Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 20:17:15 EST
From: "Pen elly"
Subject: Australia....

Hello.  :o)

Are the Squirrel Nut Zippers ever going to come to Australia and do some
shows??

[crosses fingers]

:o)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 08:02:00 PDT
From: "Daniel  Summers "
Subject: A lurkers thoughts right now

Hello all;
  This is one of your lurkers posting.  I've been going through the past
weeks SNZ lists and reading through them, and it is amazing to me how much
conversation there is about BOF and so little about SNZ.  Now of course, I
understand that since the SNZ's are "down" at the moment and not doing
anything much newsworthy that we hear about, it isn't a surprise that not
much is written right now.  And this leads into my next thoughts:
  I personally (Can you believe this?) have NEVER heard BOF before!  I heard
ABOUT them several years ago with their first album, but never invested in
it, and still haven't invested in the new one either.  Now I know that I
should be desperately ashamed, and be afraid to show my face in here because
of that fact, but I have always been wary of trying new music out when I
can't get it for cheap (Like through Columbia House--which doesn't cary BOF
or SNZ), but all this conversation about BOF really makes me want to run out
and give their albums a spin!  I do have a few questions though for anyone
who feels up to answering:

1. What is their musical style? (If they even have one), or maybe a better
question is "What should I expect when I pick up one of their albums?"

2. Is one album better than the other?

3. Does Andrew play his violin/fiddle often on the albums, like he does so
BREATHTAKINGLY on SNZ's albums?

4. How would you compare BOF to the SNZ's?

  In reference to the CNN article on Katharine and one of our "post-ers"
dislike of it, I actually thought it was pretty good.  The author didn't
really seem to put too much stock in the "nay-sayers" remarks on Katharine.
The only thing I didn't care for was the comment at the end about Katharine
finding her own voice--MY GOODNESS!!!!  She already HAS!!!  That IS her
voice, and even though some could draw comparison's to Billie Holiday,
Katharine's voice truly is not Billie's!  There are only a few songs where
Billie seems to come through in the vocals.
  Billie could NEVER have convincingly sung some of the songs that Katharine
does, and likewise, Katharine could never convincingly sing some of Billie's
songs, because Billie had something that so many lack!  And Katharine also
has something that so many lack!  Billie could sing those sad, despondent
songs so well, becuase sadness and despondency seems to be a part of Billie!
She couldn't have sung Put a Lid on It (I don't think) because her voice
never seemed to reach the "happiness" level that Katharine's does!
  Well, I'll stop now.
  I guess that's all I can think of right now, except that I ABSOLUTELY
CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE SQUIRREL NUT ZIPPERS IN CONCERT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!  I am
going through withdrawal here!  I saw them in York, Pa and Columbus, Ohio,
so far and they are just absolutely amazing in concert!!!!  They blow the
pants off all the other people and bands I've seen in concert (Except for
the Chieftan's which seem to blow everyone's pants off, too!).

Buenos Dias!
Daniel Summers

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 11:42:54 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt
Subject: re: Floyd

Josh said:

<>

Welp, my boyfriend lives in Durham, which is about 20 or 30 miles west of
Carborro. I know that his college in Durham was cancelled Wednesday at noon
and all day thursday. They predicted flooding but he reports that
everything was pretty dry by friday. he did, however, spend Thursday night
in the basement.

Both Chapel Hill and Carborro are still about 4 hours west of the coast,
but that area did get hit with at least some flooding. As for "get out yer
boat" flooding, I don't know. I emailed Kenny on the 12th and haven't heard
back from him, but I can't attribute that to Floyd, I attribute it to being
ignored ;)

Another thing...haven't seen my friend who lives in Carborro online
lately...i'll email her and see if she's underwater or not.

Man, that'd suck if any recording equipment got zapped...

Jess

          *     --+-READ  THE SHRUBBERY-+--        *
                http://www.theshrubbery.com
     --New Every Month- -Humor, Music, News and More--

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 11:32:08 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: Re: A lurkers thoughts right now

>1. What is their musical style? (If they even have one), or maybe a >better
>question is "What should I expect when I pick up one of their >albums?"

Hot Jazz, Klezmer, calypso, anything else you have heard SNZ described as,
and just all around great music! (Throw in some of Louis' Hot 5's/7's  and
throw in some Django Rheinhardt w/ Stephan grappelli.)

