Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 17:01:24 EDT
From: LitLpish9@aol.com
Subject: Ghost of Stephen Foster

I tried to get the "Ghost of Stephen Foster" video off of the link on the
Official SNZ Website, but I only get the first half every time I try it.  Has
anyone else had this problem, and is there anything I can do to fix it???

*laura*

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 22:24:12 EDT
From: ElinaMalk@aol.com
Subject: I'm back

I just got back from Israel this week.  I had a great time and met tons of
people and it was great.  Guess what!  I get to see Bio Ritimo in two weks at
the Philly Folk Fest.  And I just bought two pavement albums, their new one,
Terror Twilight, and "Westing (by musket and sextant").  terror twilight is
wonderful and Westing is just as godd if you listen through the static and
disturbance.  But I guess that's what you get for recording in a garage on a
four-track and then deciding to not produce at all.  I'm very happy.
- -elina

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #185
*********************************

No digest #186

the-landing-digest      Tuesday, August 17 1999      Volume 02 : Number 187

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  pavement websites                                       [ElinaMalk@aol.com]

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 23:45:41 EDT
From: ElinaMalk@aol.com
Subject: pavement websites

www.pavementtherockband.com is the one that they run.  most of the things on
it aren't fully opperative yet, but it's very pretty and will be wonderful
once it's all working.  it probably has some links on it, too.
- -elina

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #187
*********************************

the-landing-digest     Wednesday, August 18 1999     Volume 02 : Number 188

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  Nothing Zipping                         [Dawn Carr ]
  Re: pavement websites               ["theresa mccart" ]
  News by kenny/BOF.                    ["Ryan Sargent" ]
  BOF  hear Oh, the Grandeur NOW!         [Dawn Carr ]
  Re: BOF hear Oh, the Grandeur NOW!    ["Ryan Sargent" ]
  RE: BOF hear Oh, the Grandeur NOW!      [Dawn Carr ]
  Re: Off topic; Pavement    ["rev. bob pigeon" ]
  Re: Nothing Zipping        ["rev. bob pigeon" ]
  Re: pavement websites      ["rev. bob pigeon" ]
  This has nothing to do with anything...  [Gerald Dishon ]
  Re: This has nothing to do with anything...  ["theresa mccart" ]
  Re: pavement websites               ["theresa mccart" ]
  Re: News by kenny/BOF.              ["theresa mccart" ]
  BOF                                 ["theresa mccart" ]
  Re: bof shows                         ["The Taylor's" ]

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 08:31:56 -0400
From: Dawn Carr
Subject: Nothing Zipping

I scored tickets for two nights of Tom Waits in NYC.   10th row for opening
night!   8]
Any other Raindogs here?

=dc=

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 11:22:51 -0400
From: "theresa mccart"
Subject: Re: pavement websites

Thankyou!  I just clicked on the link and it is indeed a pretty site. Just
like their music right?

Theresa.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 11:22:11 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: News by kenny/BOF.

News By Kenny: Updated 17 August 1999

8-17-99 Mammoth Records today announced that they have dropped Tom Maxwell
from their roster, but they have signed the Teletubbies to a three record
deal. This is not a joke. I will post info on Tom as it becomes available.

And the album cover for Oh! The Grandeur is on the Rykodisc site.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 15:33:06 -0400
From: Dawn Carr
Subject: BOF  hear Oh, the Grandeur NOW!

Hear clips of all the Oh, the Grandeur songs!!!
Wowwwwww...
http://www.rykodisc.com/Catalog/Dump/RykoAlbums_1043.asp

=dc=

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 13:15:08 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: Re: BOF hear Oh, the Grandeur NOW!

>Hear clips of all the Oh, the Grandeur songs!!!
>Wowwwwww...
>http://www.rykodisc.com/Catalog/Dump/RykoAlbums_1043.asp

None of them ever work!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 16:26:27 -0400
From: Dawn Carr

I heard 'em all.   Some twice.  You have RealPlayer, ya?
=dc=

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 16:25:02 -0400
From: "rev. bob pigeon"
Subject: Re: Off topic; Pavement

>No. I don't even know who they are. But I do recommend that everybody go see
>the documentary "Buena Vista Social Club" (based on the album...with 'El
>Cuatro De Tula' and many other great songs).

i tired to get my friend to see it with me but she wouldn't because it was
about cubans and musicians, and instead she wanted to see the blair witch
project...
christ!

but yeah, "Buena Vista Social Club" (the album) is one of the best albums
i've gotten in a while (since "the Vaselines: a Complete History") :)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 16:34:41 -0400
From: "rev. bob pigeon"
Subject: Re: Nothing Zipping

>I scored tickets for two nights of Tom Waits in NYC.   10th row for opening
>night!   8]
>Any other Raindogs here?

didn't know they were on sale till someone told me this morning, and by then
they were sold out

one can imagine how angry i am...

