Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 02:37:16 -0800
From: Dig that crazy chick
Subject: Swingtime

swingtime is in fact bi-monthly, starting with the December issue with
the drawing of Royal Crown Revue on the cover, by the ever-so-talented
Fritz. The staff (dubbed The Wrecking Crew) has kicked into high gear
and now there are a few more writers. Including L.A.'s own Miss Toni
Czechorosky (who happened to have her photo snapped dancing at the Derby
for the US Magazine article on swing last year!).

~Courtney
The Sultraness of Swing
"Who do you think you are? Angelyne?"
- --
*************
ICQ: 24901402
AOL IM: CourtSpork
Laugh until you wet yourself; read The Shrubbery.
http://www.theshrubbery.prohosting.com
Listen to my radio show, "Swing and the Single Girl" every Tuesday night
from 12-4am PST live in Real Audio at http://kscr.usc.edu.
*************

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 14:24:04 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt
Subject: More on Swingtime

The Zippers have been approached by Michael Moss to do an interview for
Swingtime but they haven't given in to him yet. They're still a little
leary of this whole "swing" issue and aren't sure if it would be the right
thing for them to be in such a magazine. i mean, they can't even shake the
swing thing when they appear in SPIN magazine. Imagine how it'd look if the
graced the cover of this publication.

So for now, the Zips have been avoiding Moss "like the plague" until they
can figure out if they want to be in that magazine or not. I agree with
their thinking, personally, and don't blame them for not wanting to be in
there. I'm a little divided on the whole Pentium Commercial issue...I mean,
when Spiritualized was in that Volkswagen commerical, I gave my brother a
whole bunch of shit and said that they "sold out"....Hmmm....you never know
what to think until it happens to you, i guess ;)

Also, I haven't seen Blast from the Past yet (why?!?! WHY!?!) but i know
that "trou Macacq" is featured in the whole swing dancing section of the
movie. Which is funny, cuz it's a calypso song...but I digress. The point
is, the Zippers feel a little funny about that too.

Me and Emily are going to see the Dirty Dozen tonight. She wanted me to
tell you all that. So now you know.

Jess
          *      --+-READ THE SHRUBBERY-+--        *
          http://www.theshrubbery.prohosting.com
     --New Every Month- -Humor, Music, News and More--

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 20:51:53 -0500
From: bob pigeon
Subject: Re: More on Swingtime

>I'm a little divided on the whole Pentium Commercial issue...I mean,
>when Spiritualized was in that Volkswagen commerical, I gave my brother a
>whole bunch of shit and said that they "sold out"....Hmmm....you never know
>what to think until it happens to you, i guess ;)

i think it would be different if the snz wrote a song called "Mmmm Pentium
Chip!" for the commercial, but all they really did was make some money off
the song...it's not really selling out if they didn't compromise their
artistic integrity
right?

"I honestly did not see your penis"
		-- Cara Monaco

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 21:56:33 -0500
From: Dishon Gerald Robert
Subject: Re: Je lip-synching

Which would explain the fact that, during the trumpet solo, Je is
watching the horn play itself.  Cool!

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 00:15:29 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt
Subject: Swingtime ... er

Hey I was just informed by the same person who informed me that SNZ was NOT
in swingtime that they are INDEED in swingtime this month. The Big Six from
London are on the cover and there's mention of the SNZ interview (with tom)
on the cover as well.

Ahhhh....i knew i shoulda gone to check it out.

Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 01:50:35 EST
From: ProfPlum97@aol.com
Subject: Re: Swingtime ... er

Then there is how my mother was misled..

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #31
********************************

the-landing-digest      Monday, February 22 1999      Volume 02 : Number 032

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  Re: the-landing-digest V2 #31        [Dig that crazy chick ]
  Re: the-landing-digest V2 #31     [bob pigeon ]
  Imperial Swing Orchestra                   [Chris Etzel ]

Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 02:08:39 -0800
From: Dig that crazy chick
Subject: Re: the-landing-digest V2 #31

> So for now, the Zips have been avoiding Moss "like the plague" until
> they
> can figure out if they want to be in that magazine or not.