>2. Is one album better than the other?

There all good.

>3. Does Andrew play his violin/fiddle often on the albums, like he >does so
>BREATHTAKINGLY on SNZ's albums?

OH YEAH!

>4. How would you compare BOF to the SNZ's?

I wouldn't.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Sep 99 15:43:34 -0800 (PST)
From: Shaun Smakal
Subject: Re: Australia....

HA HA!!!  That is really funny!  I'd have to say that an Australian tour is more likely than an appearance in Flint, MI, though, so don't give up!

Shaun

==
Impetus  (im'pa-tas) [L. impetere-attack] n. an impulse; a stimulus

You're great...pour moi au poop en fonction!

Add email to your web site - FAST, FREE, and CUSTOMIZED!
.............. http://www.everyone.net ..............

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 20:21:00 -0400
From: "theresa mccart"

Hi Daniel!

Here are a few of my opinions to answer your questions:

>1. What is their musical style? (If they even have one), or maybe a better
>question is "What should I expect when I pick up one of their albums?"

The Bowl of Fire musical style is hard to pin down.  You can find their cds
in the jazz section of your local music store.  So, I would start with that.
I personally see them as a cross between "dust bowl music" (depression era)
meets "Edward Gorey" (like a reviewer said) meets the composer Liszt (their
songs have Yiddish undertones).

Hank Williams meets Mick Harvey.

>2. Is one album better than the other?

I like "Thrills" better than "Oh! The Grandeur".  Unfortunately, I haven't
had a chance to listen to Grandeur as much as Thrills, I lost the cd!  I
think I left it at someone's house and someone isn't owning up to the fact
that it's in their possession!!!!

>3. Does Andrew play his violin/fiddle often on the albums, like he does so
>BREATHTAKINGLY on SNZ's albums?

Yes!  Even more so since it's his own band.

>4. How would you compare BOF to the SNZ's?

Ummm, really there are no comparisions.  Except for really great lyrics.

Bowl of Fire music is great music to swim by, it's tranquil.  Where as,
Squirrel Nut Zipper music is great if you are really late in the morning and
in need of a good, happy jolt.  Sort of like a strong cup of coffee without
the really bad caffeine hang over. Especially "Ghost of Steven Foster" and
the "Kraken" (sp).

Theresa.

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #216
*********************************

the-landing-digest     Monday, September 20 1999     Volume 02 : Number 217

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  Stephen Foster in high quality  ["Note: This message contains three charac]
  I just couldn't wait any longer.  ["Note: This message contains three chra]
  Re: the-landing-digest V2 #216                         [TwoJoplins@aol.com]
  A lurkers thoughts right now                            [LitLpish9@aol.com]
  Riddle me this, riddle me that....  [Shaun Smakal ]

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 11:28:01 GMT
From: "Note: This message contains three characters and one crackpot idea."
Subject: Stephen Foster in high quality

http://www.spumco.com/entertainment/snz/index.html
I haven't downloaded it yet, but the webmaster told me it would be in better quality than the rock.com version. It'll take a while...

- -Peter Destructo
Ferguson- "It's time the Darling family moved into the 80s."
Clarissa- "It's the 90s, fergwad!"
Ferguson- "I know. The 80s were SO much better."

AOL IM: sgkoby  <-- good
ICQ: 48622775   <-- better
The trash heap has spoken. Nyeh!

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 11:27:56 GMT
From: "Note: This message contains three chraracters and one crackpot idea."
Subject: I just couldn't wait any longer.

The three CD stores to which I have access all charge the same price for O!TG: $17.99. So the other day, I bit the bullet, walked in and bought it and walked home and unwrapped it and WHOA... damn good CD. Damn good. I could say more but that's why we have Jessica Brandt, right? My only comment is that when I saw it on the rack at The Wall (it was with the SNZ CDs, btw, along with Jz Sqd and KDS), the back of it with the cardboard on top made it look like the packaging was some sort of *box*, not just a jewel case. Custom packaging would have been awesome for this disque. Bird's writing style kicks ass.

Idea: The illustrious Andrew Bird has, of late, released a wonderful and pleasing disque for young and old alike. He who has two bits or a week-old coffee receptacle from McDonald's and a cachet of naive tourists on a New York subway would do well to proceed to his nearest music store and purchase "Oh! The Grandeur" immediately.

