Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 21:52:35 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: SNZ reference.

I found SNZ mentioned on TV and thought it was pretty cool so hear it is.
While I was flipping through channels I caught a music video like thing for
the Dirty Dozen Brass Band on BETjazz for the song "Unclean Waters" and kept
on watching thinking there would be some thing else good on after too. After
the commercial the host said:

"This next band 'Paris Combo' has been said to be a French version of
America's Squirrel Nut Zippers. Mixing Hot jazz with gypsy, swing, and other
influences to make a crazy party band."

The band was led by a woman and had growling trumpets...thats all I can say
about them.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 22:08:05 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: Re: SNZ reference.

>I found SNZ mentioned on TV and thought it was pretty cool so hear it is.

I forgot to mention the best part. The last video they showed was a live
performance by the band 'Mighty Blue Kings'. They played a really SWEET slow
strolling blues number called "Baby put your hands in mine". I heard of this
band before, but thought they were just another one of those corny (every
song is the same) rip-off neo swing bands. I don't know about there other
songs, but that was one sweet blues. And like Louis, Duke, and just about
everybody else that mattered said "There aint nothing higher than the
blues"......

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 22:09:57 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"

>I found SNZ mentioned on TV and thought it was pretty cool so hear it is.

I forgot to mention the best part. The last video they showed was a live
performance by the band 'Mighty Blue Kings'. They played a really SWEET slow
strolling blues number called "Baby put your hands in mine". I heard of this
band before, but thought they were just another one of those corny (every
song is the same) rip-off neo swing bands. And didn't they open for BOF or
something. I don't know about there other songs, but that was one sweet
blues. And like Louis, Duke, and just about everybody else that mattered
said "There aint nothing higher than the blues"  ......MMMM HMMMM

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #199
*********************************

the-landing-digest       Monday, August 30 1999       Volume 02 : Number 200

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  Re: the-landing-digest V2 #199                          [Sambone67@aol.com]
  Re: the-landing-digest V2 #199                          [LitLpish9@aol.com]
  Re: the-landing-digest V2 #199        ["Ryan Sargent" ]
  RE: versus!                             [Dawn Carr ]
  NC part 3: i'm marrying into the family  [Jessica Brandt ]
  HOLY MOSES SHNIZLIT!               [Shaun Smakal ]
  Mighty Blue Kings                  [Shaun Smakal ]

Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 04:51:53 EDT
From: Sambone67@aol.com
Subject: Re: the-landing-digest V2 #199

I just recieved the "Katherine Whalen's Jazz squad[sp]" pretty dang sweet:-)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 12:28:42 EDT
From: LitLpish9@aol.com

<< I forgot to mention the best part. The last video they showed was a live
 performance by the band 'Mighty Blue Kings'. They played a really SWEET slow
 strolling blues number called "Baby put your hands in mine". I heard of this
 band before, but thought they were just another one of those corny (every
 song is the same) rip-off neo swing bands. And didn't they open for BOF or
 something. I don't know about there other songs, but that was one sweet
 blues. And like Louis, Duke, and just about everybody else that mattered
 said "There aint nothing higher than the blues"  ......MMMM HMMMM >>

BOF opened for them in Milwaulkee on the 24th.  Andrew and Kevin are going to
be interviewed tonight (sunday) at 7:30 on 93.1 WXRT  in Chicago.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 10:10:58 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"

>BOF opened for them in Milwaulkee on the 24th.  Andrew and Kevin are going
>be interviewed tonight (sunday) at 7:30 on 93.1 WXRT  in Chicago.

I will pay for the tape & shiping if you tape it!

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 13:28:26 -0400
From: Dawn Carr
Subject: RE: versus!

Got to have 'em both, boys and girls.   But if I have to, I'll take Oh, the
Grandeur on the island along with my gin tonic fixins, juggling apparatus,
and Shakespeare plays.

Anyone else notice the shades of Archie Bunker when Andrew sings "If I could
my Darlin..." ?

=dc=

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 17:17:41 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt
Subject: NC part 3: i'm marrying into the family

Okay here's the last part of my trip sort of summed up. it's SNZ related.

One thing, i met a guy while down there. ironically enough he sort of
"picked me up" by mentioning his mom knew Jimbo (i was wearing an SNZ
shirt). His mom is Judy Woodall, who fronts "Judy Woodall's Mule Train" and
they played at all the barn dances this year.

SO we had a very packed-together week, fell in love, blah blah. the
exciting part (for y'all) is that i got to go to his mom's house for
dinner. She has a big farm house on the outskirts of Hilsborough, and in
that house is a recording studio. and Jimbo has recorded there! In fact, i
think he's doing some knockdown society stuff there. Her house is awesome.
there's all these instruments all over the place.