Well, even though they did do the interview, I know I'd avoid him.errr.
he makes me want to throw things. and i think he only owns like 3 suits.
Sorry about the whole SNZ cover mix-up too. i didn't buy this month's
issue because I'm not all that fond of the Bix Six and didn't give it
much of a perusal at the newsstand.

> Also, I haven't seen Blast from the Past yet (why?!?! WHY!?!) but i
> know
> that "trou Macacq" is featured in the whole swing dancing section of
> the
> movie. Which is funny, cuz it's a calypso song...but I digress.

Don't waste you money!! Aside from being willing to kill for Sissy
Spacek's entire kitchen, I thought it was terrible. and REALLY bad
dancing. what was that? it was like spastic ECS with random kicks thrown
in.

Well, now i must get back to cataloging KSCR's entire CD library into my
computer. I should be paid for this.

~Courtney
The Sultraness of Swing
"Single malt?"
"Aged 18 years... just how I like 'em."
- --
*************

Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 16:19:51 -0500
From: bob pigeon

>Don't waste you money!! Aside from being willing to kill for Sissy
>Spacek's entire kitchen, I thought it was terrible. and REALLY bad
>dancing. what was that? it was like spastic ECS with random kicks thrown
>in.

i must be jay sherman, because i knew well enough to stay away without
having to spend eight dollars

"if you stop going to bad movies, they'll stop making bad movies"

remember?

Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 23:35:00 +0000
From: Chris Etzel
Subject: Imperial Swing Orchestra

Anyone out there have any info on a CD from the "Imperial Swing
Orchestra"? Here's the description from Hepcat:

"A 10 piece outfit with a female vocalist. Influences include Cab
Calloway, Billy Holiday, and Benny Goodman as well as 40's Jump Blues.
Produced by Mike Napolitano (Squirrel Nut Zippers)."

I'm intriqued, in part because of Napolitano's involvement. Has anyone
heard any of this band's work live or recorded?

Thanks,
Chris

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #32
********************************

the-landing-digest     Tuesday, February 23 1999     Volume 02 : Number 033

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  SNZ webcast                          [Dig that crazy chick ]
  Michigan!?!              ["SHAUN SMAKAL" ]
  TV For Feb 22-28                        [Jessica Brandt ]

Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 02:38:21 -0800
From: Dig that crazy chick
Subject: SNZ webcast

i happened to be trolling around liveconcerts.com this evening and found
that SNZ and Big Rude Jake (found on this month's CMJ sampler) will be
doing a live webcast on sunday March 14th. and my internet connection is
being slow and bitchy so i can't find a start time, so as the date grows
closer, you may want to check back at thier site at
http://www.liveconcerts.com. SNZ also have an archived session on KCRW's
Morning Becomes Eclectic (quite possibly the BEST radio show in the
universe, next to mine of course) under the In Studio archive.

right now i'm enjoying to Neil Finn's MBE from august. they've got
scores of others including Beck, Ben Folds Five, Rufus Wainwright, Davíd
Garza, Ben Lee, Leonard Cohen, Dmitri From Paris, Komeda, Morphine.. oh
hell, everything on there is good. except for that freak occurence with
Third Eye Blind. i can't imagine Nick Harcourt was happy with that.

anyhoo, yes. go about your business.

~Courtney
The Sultraness of Swing
'Eew, why is Courtney Love on the Wheaties box?"
"I thought that was Sandy Duncan."
- --
*************

Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 13:20:56 +0000
From: "SHAUN SMAKAL"
Subject: Michigan!?!

Any one from Michigan on this list?  I know that there's at least one
other zipper fan here because I saw a SNZ bmpr stckr in Lansing two
weeks ago (that and there was a lot more people at Cargo's in Oct.
than I expected).  If there is...  whacha doin'?