- -Peter Destructo

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 09:41:49 EDT
From: TwoJoplins@aol.com
Subject: Re: the-landing-digest V2 #216

can someone get me a link to that CNN article? I missed it!
Phil

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 13:02:50 EDT
From: LitLpish9@aol.com

In a message dated 09/19/1999 3:09:03 AM Central Daylight Time,
owner-the-landing-digest@smoe.org writes:

<<
 >1. What is their musical style? (If they even have one), or maybe a better
 >question is "What should I expect when I pick up one of their albums?"

Great great music!!!!!

 >2. Is one album better than the other?

 They are both great albums, but I personally like Oh The Grandeur better
than Thrills.  I love them both, don't get me wrong.

 >3. Does Andrew play his violin/fiddle often on the albums, like he does so
 >BREATHTAKINGLY on SNZ's albums?

Oh yeah!!!  :)

 >4. How would you compare BOF to the SNZ's?

I couldn't possibly compare the two.

*laura*

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 99 13:36:10 -0800 (PST)
From: Shaun Smakal
Subject: Riddle me this, riddle me that....

Sorry, not much SNZ content but for the 2nd sticker question below...

Hey, Jess!  You scored some copies of OTG for free, so I was wondering if you could use that 'CHARM' (nice article) of yours and get me a free copy of the full versions of Adobe Illustrater 8.0 and Photoshop 5.0.2!  I'd owe you big time!

Do any of you find it odd that I can't download Netscape Navigator because of some error in my Internet Explorer browser?  Tried it twice now and i still get a Microsoft java error...

Here it is:
What two cars has Jimbo driven that we could know of?

Remember, if you already have the sticker, hold back on the answers and first right respnonce is the winner!

Sorry it took so long...
Shaun

==
Impetus  (im'pa-tas) [L. impetere-attack] n. an impulse; a stimulus

You're great...pour moi au poop en fonction!

Subject: floyd

Jess,
I'm glad that someone responded to my post. And even more glad that it is
someone that could actually get the information I was asking about. Please
try and find out, and post it on here. Even though I don't write often, I do
read it everyday.
Joshua

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #217
*********************************

the-landing-digest     Tuesday, September 21 1999     Volume 02 : Number 218

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  RE: Bowl of Fire                        [Dawn Carr ]
  re: Free stuff, Floyd, holiday tips     [Jessica Brandt ]
  BIG BIG BIG BIG NEWS                    [Jessica Brandt ]
  Re: BIG BIG BIG BIG NEWS              ["Ryan Sargent" ]
  Thoughts about everything                                [SNZfreak@aol.com]

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 10:12:15 -0400
From: Dawn Carr
Subject: RE: Bowl of Fire

Andrea,
I don't suppose that BOF would ever touch down in Norfolk/Virginia Beach,
but if they did I would beat the bushes for you.
And I know how.
Cheers,
Dawn

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 17:38:05 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt
Subject: re: Free stuff, Floyd, holiday tips

Koby said:

<>

Heh, sure! If you missed my review, you can find it at
http://www.theshrubbery.com this month.

And as soon as I get some time, I'm gonna take the plunge and finagle my
way into a phone interview with Andrew. Start thinking of Q's. (Of course,
I've already thought of "Are you SINGLE?!?!")

Shaun said:

<>

I'm charming my way to a copy of PS right now...as for Illustrator....

no.

<>

No matter how evil people think Bill Gates is, IE5 is a damn good browser!
Personally, my computer got pretty mad at me for using netscape for 2 years.

Joshua said:

<>

Awwwww. We're so happy to have you! Right guys? :)

As for my friends in NC....Durham is still dry, I read today that Raleigh
is sort of submerged. I wrote to my friend in Chapel Hill and to Kenny and
neither have responded. So they're either ignoring me or don't have
waterproof computers.

Did you know that eastern NC is the nation's largest producer of turkeys?
If I were you, I'd buy my thanksgiving bird now and put it in the freezer...

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 17:47:10 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt
Subject: BIG BIG BIG BIG NEWS

Ah! You've been waiting for the TV listings, haven't you?

Well since the school year is upon us (me), I have NO time to sift through
the listings on RockOnTv each week.

However, i am on their weekly mailin glist which gives a rundown of what
bands will be on tv each day. Lucky for us, i still check that list!