I guess Jimbo was over there recording on friday. She said she'd get me an
autograph. hehehe.

but the COOLEST thing is that she is also tight with Katherine, and since
Judy's singer quit the band, she has been looking for people to help fill
in and sing on her new album. She told me that Katherine will be singing
one of her (Judy's) songs on the new album, so YAY!!!! I'm going to try to
get some recordings so i can actually check this stuff out.

Another person she's tight with is Greg from Hobex. I saw Hobex for the
first time the night i left, Saturday, at the Cat's Cradle. The opening
band was The Carbines, and they're a good country-billy band led by this
little blonde girl that can WAIL. I mean, that voice comes from somewhere
deep inside. she sounds like Patsy Cline.

Hobex. Wow. they are one of the funkiest, grooviest bands i've ever seen.
Greg is this little cherubic white guy (like a tiny version of Andy
Richter) and he sounds like marvin gaye. In fact, they did 2 or 3 marvin
gaye tunes in the set. Unfortunately, none of the Zippers were at the show
(i tried to get Ken to come but he said he was rehearsing "some horrible
rock and roll shit" that night with glen ghram).

If you haven't gotten "Back on the 90's" yet, i reccomend it. it's their
last release, and i think all of the Zippers except maybe Stu and Katherine
appear on the album. and of course, you can buy it from Wash Jones. hehe
www.personal.kent.edu/~jbrandt/store/store.html

I got to meet Greg after the show. I guess he's played slide guitar with
Mule Train so Judy introduced me. He was wearing this black shirt that said
"Jas. Mathus and his Knockdown Society" and "North Mississippi All Stars"
and i wanted to buy it from him, but it was all worn out. he said he stole
it from Jim cuz he's in the band (KDS). Bastard!

I guess they're going to try to plan some more barn dances for the fall.
One of us has to get down there sometime!!! (of course, i am not adverse to
going down there again. hehe)

HOWEVER, if you're looking for something wild to do for Labor Day weekend,
i have this flyer here that you might be interested in:
Live Wire Productions Presents
VIVE L'ANARCHY! at the CHICKEN SHACK
Labor Day Weekend Sept. 4&5
Featuring... HOBEX, HIPBONE, THE KNOCKDOWN SOCIETY, TRAILER BRIDE, BETSY IN
THE GENE POOL, MEMPHIS, THE CARBINES, SIDEWAYS ALLEY JAZZ BAND, COUNTDOWN
QUARTET, VIVIAN SLADE, LOBSTERBOY, BENGT
Tickets $15 at the door, $12.50 advance. Availible at ZRecord Exchange,
Schoolkids (Triangle and greensboro), Poindexter, millenium (Durham), CD
Alley, East Coast (Greenville)...Price includes 2 days, parking and camping.
NO GLASS BOTTLES, PETS ON LEASH
More info, call (919) 942-1995, or visit www.betsyinthegenepool.com

This concert is gonna be good. i've seen 5 of the 12 bands, and they're all
worth seeing. plus, it's all camping and stuff. i can imagine Jim will just
be hanging around camping too! :) If you want directions, email me or visit
that website.

If anyone plans on going, let me know!

that's all i got for now. toodles!

Jess

          *     --+-READ  THE SHRUBBERY-+--        *
                http://www.theshrubbery.com
     --New Every Month- -Humor, Music, News and More--

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 14:49:18 PDT
From: "Sam ???"

mighty blue kings kick ass.  i just wanted to mention that
~sam

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Aug 99 17:1:13 -0800 (PST)
From: Shaun Smakal
Subject: HOLY MOSES SHNIZLIT!

US GYMANSTICS!!!  TWO ROUTINES BACK TO BACK USED THE SQUIRREL NUT ZIPPERS!!!  MY DRAG WAS THE SONG!

quote:
"...its so quirky..."

==
Impetus  (im'-pa-tas) [L. attack] n. the force with which a body moves; momentum; boost.

"The secret the government never wanted you to know.. SPAM IS PEOPLE!!!!" - Jay Leno

the-landing-digest      Tuesday, August 31 1999      Volume 02 : Number 201

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  Off the subject (again!)           [Jarrad Jalbert ]
  Re: the-landing-digest V2 #200                          [LitLpish9@aol.com]
  Re: the-landing-digest V2 #200                          [LitLpish9@aol.com]
  News from Ken.                        ["Ryan Sargent" ]
  Re: News from Ken.                      [Andy Harman ]
  oh i don't know...                 [Shaun Smakal ]

Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 17:41:01 -0400
From: Jarrad Jalbert
Subject: Off the subject (again!)