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 16:36:24 -0400
From: "rev. bob pigeon"

At 11:22 AM 8/17/99 -0400, theresa mccart wrote:
>Thankyou!  I just clicked on the link and it is indeed a pretty site. Just
>like their music right?

pavement had a song on this sampler my friend had and it was all about
REM...really weird...

"the year is 1983
 chronic town was the first ep..."

very strange
but it was still a great song
which is also strange

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 18:07:55 -0500
From: Gerald Dishon
Subject: This has nothing to do with anything...

...but it gives me an excuse to say that I'll be going to the Jazz Squad
show in Asheville on the 28th.

Gerald

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 00:13:36 -0400
From: "theresa mccart"

Yes! I've had the same bloody problem.  It has been like that for the past
two weeks.

Theresa.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 00:22:41 -0400
From: "theresa mccart"
Subject: Re: This has nothing to do with anything...

I am totally jealous. I wrote to Andrea from Rykodisc and asked her about
Canadian dates (any other Canadian fans out there other than myself??), and
she told me that they were contemplating on doing some in late November.
Watch it be on the OTHER SIDE of Canada. I may to resort to doing a road
trip to the United States to see these guys live. Does anybody know how much
tickets are for their shows?

Theresa.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 00:20:49 -0400
From: Andy Harman
Subject: SNZ Video??

My brother came across an SNZ video in a local store, he didn't remember
what songs were on it but he said it looked like the cover of Perennial
Favorites... I can't find it anywhere and unfortunately he didn't buy it,
thinking I would already have it.  I've seen no mention of it on this list
or anywhere else.  Is this a real thing or a bootleg?  And if a bootleg,
what was it doing in a Best Buy store in Northern Kentucky?

Andy

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 00:24:22 -0400
From: "theresa mccart"

REM is their biggest influence. However, in reference to the lyrics, I think
the year was 1980!  I think Pavement screwed up. Murmur came out in 1983, if
I do so believe.

Theresa.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 00:26:23 -0400
From: "theresa mccart"
Subject: Re: News by kenny/BOF.

When I was checking out prices for Grandeur, I noticed that one of the web
sites that I visited had the album cover out.  Very strange that Rykodisc
didn't have it first.

Theresa.

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 00:32:12 -0400
From: "theresa mccart"
Subject: BOF

I'm really sorry to be posting so much, however, I just clicked on the
Andrew Bird site on Rykodisc and the Thrills feature isn't there anymore.
It's all very bright, shiny and happy looking and, needless to say, features
the new album.  Oooh...exciting!

Theresa.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 23:48:13 -0500
From: "The Taylor's"
Subject: Re: bof shows

do you have any idea how i caan get out of this chat ?
a couple of months ago i got into this & the next day, my
computer bombed out on me. once fixed, all info on how to
chat or get out of group is gone. I would like to chat, but
dont know how PLEASE help. ive attempted writing others,
but had no response. I keep getting everyone elses chat daily.
Thanks!!!!  Julie
jctaylor@texas.net

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 08:44:43 -0500
From: Bryan Stover
Subject: DANCE BAND RULES AND REGULATIONS DURING THE 3RD REICH

Friends,   Thought you might enjoy this. O those wacky Deutschlanders!

       DANCE BAND RULES AND REGULATIONS DURING THE 3RD REICH

[This is an authentic set of German rules, unfortunately not a joke!]

 1. In the repertoire of light orchestras and dance bands, pieces in
    fox-trot rhythm (so-called swing) are not to exceed 20%.

 2. In the repertoire of this so-called jazz type, preference is to
    be given to compositions in a major key and to lyrics expressing
    joy in life ("Kraft durch Freude"), rather than Jewishly gloomy
    lyrics.

 3. As to the tempo, too, preference is to be given to brisk composi-
    tions as opposed to slow ones (so-called blues); however, the pace
    must not exceed a certain degree of allegro commensurate with the
    Aryan sense for discipline and moderation. On no account will
    negroid excesses in tempo (so-called hot jazz) be permitted, or in
    solo performances (so-called breaks).