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 23
10 pm/ 2 am on TNN
"Ride With Bob"
The one-hour special documents the making of Asleep at the Wheel's tribute
album "Ride With Bob" which celebrates the work of legendary Western Swing
pioneer Bob Wills. The special features many generations of country music's
finest entertainers celebrating the legacy and spirit of Bob Wills and
interpreting classic Wills' music. Among the artists who join Ray Benson
and Asleep at the Wheel to perform on the album and appear in the special
are Tracy Byrd, Shawn Colvin, the Dixie Chicks, Vince Gill, Merle Haggard,
Lyle Lovett, Manhattan Transfer, Reba McEntire, Tim McGraw, Willie Nelson,
the SQUIRREL NUT ZIPPERS, Clay Walker, Don Walser, Steve Wariner, Lee Ann
Womack and Dwight Yoakam. Woven through the show will be historical footage
of Bob Wills performing. Guest stars also reminisce about Wills and the
influence of his music.

HOT DAMN!!

And duh...i read something about this a while ago. But the album is out! If
I wasn't late for work already, i'd tell you more. But here's the link to
the CD on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000JWOJ/theshrubberyezin

SNZ does "A Maiden's Prayer" on the disc. ROCK!

Also, the SNZ version of "before they were rock stars" is on VH1 at 11:30 pm.

Okay that's all. byebye.

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 16:38:21 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: Re: BIG BIG BIG BIG NEWS

The overview at tunes.com says:

"Merle Haggard delivers a wild falsetto version of 'St. Louis Blues' backed
by the Squirrel Nut Zippers' horns"

So SNZ are on Maiden's Prayer and St. Louis Blues!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 21:14:09 EDT
From: SNZfreak@aol.com
Subject: Thoughts about everything

In a message dated 9/20/99 1:09:36 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
kobyc@softhome.net writes:

<< The three CD stores to which I have access all charge the same price for
O!TG: $17.99. So the other day, I bit the bullet, walked in and bought it and
walked home and unwrapped it and WHOA... damn good CD. Damn good. I could say
more but that's why we have Jessica Brandt, right? My only comment is that
when I saw it on the rack at The Wall (it was with the SNZ CDs, btw, along
with Jz Sqd and KDS), the back of it with the cardboard on top made it look
like the packaging was some sort of *box*, not just a jewel case. Custom
packaging would have been awesome for this disque. Bird's writing style kicks
ass. >>

Lucky piece of trash (Not so much the piece of trash, but lucky!) I have been
going to the Wall since the DAY "Oh! The Grandeur" came out, and guess what.
NO BEANS! I mean, I hate the wall the way it is, they charge ludicrous prices
(I have always wanted to say ludicrous) for CDs that have been out forever! I
mean, I saw an old like, "Some Guy You Never Heard Of-Rocking to the voices
in my head" for like, $18.99. I was like....WOAH! That sucks big time. I
mean, I bought SNZ CD's there. I bought my KDS CD there.....only because the
other store didn't have either one I was looking for. So, to get it and for
$17.99, AND TO EVEN GET IT YOU ARE LUCKY! So, Im just gunna have to order it
from CDnow, as well as Stacy Guess.

Oh, and in response to whoever thought about the hurricane and the Zippers, I
must say I had the same thoughts when my power went out. I mean, I am in
inland Pennsylvania, and got a bad taste of it, but what about in NC. Thats
scary. I mean, physical damage, property damage, it could be devastating.
Hey, if there was any damage, IM FLYING DOWN THERE TO HELP THEM FIX IT if my
mom lets me. Who's with me?

Oh, and Jess. I saw you made a bid on the Live 7" with Hell and (You are my)
Radio on it. Well, guess who won it. ::Maniacal laughter:: Its me! ITS ME!
ITS THE G D-O-DOUBLE G. (If u know me, u know what it means).

Well, thats all for now.

                                                                    ~~G DoGg

Watcha gunna do when the 6 1/2 inch pythons come after you?
                    -Torch

P.S.

Anyone a PSU fan? That catch brought a tear to my eye.
CHAFIE FIELDS 4 HEISMAN!