Shaun

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 17:56:45 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt
Subject: TV For Feb 22-28

Hey sorry i was a little late this week. I can barely sit upright...

But anyway, BRAVO is running a "jazz masters" profiles week, so there's
some good stuff on that. Plus, there's the Grammy's. It'll be interesting
to see what "swing" acts get awards, if any. I believe that the only band
up for anything is Brian Setzer, which is good, cuz he's been at it a long
time. And he's CUTE. *ahem*

So anyway, ***** is "pick to click" check your local listings, all times
eastern, and consult www.rockontv.com for updates!

MONDAY FEB 22
10 pm on BRVAO (profiles) Little Jimmy Scott, with Lionel Hampton and others
12 am on VH1 (grammy review) Will show "Jump Jive & Wail" video
1:30 am on BRVAO (Profiles) Little Jimmy scott

TUESDAY FEB 23
6 am on BRAVO (profiles) Little Jimmy Scott
1 pm on VHI (grammy pop up videos) Will pop up "Jump Jive & Wail"
3 pm on BRAVO (profiles) Little Jimmy Scott
6:30 on VH1 (grammy pop up videos) "Jump Jive &wail"
7 pm on VH1 (grammy review) Will show "jump Jive & wail"
10 pm on BRAVO (Profiles) Charlie parker, only authorized documentary, with
	his only TV appearance, also with Dizzy *****
1:30 am on BRAVO (profiles) Charlie Parker *****

WEDNESDAY FEB 24
6 am on BRAVO (profiles) Charlie Parker*****
11:30 am on VH1 (grammy review) "Jump Jive & Wail"
3 pm on BRAVO (profiles) Charlie parker*****
8 pm on CBS (grammy awards) Performing is Wynton Marsalis' Jazz Orchestra,
presenting is Brian Setzer (rowl) *****
10 pm on BRAVO (profiles) Ray Charles, interview with Dizzy
1:30 am on BRAVO (profiles) Ray Charles, interview w/ Dizzy

THURSDAY FEB 25
6 am on BRAVO (profiles) Ray Charles, interview w/dizzy
3 pm on BRAVO (profiles) ray charles
10 pm on BRAVO (profiles) Wynton Marsalis, some segments taped in New
Orleans, interviews with some of Marsalis family and other jazz 	artists
11 pm on BET (BET Tonight) "A look at jazz" w/gues Herbie Hancock*****
1:30 am on BRAVO (profiles) Wynton Marsalis

FRIDAY FEB 26
3 pm on BRAV (profiles) wynton marsalis
10 pm on BRAVO (profiles) Thelonius Monk *****
1:30 am on BRAVO (profiles) Thelonius Monk *****

SATURDAY FEB 27
wow...nothing. You should just stay in bed.

SUNDAY FEB 28
10:45 am on TBS (The Blues Brothers) The BAND, man! *****

COMING UP: SNZ ON HARD ROCK LIVE (3/6) *****

          *      --+-READ THE SHRUBBERY-+--        *
          http://www.theshrubbery.prohosting.com
     --New Every Month- -Humor, Music, News and More--

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #33
********************************

the-landing-digest    Wednesday, February 24 1999    Volume 02 : Number 034

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  Re: live concerts                       [Jessica Brandt ]
  Re: live concerts                     ["Ryan Sargent" ]
  Re: SNZ webcast                   [bob pigeon ]

Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 04:31:04 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt
Subject: Re: live concerts

Wow, Cort-nay comes through with big news for us!

The start time is 9:30 EST, 6:30 PST and 2:30 GMT (which is really ALL THE
SAME TIME) :) That's sunday March 14

This is NOT a new live performance. The site says it's from the S. Carolina
HOB performance on 12/11/98. Actually, i believe Ryan was there...weren't
you Ryan?

Anyone here...i am BEGGING you...if anyone can tape a webcast, PLEASE do.
if you can, please mail me pronto, as well.