 4. So-called jazz compositions may contain at the most 10% syncopation;
    the remainder must form a natural legato movement devoid of hysteri-
    cal rhythmic references characteristic of the music of the barbarian
    races and conducive to dark instincts alien to the German people
    (so-called "riffs").

 5. Strictly forbidden is the use of instruments alien to the German
    spirit (e.g., so-called cowbells, flex-a-tone, brushes, etc.) as
    well as all mutes which turn the noble sound of brass-wind instru-
    ments into a Jewish-Freemasonic yell (so-called wa-wa, in hat, etc.).

 6. Prohibited are so-called drum breaks longer than half a bar in four
    quarter beat (except in stylized military marches).

 7. The double bass must be played solely with the bow in so-called jazz
    compositions; plucking of strings is prohibited, since it is damaging
    to the instrument and detrimental to Aryan musicality. If a so-called
    pizzicato effect is absolutely desirable for the character of the
    composition, let strict care be taken lest the string is allowed to
    patter on the sordine, which is henceforth forbidden.

 8. Provocative rising to one's feet during solo performance is forbidden.

 9. Musicians are likewise forbidden to make vocal improvisations (so-
    called scat).

10. All light orchestras and dance bands are advised to restrict the use
    of saxophones of all keys and to substitute for them violin-celli,
    violas, or possibly a suitable folk instrument.

Signed,
Baldur von Blodheim
Reichsmusicfuhrer und Oberscharfuhrer SS

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 10:01:22 -0500
From: Bryan Stover
Subject: Re: SNZ Video??

Hi Andy,

At Wed, 18 Aug 1999 00:20:49 -0400, Andy Harman said:

>My brother came across an SNZ video in a local store, he didn't
>remember what songs were on it but he said it looked like the cover
>of Perennial Favorites... I can't find it anywhere and unfortunately
>he didn't buy it, thinking I would already have it.  I've seen no
>mention of it on this list or anywhere else.  Is this a real thing
>or a bootleg?  And if a bootleg, what was it doing in a Best Buy
>store in Northern Kentucky?

Here's what a couple of folks said when selling copies of this video
on eBay:

  "This is an official Mammoth records release titled simply, Squirrel
   Nut Zippers Live. It is in a nice box with a full color group photo,
   the box is in great shape. It contains over 30 minutes of live footage
   and band interviews for the serious Squirrel Nut Zippers fan. Recorded
   live in Denver, and issued in 1998."

  "Live footage and band interviews for the serious Squirrel Nut Zippers
   fan. Featuring performances of several tracks from thier new release
   "Perenial Favorites," along with favorites from "Hot" and "The Inevi-
   table." Recorded Live at The Ogden Theater in Denver Colorado."

Let me know if you'd like me to email you JPG images of the front and
back of the video box. (They're low-res images form the eBay listings.)

Cheers,   Bryan

      -+-

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 10:29:25 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: News By Kenny.

New Trivia Question: Name Four Recording Studios in which the Zippers have
recorded.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 17:47:46 EDT
From: LitLpish9@aol.com

In a message dated 08/18/1999 4:38:24 AM Central Daylight Time,
owner-the-landing-digest@smoe.org writes:

<< My brother came across an SNZ video in a local store, he didn't remember
 what songs were on it but he said it looked like the cover of Perennial
 Favorites... I can't find it anywhere and unfortunately he didn't buy it,
 thinking I would already have it.  I've seen no mention of it on this list
 or anywhere else.  Is this a real thing or a bootleg?  And if a bootleg,
 what was it doing in a Best Buy store in Northern Kentucky?

 Andy

Yes, there is a video.  My brother actually got one for me for my birthday.
It's a video with some interviews(Chris, Tom, Jimbo, Katherine, and Ken all
had stuff to say) and songs off all three of their albums.  Let's see...there
was "Put a Lid on It," "An Evening at Laffitte's," "Hell," "Ghost of Stephen
Foster" (but with out Andrew Bird!!!), "Suits Are Picking Up The Bill," "That
Fascinating Thing," "I've Found A New Baby."  I think that's all...there
might be a couple more.  It's not a bootleg.  It's a really cool video!!!  :)

*laura*

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 15:20:39 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"

>It's a video with some interviews

Are they the same interviews from the PF cdrom?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 23:15:15 EDT
From: ElinaMalk@aol.com
Subject: I can't be stopped from going off topic!

