Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 15:47:05 PST
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: HARD ROCK- HELL!!!

Well, I saw the Hard Rock Live thing last night for the first time. It
was weird to see Je dance(?)on stage, i've only seen him do that once
before(when he danced around the stage with Kat). Tom & Jim were going
off at the end off HELL!!!! And normally, Katharine was looking mighty
fine.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 19:32:16 -0500
From: Matt Fisken
Subject: Re: HARD ROCK- HELL!!!

Hey all!

I recorded the show last night, and made some mp3s of the tracks I'm
thinking of setting up a Squirrel Nut Zippers mp3 server on Hotline. I'm
still deciding what i'm going to put on it, but it should be up in a
couple of days. The address is 134.181.67.63.

I'd like to put up a full collection of the Zippers' material, but i fear
that would be both illegal and it would take away from the bands revenues
if i posted all of their music. My hope is that whatever i do, it will
allow fans to both hear rare Zippers recordings, as well as sample their
albums with the idea that if they like what they hear, they will support
the band by buying the album.

I'd love any input or ideas on this. Thanks.

Matt

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 19:49:09 PST
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: Nicknames

I remember reading somewhere that one of Je's nicknames was Frep or
Freep, I don't remember which though. And on the hard rock live thing it
sounds like tom say's "Go Freep!!" right before Je's solo on Hell. Has
anybody else heard that????

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 23:45:57 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt
Subject: TV for march 8-14

Rockontv.com is crazy. Usually they don't have listings up till 2 or 3 AM.
then sometimes they give it to me as early as 11 pm. Wowee.

Anyway, The only thing worth watching this week, really, is the "Bird"
movie if you have Cinemax and a replay of SNZ on hard Rock Live (thurs 12
am) if any of you knuckleheads missed it.

Also, don't forget next Sunday March 14th at 9:30 EST (6:30 PST) we're
having a big ol' SNZ chat while we listen to the live concert from House of
Blues. More on that coming up.

So, like usual, all times eastern, ***** is "pick to click" and all q's go
to www.rockontv.com

MONDAY MARCH 8
5 am on SHOWTIME (Swingers) you know, that movie. With BBVD.

TUESDAY MARCH 9
Nothing zipperiffic...did you know it was Hip Hop week on MTV? Aww yeeeaah

WEDNESDAY MARCH 10
8 pm on PBS (check listings) (Puerto Rican Story) About Puerto Rican life
in 	America, with Tito Puente among others
8 pm on TNN (musical outlaws) Not really related, but it's about Johnny
Cash, Waylon jennings, willie nelson, and kris kristofferson.

THURSDAY MARCH 11
?? in Syndication (Donnie and Marie) BR%-49 performs. They kick ass.
8 pm on PBS (check listings) (Itzhak Perlman) All about the famous
violinist, and of particular interest to y'all will be his 	experiments
with Ragtime and Klezmer music.
12 am on MTV (1998 music awards) Brian Setzer Orch. performs (repeat)
12 am on VH1 (hard rock live) SQUIRREL NUT ZIPPERS***** *****

FRIDAY MARCH 12
8 am on MTV (1998 awards) same as above
3:30 am on CINEMAX (bird) Movie about Charlie PArker *****

SATURDAY MARCH 13
8 pm on E! (profile) Dean Martin

SUNDAY MARCH 14
9:30 pm EST/6:30 pm PST CHAT WITH OTHER MEMBERS OF THE LANDING. LIVE
ZIPPERS CONCERT FROM LIVECONCERT.COM FREE FOOD!

