Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 16:19:38 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt
Subject: TV this week

Hey y'all, i'm sorry i'm late. but you didn't miss anything. *yawn*

all times eastern, ***** is "pick to click", check www.rockontv.com for
updates etc.

MONDAY AUGUST 2
2:30 am on VH1 (Legends) Johnny Cash

TUESDAY AUGUST 3
12:35 am on NBC (conan o'brien) Harry Connick Jr.*****

WEDNESDAY AUGUST 4
nothing Zipperiffic, but check out 60 Minutes II on CBS at 9 pm, all about
Kris Kristofferson.

THURSDAY AUGUST 5
7:30 am on TVLAND (flip wilson) modern jazz quartet
9 pm on TNN (nascar rocks) Charlie daniels band, others*****
10 pm on VH1 (greatest women of rock n roll, 21-1) Billie, Ella, Patsy, and
others.
1 am on TNN (nascar rocks) charlie daniels band, others *****

FRIDAY AUGUST 6
7:30 am om TVLAND (flip wilson) ray charles

SATURDAY AUGUST 7
9:30 pm on PBS (check listings) Ray Charles in Concert*****

SUNDAY AUGUST 8
nothing Zipperiffic. Why don't you paint a fence instead of watching TV?

          *     --+-READ  THE SHRUBBERY-+--        *
                http://www.theshrubbery.com
     --New Every Month- -Humor, Music, News and More--

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 22:02:44 GMT
From: kobyc@softhome.net (Snifit 4)
Subject: Depressing URL...

I forgot about this, but I came across it again... depressing.

http://users.aol.com/claywalk/squirrelbrandco.html

Any more reports from the front?

- -Peter Destructo
"I got some nasty mail about this strip. Some readers thought it was
inexcusable to show a kid fantasize about bombing his school off the
face of the earth. Apparently some of my readers were never kids
themselves." - Bill Watterson, The Calvin and Hobbes Tenth Anniversary
Book (p. 94)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 11:07:01 +0400
From: graf
Subject: Cab Caloway (sorry if I have misspelled his name)

I've got a question:
	is there any information if Jimbo (or any other Zip) was
influenced by Cab Caloway (because I think there is something similar in
their manners of singing and performing)?
Thank you!

Gregory Durnovo

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #177
*********************************

the-landing-digest      Wednesday, August 4 1999      Volume 02 : Number 178

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  Re: Cab Caloway (sorry if I have misspelled his name)  ["Ryan Sargent" ]
  ...squirrel nut zippers related updates...   ["Ryan Sargent" ]

Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 10:29:09 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: Re: Cab Caloway (sorry if I have misspelled his name)

>I've got a question is there any information if Jimbo (or any other >Zip)
>was influenced by Cab Caloway (because I think there is >something similar
>in their manners of singing and performing)?

I've seen jim say in interview's that Duke Ellington and Cab Calloway are
big influences, both with their music and musicianship. Because as we all
know Duke's band was made up of all-stars. There was Johnny Hodges, Sonny
Greer, Bubber Miley, Cootie Williams, "Tricky Sam" Nanton, Cat Anderson,
Russell Procope, Clark Terry, etc. And of course Cab had Dizzy Gillespie at
one time. And Milt Hinton Jonah Jones, etc. Cab's stage antics remind me of
Tom. And jimbo dressed up like him and danced around like Cab used to in the
opening shot of the "Stephen Foster" video.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 16:31:03 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt
Subject: smor.org down

this saturday, august 7, our maillist server SMOE.ORG will be physically
moving to Virginia, so there will be no mail from saturday until sunday, or
as late as monday.

anything you send will be recieved by the list and saved until the server
is back up, and then will go out.

so don't worry, we'll still be alive this weekend :)

jess

Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 17:48:39 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: ...squirrel nut zippers related updates...

Hey fans,

The Zippers are having quite a busy summer in many ways. *Tom Maxwell
has departed the band in favor of a solo career ready to blossom. We all
wish him the best of luck. He's very excited about the prospects!  See
www.mammoth.com for more information about Tom's departure.