I bought a bjork cd.  It's really good.  interesting dance stuff, sort of
like the creatures only she has a pretty icelandic accent.  11 days till i
see Bio Ritimo!
- -elina

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #189
*********************************

the-landing-digest       Friday, August 20 1999       Volume 02 : Number 190

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  Re: SNZ Video                     [Bryan Stover ]
  The Danger of Dixieland           [Bryan Stover ]
  SNZ video                                                [ClayWalk@aol.com]
  SNZ video                              ["Mike Judd" ]
  Re: The Danger of Dixieland             [Andy Harman ]
  Re: SNZ video                           [Andy Harman ]
  Re: The Danger of Dixieland           ["Ryan Sargent" ]
  News from Greg/KDS.                   ["Ryan Sargent" ]
  Re: the-landing-digest V2 #189     ["Joshua Edwards" ]
  Tom Maxwell...               [Daniel F Jarvis ]
  (no subject)                                            [LitLpish9@aol.com]
  Tom Maxwell                   [edward eichelberger ]
  Re: SNZ video                               [Matt Fisken ]
  Re: I can't be stopped from going off topic!  [Matt Fisken ]
  "Mr. Bird"                            ["Ryan Sargent" ]
  Hanging up my stockings            ["Billy Ford" ]
  Re: "Mr. Bird"                      ["theresa mccart" ]
  Re: Hanging up my stockings             [Andy Harman ]

Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 08:06:14 -0500
From: Bryan Stover

At Wed, 18 Aug 1999 15:20:39 PDT, Ryan Sargent wrote:

>>It's a video with some interviews
>
>Are they the same interviews from the PF cdrom?

Nope. They're black and white with a scratchy effect
to simulate old home movie film.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 08:16:30 -0500
From: Bryan Stover
Subject: The Danger of Dixieland

Friends,  Here's a follow up to yesterday's Third Reich piece.

MAN SLIDES HIS TROMBONE & KILLS MUSICIAN IN FRONT OF HIM
By Randy Jeffries/Weekly World News (January 23, 1996)

Bocholt, Germany - A band musician died of a brain injury
when the trombonist behind him jerked the slide of his trom-
bone forward and struck the trumpeter in the back of the
head. Police say the tragedy occurred as the Gratzfeld College
band was rehearsing the spirited American jazz classic, "When
the Saints Go Marching In."

According to other band members, trombonist Peter Niemeyer,
19, "got carried away" with the music. He started gyrating and
thrashing around as he played.  At one point, he jerked for-
ward and the rounded metal slide on his instrument hit trumpet
player Dolph Mohr, 20, dropping him instantly to the floor.
"Niemeyer was pumping the slide very hard," said medical exam-
iner Dr. Max Krause. "But it wasn't just the force of the blow
that killed Mohr. "The slide struck him in the worst possible
place--the vulnerable spot just behind and below the left ear.
"Bone fragments pierced his brain, killing him instantly."

The incident has provoked a storm of controversy over whether
or not American jazz should be played in German colleges. "I
believe the music is to blame," said Gratzfeld band director
Heinrich Sommer. "I was pressured to play that selection by
school administrators. But I've always said jazz is dangerous
music, "Our musicians can't control themselves when they play
it. They move and rock back and forth, creating chaos. If I had
my way, American Dixieland would be outlawed in Germany. I've
been directing bands for 30 years and I've never heard of any-
one dying while playing a German march."

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 09:33:08 EDT
From: ClayWalk@aol.com

There is also a 25 minute documentary that I made on the band back in '96 for
the release of "Hot."  It is titled "Squirrel Nut Zippers Musical Candy."  It
focuses largely on the bands' history and the recording of "Hot."  Most of it
was split up into the "Hot" CD-ROM but it exists as a stand alone piece.  It
has shown at a couple of film festival type things.  The label sent out about
1000 or so to use as a promotional item for "Hot."  It got chopped up into
little video clips all over the place.  I always felt like it kind of got
squashed by the label because they weren't interested in distributing it
after so much work was put into it.

clay w.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 11:41:00 EDT
From: "Mike Judd"

This video was a promotion given out free to the first 50 or 100 (I forget)
people to buy PF at Best Buy.  The interviews are from, what looks like,
backstage at the concert.
  The problem I had with the tape is that Mammoth was so cheap that they it
is on SLP so the quality isn't that great.  I mean the thing is only 30
minutes and it was a limited release, couldn't they splurge a bit.  I guess
I'm just a bit bitter because I should be listening to Tom's album by
now....