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #218
*********************************

the-landing-digest    Wednesday, September 22 1999    Volume 02 : Number 219

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  new sounds                         ["Joshua Edwards" ]
  Re: A lurkers thoughts right now  ["Note: This message contains three char]
  Re: A lurkers thoughts right now      ["Ryan Sargent" ]

Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 08:47:35 PDT
From: "Joshua Edwards"
Subject: new sounds

My birthday came around last week, and of course I took full advantage of
the oppurtunity to get as many free cd's as I could. I got the KDS, the Jazz
Squad, Stacy Guess, and Roasted Right. This has been bugging me for so long
for the simple reason that I wouldn't buy any of them all summer because I
new I would get them for free now(being a poor college student of course).
And you know, the one that shocked me the most was the Stacy Guess "Legacy"
cd. I was mostly wanting it for the whole proceeds going to a scholarship
and what not. but then I started listening to it and it really is a damn
good cd. There of course are some that are just alright, but on the whole it
was damn good. I don't think I've ever heard anyone mention it on here so I
guess I'll be one of the first to my knowledge. GO BUY THAT CD! It's worth
it, and the money goes to a good cause. Not to downplay any of the other cds
I got, but you all know already how great those are.
Joshua

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 15:01:15 PDT
From: "Ryan Sargent"

>Listen to BOF on Amazon.com or CDNow. That's the best way to hear >the
>music.

If you go to www.tunes.com you can hear a sample of every song.

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #219
*********************************

the-landing-digest    Thursday, September 23 1999    Volume 02 : Number 220

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  Re: the-landing-digest V2 #219                         [TwoJoplins@aol.com]
  The Fez                             ["theresa mccart" ]
  Question number 2!                 [Shaun Smakal ]
  Re: Riddle me this, riddle me that....  ["Note: This message contains thre]
  WHAT THE %!@$*&                    [Shaun Smakal ]
  what have we done now?                  [Jessica Brandt ]

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 07:01:38 EDT
From: TwoJoplins@aol.com
Subject: Re: the-landing-digest V2 #219

DOES ANYONE LIVE IN THE NY AREA THAT CAN GIVE ME INFO ON THE FEZ?
HEEEEEEEEELP!

PHIL

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 12:39:56 -0400
From: "theresa mccart"
Subject: The Fez

Phil, perhaps you should call the Fez. That's the best way to get
information on a joint.  Is it a popular place?  Perhaps they have a web
site.

Theresa.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 99 12:55:29 -0800 (PST)
From: Shaun Smakal
Subject: Question number 2!

Still no answers yet!  Here's the question again just incase you missed it the last time.

What two cars do we know Jimbo has driven?
Here's an example of a wrong answer:  An Expedition and a Camaro.

later,
Shaun

==

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 23:35:27 GMT
From: "Note: This message contains three characters and one crackpot idea."
Subject: Re: Riddle me this, riddle me that....

On Sun, 19 Sep 99 13:36:10 -0800 (PST), you wrote:
>Do any of you find it odd that I can't download Netscape Navigator because of some error in my Internet Explorer browser?  Tried it twice now and i still get a Microsoft java error...

Try disabling Javascript. And download from a different site, like tucows or download.com.

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 99 19:38:7 -0800 (PST)
From: Shaun Smakal
Subject: WHAT THE %!@$*&

Why in the hell is Ken selling his golden record?!?  Can y'all say, "BAD NEWS!!"

if you haven't figured it out by now, im the resident pessimist,
Shaun

==
Impetus  (im'pa-tas) [L. impetere-attack] n. an impulse; a stimulus

You're great...pour moi au poop en fonction!

the-landing-digest     Friday, September 24 1999     Volume 02 : Number 221

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  DARN!!!  New BOF article!!!!   ["Daniel  Summers " ]
  Re: what have we done now?          ["theresa mccart" ]
  Off Topic:  Elina's Bjork           ["theresa mccart" ]
  Re: the-landing-digest V2 #220                           [SNZfreak@aol.com]

Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 06:00:14 PDT
From: "Daniel  Summers "
Subject: DARN!!!  New BOF article!!!!