*As was true last time, the video for "Ghost of Stephen Foster" is still
being shown on rock.com.  Please check it out at:
http://www.rock.com/scripts/downloads.cfm?rfd=1&site=dig

*Jas. Mathus & His Knockdown Society played a great tour this summer. One of
their shows was even broadcast on the Internet. They're some of the most fun
I've ever had at a live show. They remind me why being in the South isn't so
bad.  Very inspiring!  For more info, check out www.mammoth.com.

*Katharine Whalen's Jazz Squad is playing a few more dates this summer in
caseyou missed them on their first tour. Unfortunately, as of yet, we have
no dates for the West Coast or non-US cities. Sorry, folks!

KATHARINE WHALEN'S JAZZ SQUAD
Aug 22 Charleston WV Mountain Stage NPR (w/ Dominique Eade, Iris Dement and
Kevin Coyne)
Aug 26 Atlanta, GA  Star Bar
Aug 27 Charlotte, NC Tremont Music Hall
Aug 28 Asheville, NC Be Here Now

- --mammoth records

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 18:03:46 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: News By Kenny.

News By Kenny: Updated 3 August 1999

8-3-99 What profession is the band businessman? Answer: Drug Dealer,
correctly identified by Dawn Carr of Norfolk VA... congrats Dawn, and the
other 40 or so correct responses.. try again next time!

New Trivia Question: What animal was the inspiration for Tom's song
"Twilight?"

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #178
*********************************

the-landing-digest      Thursday, August 5 1999      Volume 02 : Number 179

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  Samsara                       [edward eichelberger ]

Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 12:06:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: edward eichelberger
Subject: Samsara

Does anyone out there happen to know the release date for Tom's album?

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #179
*********************************

No digest August 6

the-landing-digest      Saturday, August 7 1999      Volume 02 : Number 180

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  Re: the-landing-digest V2 #179     ["Joshua Edwards" ]
  future contest from me...          [Shaun Smakal ]
  RE: the-landing-digest V2 #179          [Dawn Carr ]
  Songs for Summer                        [Jessica Brandt ]

Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 12:28:18 PDT
From: "Joshua Edwards"
Subject: Re: the-landing-digest V2 #179

>Does anyone out there happen to know the release date for Tom's album?

I don't remember where I saw it but the date Aug. 25 sticks out in my head
for some reason. Whatever day it is I hope its soon.
pez_boy

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Aug 99 14:10:51 -0800 (PST)
From: Shaun Smakal
Subject: future contest from me...

okay, the things i got to share with y'all were some SNZ stickers.  the black ones with the lighting thingies on them.  ive got 3 to give away to those who correctly answer my questions first.  i havent got any questions right now cause ive been to lazy.  if you happen to already own one of these marvelous stickers, hold back on yer answers so those less privileged can take advantage.  first question will hopefully be out next week so keep eyes open.

the immortal guy,
Shaun

==
Impetus  (im'-pa-tas) [L. attack] n. the force with which a body moves; momentum; boost.

"The secret the government never wanted you to know.. SPAM IS PEOPLE!!!!" - Jay Leno

If you recall, Ken mentioned this CD in his Shrubbery interview. There is a
website for Summer, and it's beautiful. it's at:

http://www.vintageparts.com/summer/index.html

I put a banner link to it on my page, and i hope you all do the same,
whether you have SNZ-related sites or not. We're all in this together...and
she'd do the same for you!!!

as soon as i get time (huh, seems like i've been saying that a lot lately.
i need to write an actual schedule...) I will be making an SNZ charitable
works page/section on my website. hopefully, sometime around the time
Summer's CD comes out!

toodleoo

Jess
PS Congrats to DAWN, the big winner! please tell us all what you have won
when you get it!!!
          *     --+-READ  THE SHRUBBERY-+--        *
                http://www.theshrubbery.com
     --New Every Month- -Humor, Music, News and More--

End of the-landing-digest V2 #180