I will remind the list before March 14 that the webcast will be on, but I
suggest to everyone that they go to the site (www.liveconcerts.com)and go
down to where it says "upcoming events", find the SNZ events, and then
submit your email address to the site, and they will send you a nice
reminder 24 hours in advance. You can also get ready by downloading the
correct player and such.

If ya like, the Cherry Poppin Daddies will be on this friday, along with
those darlings of 2nd wave ska, The Specials.

Oh, also, I will be setting up a chat room for everyone to come and chat
while we listen to the webcast on March 14. Sound fun? i hope everyone will
be able to make it!

Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 12:18:42 PST
From: "Ryan Sargent"

That HOB south carolina show was great!!!! Hobex opened for them, and
Tom, Ken, Je, & Jim came out to do horns for a song. I can't wait to
listen to it...now that I have a visual.

NOTE: There was this drunk guy and his wife at the show standing next to
me. And I over heard him saying "Yeah, James came in for a check-up the
other day...and i'm going backstage after the show 'till one in the
morning!". I didn't believe him, but after the show when I was getting
jim's autograph I saw him and his wife getting on the tour bus with
Katharine. And when they left it must have been 2:00am. I was
shocked!!!! So if you hear some drunk guy in the crowd yelling "Play put
a lid on it" its him.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 17:50:10 -0500
From: bob pigeon
Subject: Re: SNZ webcast

>SNZ also have an archived session on KCRW's
>Morning Becomes Eclectic (quite possibly the BEST radio show in the
>universe, next to mine of course) under the In Studio archive.
>
>right now i'm enjoying to Neil Finn's MBE from august. they've got
>scores of others including Beck, Ben Folds Five, Rufus Wainwright, Davíd
>Garza, Ben Lee, Leonard Cohen, Dmitri From Paris, Komeda, Morphine..

where can we find all these great things???

"I honestly did not see your penis"
		-- Cara Monaco

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #34
********************************

the-landing-digest     Thursday, February 25 1999     Volume 02 : Number 035

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  liveconcerts.com                     [Dig that crazy chick ]
  official news                           [Jessica Brandt ]
  Re:  snz webcast                                        [ElinaMalk@aol.com]
  lots o' stuff                                           [ElinaMalk@aol.com]

Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 05:24:54 -0800
From: Dig that crazy chick
Subject: liveconcerts.com

> >SNZ also have an archived session on KCRW's
> >Morning Becomes Eclectic (quite possibly the BEST radio show in the
> >universe, next to mine of course) under the In Studio archive.
> >
> >right now i'm enjoying to Neil Finn's MBE from august. they've got
> >scores of others including Beck, Ben Folds Five, Rufus Wainwright,
> Davíd
> >Garza, Ben Lee, Leonard Cohen, Dmitri From Paris, Komeda, Morphine..
>
> where can we find all these great things???

erm... i thought i made it clear that they could also be found at
liveconcerts.com, but i guess not. anyhow, go to
http://www.liveconcerts.com and look under In Studio in their archives.

did anyone listen to my show?

i thought not.

sorry, i'm just exceptionally crabby after waiting for an hour
(specifically the hour that falls between 4 and 5am) for a ride home
from the station. grrrrr.

~Courtney
The Sultraness of Swing
"This is not weird. Gay republicans are weird."

> "I honestly did not see your penis"
>                 -- Cara Monaco
>
> ------------------------------
>
> End of the-landing-digest V2 #34
> ********************************

- --
*************

Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 16:28:13 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt
Subject: official news

Hey this was sent out today. I don't know how many of you got it, but i'll
post it here:

Hey Squirrel Nut Zippers fans!

Mammoth Records is proud to announce the upcoming release of LEGACY,
the Stacy Guess tribute album to be released March 23, 1999.

Many fans may recall that Stacy was the trumpeter for the Zippers on
The Inevitable and he played with the band until his departure in
1996.