Hello again!
  First of all, I;m not saying DARN to the fact that I found a virtually
unknown of BOF article, I'm saying DARN to the fact that someone BEAT ME TO
ANNOUNCING THE NEWS OF THE snz SONG on the ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL CD!!!!  I
hadn't heard anyone mention it, and the other day I bought a magazine I have
NEVER heard of before ("No Depression") which is an "alternative country"
magazine, and while flipping through it, I saw a full page advertisement for
the album, and almost flipped out with joy!  I was going to be all proud of
myself for being the 1st to post this wonderful news, but now I'm all
depressed.  Well, not really (I don't get depressed THAT easily!).
  NOW about the BOF article, I hope I can be the first to announce this!!
In this same issue of this same magazine, there is a well-written 2 page
article on BOF.  Now tell me, what is BOF doing in an Alternative COuntry
magazine????  And before anyone asks what was I doing BUYING an alternative
country magazine, I'll explain that one of my favorite artists was on the
front cover--That's the only reason I bought it, but I was very pleasantly
surprised that I found a BOF article and news on SNZ!!!  I'm not a big fan
of much country but there is a LITTLE bit out there that is good.
  There's also a good picture of BOF, too!
  This Asleep at the Wheel CD is on the DreamWorks label, too, which I think
is pretty cool, because RUFUS WAINWRIGHT is on this label, and RUFUS
WAINWRIGHT kicks major butt!!!!  Anyone else here heard him before?  any
other fans?  I hope so, because his music is so beautiful and amazing!!!
His music style and writing style reminds me a little bit of Gershwin and
Cole Porter.  Amazing CD, go out an buy it!!!
  Thanks to all who answered my questions on BOF!!  After all the discussion
on this list, and after this article in "no depression", I am going to buy
Oh, the Grandeur as soon as possible!!!!  I don't think I can possibly be
dissapointed after all the good stuff I've heard, and just the fact that
Andrew plays his violin often on the CD's is enough to send me into
convulsions!!!  (GOOD convulsions of course!!!)  What can I say, the violin
MOVES ME!!!
  I'll let you all know what I think of the BOF album when I finally get it,
since you have all been apart of my "awakening" to BOF.  Of course, I'll
have to wait until I get money (Because I'm poor and in college)

Sincerely,
and with all the SNZ affection I can muster;

Daniel J. Summers

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 10:55:12 -0400
From: "theresa mccart"
Subject: Re: DARN!!!  New BOF article!!!!

Dear Daniel,

I can honesty say that I've never heard of that alternative country
magazine. Is it an independent publication or is it done by one of the major
houses? I hoard magazines and buy almost everything and the only thing that
I've ever seen of BOF is an advertisement that was featured in a Rolling
Stone magazine (what a sexist magazine) in the back pages for Thrills.

About Rufus Wainwright, his voice makes me cry. It's so pretty!  Have you
ever heard his and the McGarrigles and Loudon Wainwright's version of
"What'll I Do?" (Irving Berlin (sp))?  Actually, I do cry when I hear that
song it's soooo pretty.  Rufus certainly is a good looker.  I love his hair.
His sister Martha has a very pretty voice too.  Jesus, what a talented
family!  Kate and Anna McGarrigle are too funny in interviews. I also love
Rufus' wardrobe.

If you feel poverty stricken lately, check out Ebay!  There is a one cent cd
company auctioning off Bowl of Fire cds.  I think one of them is now at 34
cents.  Also, I can't stress this enough, go check out Canadian music sites
on the web.  Our dollar is so shitty compared to the American dollar that
you will be able to get one of the Bowl of Fire cds for ten dollars
American.

Theresa.

Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 10:57:01 -0400
From: "theresa mccart"
Subject: Re: what have we done now?

Jess, do you know why Ken is putting this up on the auction block?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 11:12:38 -0400
From: "theresa mccart"
Subject: Off Topic:  Elina's Bjork

Elina, I remember about a month ago you sent a post saying that you were
just getting into Bjork.  Are you still listening to her?

Well, if yes,  go out and buy Homogenic!!!  I haven't listened to my copy in
about a year and am at this moment re-realizing the amazingness behind this
cd. It's very apocalyptic in a pixieish sort of way. It kind of reminds me
of a novel by William Horwood.

Hot stuff! Check it out.

Theresa.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 15:02:07 EDT
From: SNZfreak@aol.com
Subject: Re: the-landing-digest V2 #220

<< but here's something: they give those gold records out like candy. however,
 there IS only one with kenny's name on it. >>

I was thinking the same thing. I want that record badly, but as for me, I DO
need a car next year......ah well. The mic would be awesome too.....

