HERE ###
1.
2.
3.
.
.
.

WE ARE NOT IN THE BUSINESS OF GIVING OUT OR SELLING PEOPLE'S E-MAIL
ADDRESSES.  WE JUST WANT TO GET THE WORD OUT ABOUT THE SQUIRREL NUT ZIPPERS'
"GHOST OF STEPHEN FOSTER" VIDEO.  THANK YOU!!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 11:14:55 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"

>Has anyone heard of A.J. Croce?

Yeah! I saw him at Blues Alley in Washington DC. He's really good, trust me
you will love the show.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 02:05:03 GMT
From: kobyc@softhome.net (Star-Beast Task Force Milky Way-Man)
Subject: Morgan, Man of the Sea; Pelais; and Augustine

Does anyone know who Morgan, Man of the Sea, Pelais, and Augustine
are? (They are mentioned in "heretic blues")

thanks,
you know who

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #162
*********************************

the-landing-digest       Saturday, July 17 1999       Volume 02 : Number 163

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  Re: Morgan, etc                         [Jessica Brandt ]
  Re: the-landing-digest V2 #162           ["Chris Etzel" ]
  Re: the-landing-digest V2 #162                          [Sambone67@aol.com]
  Re: the-landing-digest V2 #162     [Shaun Smakal ]
  Re: the-landing-digest V2 #162        ["Ryan Sargent" ]
  BOF live archive!!                      [Jessica Brandt ]

Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:10:59 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt
Subject: Re: Morgan, etc

Koby Asked:

>Does anyone know who Morgan, Man of the Sea, Pelais, and Augustine
>are? (They are mentioned in "heretic blues")

Okay i think Morgan is "Captain Morgan" of Captain Morgan brand rum. Man of
the Sea i think is captain morgan...Pelais i have no idea, but Augustine is
St. Augustine who was a very pius man but you'll have to ask a catholic
about who he really was. Lutherans didn't have to learn the saints ;)

Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 10:39:22 +0000
From: "Chris Etzel"
Subject: Re: the-landing-digest V2 #162

<>

Wow, couple a great bands there. Where they a double bill, or was this on
seperate nights? Off topic, I know, but it'd be great if you could give us
your impressions...

- --
Chris Etzel
Etzel's Speed Classics
Big Car Graphics
http://home1.gte.net/web103xk/index.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 18:14:50 EDT
From: Sambone67@aol.com

yes I do and it pelagius

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Jul 99 18:39:17 -0800 (PST)
From: Shaun Smakal

The Mighty Blue Kings are a class act.  I help to promote their tours whenever they come through Michigan.  Great sound, great guys though i've never seen them live (thats another story).  If they come through your area I suggest you see them.  They are ecletic like SNZ but fit more into the Chicago Blues type music.  Fun people and they have a great bunch of managers.

To learn more about MBK, visit www.mightybluekings.com

member of the MBK Army,
Shaun

I think the Zippers should use the grassroots method of advertising like MBK.  This really gets the word out and involves the fans.

==
Impetus  (im'-pa-tas) [L. attack] n. the force with which a body moves; momentum; boost.

"The secret the government never wanted you to know.. SPAM IS PEOPLE!!!!" - Jay Leno

>The Mighty Blue Kings are a class act.

The Mighty Blue Kings are playing with Bowl Of Fire August 24th at the
Marcus Center for Performing Arts in Milwaukee, WI.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 03:26:18 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt
Subject: BOF live archive!!

okay after MUCH agonizing, i FINALLY have gotten up the Bowl of Fire Live
Archive.

seriously, it was a pain in the ass to do. but it's up and it's lovely.
I've got descriptions for 7 shows, and pictures for 3 of them (thanks
ryan!). There's about 100 pictures in all! and it's nicely mapped out, if i
do say so myself. Don't worry if your computer is slow. there's only
thumbnails if you want them and all the pics are as small as i could make
them w/o sacrificing their look.

you can find it by going to
http://www.personal.kent.edu/~jbrandt/bird/live.html

I hope that more people will be able to add descriptions and maybe some
photos sometime. and if your description has been posted there and you
don't like it, send me a new one!

ciao

Jess
          *     --+-READ  THE SHRUBBERY-+--        *
                http://www.theshrubbery.com
     --New Every Month- -Humor, Music, News and More--

End of the-landing-digest V2 #163