Mike

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 11:45:32 -0400
From: Andy Harman
Subject: Re: The Danger of Dixieland

At 08:16 AM 8/19/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Heinrich Sommer. "I was pressured to play that selection by
>school administrators. But I've always said jazz is dangerous
>music, "Our musicians can't control themselves when they play
>it. They move and rock back and forth, creating chaos.

They could always stand a little farther apart.  It's also possible that
the trumpet player was an asshole (hey, it happens!!).

>If I had
>my way, American Dixieland would be outlawed in Germany. I've
>been directing bands for 30 years and I've never heard of any-
>one dying while playing a German march."

That's because they've never played one in Tel-Aviv....

Andy

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 11:48:39 -0400
From: Andy Harman

At 09:33 AM 8/19/99 EDT, you wrote:
>1000 or so to use as a promotional item for "Hot."  It got chopped up into
>little video clips all over the place.  I always felt like it kind of got
>squashed by the label because they weren't interested in distributing it
>after so much work was put into it.

Is there anything lately that HASN'T been squashed by "the label"?

Radio stations no longer play SNZ - at all - and MTV apparently won't play
the Stephen Foster video (although I can't say I've watched it round the
clock to find out).

I think sabotage of their own artists (certainly from a marketing
standpoint) ought to be grounds for cancellation of the remaining contract.

Andy

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 10:40:07 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"

>They could always stand a little farther apart.  It's also possible >that
>the trumpet player was an asshole (hey, it happens!!).

Being a trumpet player myself I know a lot of other trumpet players. And if
there was a fight it was most likely started by the trumpeter...thats just
the way most of us are (not me though).

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 10:46:06 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: News from Greg/KDS.

News from Greg from Hobex:

i'd also like to alert you to the "vive l'anarchy!" labor day weekend
(sept 4 & 5) out at the chicken shack, located off of chicken bridge
road in chatham county. it's a two day event  with camping featuring a wide
array of local music - hobex, knockdown society, trailer bride, carbines,
countdown quartet, besty in the gene pool, sideways alley jass band,memphis,
vivian slade, lobsterboy and bengt. tickets are 15 at the door, 12.50 in
advance -  the ticket includes two days of music, parking and camping. for
directions, the info number is 919 942 1995. check
www.bestyinthegenepool.com for more online info.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 11:15:26 PDT
From: "Joshua Edwards"
Subject: Re: the-landing-digest V2 #189

>what was it doing in a Best Buy store in Northern Kentucky?

What city in Northern Kentucky? I live in KY and would kill to have that
video!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 18:54:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: Daniel F Jarvis
Subject: Tom Maxwell...

Hey everyone... Since Kenny's last post, I haven't seen anything said by
anyone about Mammoth dropping tom from their roster. What's going on here?
I have seen his CD advertised no where, and no one knows anything about
it. As we all should know it was supposed to be out on Tuesday, and
still... nothing. Any one know anything i don't?

Dan Jarvis
(AKA Blufish)

p.s. - In about a month or so, Myself and two other friends will be
getting back together to broadcast our E-Radio Show "We Have Explosives"
We broadcast over the internet using technmology developed by Nullsoft,
the creators of WinAmp.
	We play Techno, alternative, rock, jazz, anything you can think of
really... If any one wants to listen and has any requests for our show,
please e-mail me at this address. Thanks everyone for your support. I'll
be sending a message to the list again once we actually have a schedule.
Later.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 19:05:36 EDT
From: LitLpish9@aol.com
Subject: (no subject)

<< Are they the same interviews from the PF cdrom? >>

no, they are different interviews

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 16:13:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: edward eichelberger

Where did you get info on the release date of Tom's address, Daniel?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 19:17:33 -0400
From: Matt Fisken

>Radio stations no longer play SNZ - at all - and MTV apparently won't play
>the Stephen Foster video (although I can't say I've watched it round the
>clock to find out).

Yeah, and the cybercast of one of their concerts was recently pulled from
the archives at hob.com. I bet you Mammoth had something to do with it.
I'm really mad now.

Matt

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 19:21:28 -0400
From: Matt Fisken
Subject: Re: I can't be stopped from going off topic!