~~G~~

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #221
*********************************

the-landing-digest    Saturday, September 25 1999    Volume 02 : Number 222

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  Re: the-landing-digest V2 #221                         [TwoJoplins@aol.com]
  Re: the-landing-digest V2 #221      ["theresa mccart" ]
  Bob Wills                     [edward eichelberger ]
  Re: the-landing-digest V2 #221                          [Sambone67@aol.com]
  Re: Thoughts about everything  ["Note: This message contains three charact]
  Re: the-landing-digest V2 #221    ["Sam ???" ]
  Off Topic:  Sammy's Portishead  [edward eichelberger ]

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 06:59:42 EDT
From: TwoJoplins@aol.com
Subject: Re: the-landing-digest V2 #221

Is it me, or does anyone else see a little similarity between Rufus' voice
and Andrew's voice?
At times, especially on OH! the GRANDEUR, Andrews voice does some great
little growls and muffled wails that remind of me Rufus.
Maybe im nuts, who knows...
whatever the case is, they are both great musicians... I hope to see a
Wainwright CD out soon.
Phil

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 13:18:30 -0400
From: "theresa mccart"

Rufus and Andrew are the same in that they both have extremely theatrical
voices.  I find Rufus' more high pitched and has a much more broader range.
Rufus is much more Cabaretish.  Wow,  I can totally see him playing The
Emcee in the Broadway production.

Did anybody watch that Bob Wills thing on TNN last night?  I stayed up till
3am to watch it.  Bob Wills totally cracks me up.  I love how he would tuck
his dress pants into his cowboy boots.  It became him!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 12:20:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: edward eichelberger
Subject: Bob Wills

  I caught the Bob Wills show last night.  I sat there
alone for forty-five minutes waithing for the SNZ
segment and just as it's about to come (during the
Merle Haggard segment) my girlfriend comes in and
wants me to help her hang a plant in the living room.
What's with women?
  Speaking of whom Andrew Bird's singing reminds us
of, there are certain times when his singing reminds
me of Danny Elfman.  I can't say why exaclty.  When I
went back and listened to my old Oingo Boingo tapes I
couldn't figure out why I thought that.  Has any one
else thought that about Andrew Bird?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 16:04:25 EDT
From: Sambone67@aol.com

love no depression love the song it comes from[uncle tupelo]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 22:20:28 GMT
From: "Note: This message contains three characters and one crackpot idea."
Subject: Re: Thoughts about everything

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999 21:14:09 EDT, you wrote:

>Oh, and in response to whoever thought about the hurricane and the Zippers, I
>must say I had the same thoughts when my power went out. I mean, I am in
>inland Pennsylvania, and got a bad taste of it, but what about in NC. Thats
>scary. I mean, physical damage, property damage, it could be devastating.
>Hey, if there was any damage, IM FLYING DOWN THERE TO HELP THEM FIX IT if my
>mom lets me. Who's with me?

Hehe... that's just what they need! :)

>Oh, and Jess. I saw you made a bid on the Live 7" with Hell and (You are my)
>Radio on it. Well, guess who won it. ::Maniacal laughter:: Its me! ITS ME!
>ITS THE G D-O-DOUBLE G. (If u know me, u know what it means).

You know... I wouldn't smack you across the face if you made a digital MP3 recording of the music on that live record... theriithly.

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 20:05:48 PDT
From: "Sam ???"

this is also off topic, but i thought someone might be interested.  if you
like bjork, i was just wondering if anyone was into portishead.  i really
enjoy the music, and i think y'all would too :)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 20:43:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: edward eichelberger
Subject: Off Topic:  Sammy's Portishead

  I like Portishead, but I'm not crazy about Bjork.
Portishead isn't even the kind of music I normally
listen to, but I discovered them on the Tank Girl
soundtrack.  A lousy movie, but an awesome soundtrack.
 As a matter of fact, Bjork's on there too.
  My old boss liked a group that reminded me of
Portishead.  Have you ever heard of Hooverphonics?  He
also liked Sneaker Pimps.  Remember them?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 20:48:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: edward eichelberger
Subject: unanswered questions

  What ever happened with the lawsuit?  I was
following it pretty closely, when all of a sudden it
was over-shadowed by Tom leaving the band, which is
mysterious in itself.  In his statement,he alluded to
wanting to keep the public's opinion of SNZ positive.
Is it my imagination, or is he telling us it's not all
harmony and rose petals?  Then that was over-shadowed
by BOF's album and now Ken is selling the gold record.
 Does anyone have any insight as to what is going on?

End of the-landing-digest V2 #222