Of course I'm off the subject! I just thought I'd like everyone to know
that I was just at the local mall and Best Buy, and bought a few CDs. Lou
Bega (haven't had a chance to listen to it yet; it looks nice at least),
Let it Be by the Beatles, some Best Buy Exclusive CD of Jimmy Buffett, and
a CD called 'Celtic Fiddle'. Love celtic music, love fiddle music: why not
combine'em? Just thought I'd let everyone know

									Jarrad

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 18:13:10 EDT
From: LitLpish9@aol.com
Subject: Re: the-landing-digest V2 #200

<< > what's better ya think, heretic blues or oh the grandeur? >>

I honestly can't choose!!  They're both so good!!!!!!!!!

*laura*

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 18:15:31 EDT
From: LitLpish9@aol.com

<< I will pay for the tape & shiping if you tape it! >>

I'd be happy to!  It's only 30 min long.  It was cute.  They did this little
advertisement, and I was rolling on the ground laughing!!  Just send me your
info to  LitLpish9@aol.com

*laura*

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 18:08:08 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: News from Ken.

News By Kenny: Updated 31 August 1999

8-31-99 Trivia Five Question: Name Four Recording Studios in which the
Zippers have recorded answered correctly by Tom Schreck (of the band Ten
Cent Haircuts) of Bismark, ND, who answered,"ok, well, you've recorded at
Kingsway, Kensway (your house), WaveCastle, Yellow Recording, and that's
four, so I don't have to mention Spaceland, Overdub Lane, Mitch's
Brickhenge, or Jimbo and Katherine's (if that counts as a studio)." Right
you are, but don't forget Cat's Cradle and The Viper Room. KEN

8-29-99 Mammoth Record has agreed to let us record starting in October, for
an album that will come out in Early Spring, 2000! We will announce a title
as soon as we know.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 00:51:50 -0400
From: Andy Harman
Subject: Re: News from Ken.

At 06:08 PM 8/30/99 PDT, you wrote:
>News By Kenny: Updated 31 August 1999
>8-29-99 Mammoth Record has agreed to let us record starting in October, for
>an album that will come out in Early Spring, 2000! We will announce a title
>as soon as we know.

Ok that gives us just a little over a month to talk Tom into coming back..!!!

Hey Tom we really need ya... who else is gonna play the bari sax when Ken's
on guitar?  You surely don't want ME to do it (although I got "Suits" and
"Bad Businessman" down pretty well)....

Andy ;-)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Aug 99 22:8:18 -0800 (PST)
From: Shaun Smakal
Subject: oh i don't know...

first:

Good news!  thats great!  new album!

second:

I would have won the trivia thing.  I knew everyplace but the viper room (what was this?)  if i hadnt gotten a error message the three times i tried posting it i might have a shirt to give out with those last too stickers.

thought i forgot didnt you?  nope, just lazy!

Shaun

==
Impetus  (im'-pa-tas) [L. attack] n. the force with which a body moves; momentum; boost.

"The secret the government never wanted you to know.. SPAM IS PEOPLE!!!!" - Jay Leno

the-landing-digest      Friday, September 3 1999      Volume 02 : Number 203

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  Katharine on cnn.com                  ["Ryan Sargent" ]

Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 15:26:18 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: Katharine on cnn.com

From: "Fitzgerald, Kerry"

I haven't posted in a while, but...

Check out this article that just went up today!!  Awesome photos!!

http://www.cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/Music/9909/02/whalen/index.html

- --kerry

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #203
*********************************

the-landing-digest     Saturday, September 4 1999     Volume 02 : Number 204

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  feetlips commercial                     [Jessica Brandt ]

Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 09:55:26 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt
Subject: feetlips commercial

Was watching TV this morning and i came upon a commercial on HGTV (i think
it was. or maybe TLC) for pasta and guess what song they used...

the beginning instrumental part of "Feetlips"!!! (this is a song from the
new BOF album)

Of course, i didn't catch the name of the company cuz i was so excited
about it, and i had to call my mom (no one was around!) and I looked all
morning for the company online but i can't figure it out...

something like "torlino" or "tovolo"....ARGH! i remember that under the
product name it had a little "aol keyword:" thing, but i don't have AOL...

anyway, keep an eye out for this pasta commercial with "Feetlips" and
please someone let me know what the hell company it is!

Also we need to find out if BOF/Ryko gave sanctions to use their song. if
not, we'll have to boycott said pasta once we find out its name! :)

Jess
          *     --+-READ  THE SHRUBBERY-+--        *
                http://www.theshrubbery.com
     --New Every Month- -Humor, Music, News and More--

End of the-landing-digest V2 #204