Stacy played with many other locally and nationally acclaimed bands
(The Pressure Boys, Sex Police, SOMA, and Venus Flytrap Girls).
 Unfortunately, Stacy passed away in March 1998 so Mammoth decided to
release an album that compiled tracks from his short career.  The two
Squirrel Nut Zippers tracks included were previously only available on
the Kell 7" and the Limited Edition Sold Out EP.

As a memorial to Stacy, an annual
scholarship has been established to benefit a young musician at Chapel
Hill High
School, Stacy's alma mater.   All of the proceeds from this CD
will go toward the Stacy Guess Outstanding Musician Scholarship to
encourage other young musicians,
who, like Stacy, know the joy of making music.

Please check out the Mammoth site in coming weeks for more information
about the release fo the record as well as how you can contribute to
the scholarship.
www.mammoth.com

Thanks.
- --Mammoth Records

Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 22:34:35 EST
From: ElinaMalk@aol.com

is that 9:30 AM or PM?  I don't want to wake up early for nothing.
- -elina

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 22:25:43 EST
From: ElinaMalk@aol.com
Subject: lots o' stuff

hey, guess what.  Ziggy Ellman was my grandmoters cousin.  That means I'm
related to him.  And even if none of us waste our money on seeing blast from
the past the zippers still get payed for their songs.  And does anyone know if
the Dancehall crashers are any good?  Theyre coming to philly and i might go.
And i get to see they might be giants in a week.  Life is good.
- -elina

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #35
********************************

the-landing-digest      Friday, February 26 1999      Volume 02 : Number 036

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  Re: the-landing-digest V2 #35              [Chris Etzel ]
  Grammy                        [Jacob A Storbeck ]
  Re: Grammy                                              [CHAMICLOV@aol.com]
  Re: liveconcerts.com              [bob pigeon ]
  GRAMMY.                               ["Ryan Sargent" ]

Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 10:45:07 +0000
From: Chris Etzel
Subject: Re: the-landing-digest V2 #35

<>

I like `em. Think they're very good. Was sure their last album was gonna
get some national airplay. Am still suprised it didn't. Speaks volumes
about radio these days, I suppose. Ahywho...go see them, even if you
have to get out of bed early to do it!

Chris
P.S. They're pop/ska and somewhat unique in that genra in that they have
two female vocalists whose singing in harmoney will amaze you.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 09:33:36 -0600
From: Jacob A Storbeck
Subject: Grammy

Hey the Grammy's had some good stuff last night.
The Duke Ellington tribute was nice and Alright  Brian Setzer.  Let's
discuss this.
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 15:46:20 EST
From: CHAMICLOV@aol.com
Subject: Re: Grammy

yeah, the duke ellington tribute was very nice, and the wynton marsalis
orchestra was awesome! but who was brian setzer's date? was that the woman
from the b-52's???!!?!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 17:06:19 -0500
From: bob pigeon
Subject: Re: liveconcerts.com

>erm... i thought i made it clear that they could also be found at
>liveconcerts.com, but i guess not. anyhow, go to
>http://www.liveconcerts.com and look under In Studio in their archives.

ooops, sorry, i thought MBE was archived separately
my bad
:)

Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 18:11:30 PST
From: "Ryan Sargent"

I am really mad because I forgot about the grammy awards. Then I heard
there was a Duke Ellington tribute, Wynton Marsalis, and BB King and
Eric Clapton doing a song together...now i'm depressed.A for
Wynton...i'm not a big fan of Bop, but I love watching good trumpets
play. Can someone tell me what the BB & Eric thing was like???? I really
wanted to see that. And then there is Brian Setzer. I don't like him at
all. Mainly because he RUINED Prima's song "Jump jive 'n wail". I also
listened to his CD once at boarders and didn't like it at all.