>I bought a bjork cd.  It's really good.  interesting dance stuff, sort of
>like the creatures only she has a pretty icelandic accent.  11 days till i
>see Bio Ritimo!
>-elina

For an interesting (animated) bjork video, go to www.spumco.com. (Yup,
that's the same website that's hosting a high quality version of "Ghost
of Stephen Foster". Just go under entertainment. Here's the direct link
to the .mov file: http://www.spumco.com/entertainment/bjork/bjork.mov

Matt

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 17:15:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: edward eichelberger
Subject: Re: Tom Maxwell

album...sorry =)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 19:17:10 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: "Mr. Bird"

Check out this comic strip with a character based on Andrew Bird set in the
1940's (notice how they actually use some of the lyrics...kind of):

http://home.stlnet.com/~pistolwhip/newmain.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 20:41:15 PDT
From: "Billy Ford"
Subject: Hanging up my stockings

Hello everyone. I'm new to this digest and wanted to introduce myself
properly (takes a bow...).

Anyways, I was listening to Christmas Caravan while I was drawing one night
and I left it playing after the last song. After a while, it started playing
the original version of Hanging Up My Stockings by Chester Church. Did
anyone else notice this. Its kinda neat.

                                             Billy Ford

The best produce starts with the best seeds.
                   -SNZ Perennial Favorites

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 00:03:07 -0400
From: "theresa mccart"
Subject: Re: "Mr. Bird"

My God!  How did you find this?

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 02:39:01 -0400
From: Andy Harman
Subject: Re: Hanging up my stockings

At 08:41 PM 8/19/99 PDT, you wrote:

>Anyways, I was listening to Christmas Caravan while I was drawing one night
>and I left it playing after the last song. After a while, it started playing
>the original version of Hanging Up My Stockings by Chester Church. Did
>anyone else notice this. Its kinda neat.

I was playing this at a friend's house and when that old version came on it
scared her half out of her wits (she thought it was over and went into the
kitchen).  She said it "sounds like some old drunk outside the window".

I never knew who the original recording was made by... since it is
uncredited... how did you find out?

Andy

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #190
*********************************

the-landing-digest      Saturday, August 21 1999      Volume 02 : Number 191

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  Re: Hanging up my stockings           ["Ryan Sargent" ]
  RE: dixieland death                            [jbrandt ]
  Re: Tom Maxwell              [Daniel F Jarvis ]
  Re: Tom Maxwell              [Daniel F Jarvis ]
  haven't done this for a while                           [ElinaMalk@aol.com]

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 08:37:27 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"

>I never knew who the original recording was made by... since it is
>uncredited... how did you find out?

That was Chris's grandfather in that song.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 13:12:01 -0400
From: jbrandt
Subject: RE: dixieland death

Hey all, still here in NC. Haven't seen or heard from Kenny yet but Hobex is
playing saturday so we'll see. I saw the countdown quartet sunday, by chance,
at Henry's Bistro (20 pts. for you if you know why that place is famous!) and
last night i went to see Insignificant Others at the home of writer/director
J. David Moody aka one of TOm's best friends. More on that later.

but anyway, in regards to the Dixieland thing someone posted....Most jazz
bands i know have the trumpets behind the trombones, and saxes in front of
them. If playing trombone is so deadly to those around them, i can see why
they'd position the saxes so ;) andy ;)

for the record, the rubber cover came off the "foot" of my trombone slide
years ago, and i have since sharpened it to a point :)

Jess

READ THE SHRUBBERY!
      http://www.theshrubbery.com
*Humor, music, movies, lit, and more!*
      New Every Month. We Promise.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 16:15:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: Daniel F Jarvis

Well, I went to Anrew's Birds show in Narragansett, RI. While I was there
a friend and i met some people interest, anmely Je's wife and her mother
and son. Je's son was a little cutie. Anyway, we asked them about the
album and they said they had recieved a copy for them selves and it was
"like the Zippers on Acid" hehehe. So we asked when it was coming out and
they told us.

The thing is, I've seen it advertised no where else. :(

Dan Jarvis

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 17:10:45 -0400 (EDT)
From: Daniel F Jarvis

Actually, I just asked my friend, and he says he's pretty sure that he
found out the date on the Shrubbery too.... check it out, i haven't been
there for a while.

Dan

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 00:40:08 EDT
From: ElinaMalk@aol.com
Subject: haven't done this for a while

The top ten CD's that i currently can't stop listening to:

1) Pavement, Terror Twilight
2) Pavement, Westing (By Musket and Sextant)
3) Pavement, Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
4) Poster Children, New World Record
5) Hank Dogs, [I can't remember the name of the album]
6) The Creatures, Anima Animus
7) Lew Reed, Rock and Roll Animal
8) Bjork, Debut
9) David Bowie, Ziggy Stardust