NOTE: That Ray profile on bravo was sweet. I don't know about you guys,
but my public t.v. stations always have some really old jazz stuff on.
I've seen a Ellington movie, and Dizzy profile. Dizzy is a trip! At one
point in the interview he was smiling and then looked up with a blank
look on his face, looked at his watch and said "I gotta get home to my
wife" and then just left the interview.

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #36
********************************

the-landing-digest     Saturday, February 27 1999     Volume 02 : Number 037

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  PBS                           [Jacob A Storbeck ]
  Zippers on PBS                 [Daniel Jarvis ]
  History                                                [Emaline555@aol.com]
  PBS.                                  ["Ryan Sargent" ]
  Re: GRAMMY.                       [bob pigeon ]
  JE (?)                                ["Ryan Sargent" ]

Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 07:47:32 -0600
From: Jacob A Storbeck
Subject: PBS

On PBS they keep showing commercials of the zippers, with suits playing
in the backround saying "Coming in March" like there doing a televised
concert or something.  Have any of ya'll seen that?
Looks cool.

Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 09:49:16 -0500
From: Daniel Jarvis
Subject: Zippers on PBS

Yes! The Zippers are going to be on PBS! I went to the
PBS site to make sure, and sure enough, it's coming up soon. The concert
was recorded in Denver, 1997. The article said they'd be doing stuff from
The Inevitable, Hot, and Perenial Favorites. I'm happy! I must definately
program the VCR!
To find out when it'll be playing in your area, go to www.pbs.org, go to
search and search for "Squirrel Nut Zippers Live." It has an area where you
can check you local listings at the bottom of the article.

Keep Jivin'!
Daniel Jarvis

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 15:34:08 EST
From: Emaline555@aol.com
Subject: History

Today was so cool.....

I'm in this tough AP U.S. History course at school, and we've been working
hard all week.  But today, a guy named Karl Knopp came in and gave us a swing
dancing lesson...seeing as how we are studying the 1930's and all.  :)   Well,
this guy was cool....he is friends with and has worked with Frankie Manning
(who has worked with Duke Ellington, Cab Calloway, Count Basie), etc...and
Norma, the Queen of Swing.  It was really fun...a definite change from the
rigors of daily work.  Well anyway, this really doesn't have much to do with
SNZ, but at least they were influenced from music around that time period.
Wurd up.

Oh, and Jess and I saw the Dirty Dozen last weekend. They rocked....they got
the (rather static) crowd up on their feet and they gave us a good time.  We
had some real funny people sitting next to us. ("Yeah, yeah!")  It was cool.
And i got to park without paying $5.00...i've learned how to beat the system!
I'm so illegal...

Later Ya'll
Emily

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 12:44:46 PST
From: "Ryan Sargent"

My PBS isn't putting on the "Squirrel Nut Zippers Live" thing. Not on
the 9th or the 13th!! I guess I will have to start calling all of my out
of state family (every day if needed) and make sure they remember to
tape the whole thing. I can't believe Maryland would do such a thing!!
And it's an HOUR long...i'm moving!!!!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 17:52:22 -0500
From: bob pigeon

>Can someone tell me what the BB & Eric thing was like????

i don't like that kind of blues
bb and clapton should've come out with acoustic guitars and did a robert
johnson song or something...
haha

>I really
>wanted to see that. And then there is Brian Setzer. I don't like him at
>all. Mainly because he RUINED Prima's song "Jump jive 'n wail". I also
>listened to his CD once at boarders and didn't like it at all.

i think the stray cats are great
not too familiar with the bso
jump jive an wail isn't too bad
but it ain't no prima

some of my friends have seen him in concert a few times and they say he's good

Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 18:41:09 PST
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: JE (?)

I was talking to Bryon Settle, the guy who used to play guitar for the
Pressure Boys (the band that Stacy guess & Je Widenhouse used to be in)
and he said that J.W. didn't go by the name Je until the Zippers. And he
also said he used to live with Stacy and Je at one point.

(I need CHICKEN WIRE GANG info.)

End of the-landing-digest V2 #37