          *      --+-READ THE SHRUBBERY-+--        *
          http://www.theshrubbery.prohosting.com
     --New Every Month- -Humor, Music, News and More--

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #45
********************************

the-landing-digest        Monday, March 8 1999        Volume 02 : Number 045

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  HARD ROCK- HELL!!!                    ["Ryan Sargent" ]
  Re: HARD ROCK- HELL!!!                    [Matt Fisken ]
  Nicknames                             ["Ryan Sargent" ]
  TV for march 8-14                       [Jessica Brandt ]

Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 23:45:57 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt

[...]

the-landing-digest      Wednesday, March 10 1999      Volume 02 : Number 047

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  more immortal                           [Jessica Brandt ]
  RE: T.V.                    ["Kunkel, Robert G" ]
  JAS. M.                               ["Ryan Sargent" ]

Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 04:25:31 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt
Subject: more immortal

>From what i've gathered, this Immortal soundtrack is on Permanent Records.
Here's the vitals for that company if you'd like to write for a catalog or
something:

Permanent Records, P.O. Box 628, Chapel Hill, NC 27514, USA, ph: (919)
932-3512, fax: (919) 932-3512

And please guys let me know if i'm wrong and that is not the label!

Jess

Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 08:33:11 -0500
From: "Kunkel, Robert G"
Subject: RE: T.V.

I saw part of that this weekend.  I stumbled upon it after it was already 40
minutes in.  The show was listed as an hour long and the five or ten minutes
I watched were just concert footage, but I obviously can't speak as to the
rest of the air time.  I actually only wound up watching the ten minutes or
so because the sound was SOOOOOOO bad!!!!  It was almost painful to watch...
to know that there were the Zippers who I've been dying to see(even hear)
live again (come back to upstate NY!) and knowing how incredible they DO
sound versus how they sounded on this broadcast and I just couldn't sit
through it...  Very disappointed.

Fortunately I have the Hard Rock Live performance on tape!  Too bad it's not
longer.  =)

Later,
Rob

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 18:54:25 PST
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: JAS. M.

Alright, i'm trying to figure this out. Katharine is coming out with her
solo album "Katharine Whalen's jazz squad" on May 25th...and it will
have Jim, stu, & Je. Andrew Bird's new album will be out this spring
sometime(?). Tom is going to have a solo album. The Knockdown society
will have a double cd out soon(?)...does the Knockdown society album
count as Jim's solo thing? or is that something different???? And the
"Ghost of stephen foster" video should be airing sometime this month(?).
I hope that the NEW knockdown cd will have more songs like #11 "going
down that road". I'm not sure what to call that...all I know is that it
has this great raw live delta sound to it.

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #47
********************************

the-landing-digest      Thursday, March 11 1999      Volume 02 : Number 048

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  Re:  Re: More Immortal!  ["SHAUN SMAKAL" ]
  Re: TV and Permanent Records  ["SHAUN SMAKAL" ]
  sleuth                                  [Jessica Brandt ]
  Re: sleuth                                             [DannyManco@aol.com]

Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 11:49:58 +0000
From: "SHAUN SMAKAL"
Subject: Re:  Re: More Immortal!

Yes, I noticed the Tom resemblance.  Maybe the Zippers get killed by
large group of vampires after Danny Diamond?  Also, I thought the
that the guy on the left of the crew photo (next to the post) looks a
great deal like a young, sill alive Chris Farley.

Smakal

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 12:03:21 +0000
From: "SHAUN SMAKAL"
Subject: Re: TV and Permanent Records

Watched the PBS Zipper show and I have to agree with Rob--very
dissappionting.  The whole thing is concert footage.  The
songs don't run in order of which the Zippers did them either (watch
the ground).  Plus, the program is not nearly 1 hour long--mine was
interupted several times by those damn pledgers.  Really gay pledgers
too.  They pretended to know who the Zippers are and just thuroughly
trashed the band in my oppinion.  I was going to tape it tonight but
not any more.  This doesn't do the Zippers any justice.  The way I
saw it--it was the tape you could get for free at Bestbuy that they
were giving away, but I may be wrong.

Jess has the address right and if ya missed it, here's the web site
again:
http://members.aol.com/permarec/mopermanentrecords.html

Smakal

P.S.  Exscuse the excessive verbal diarhea lately, it dosen't happen
often.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 09:18:49 PST
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: NEW ANDREW SONGS.

I was looking around the Rykodisc site and found two unreleased andrew
songs. They are there for you to download, and are both great songs.
Both "Etchasketch Drag" and "A Glass of Water" were recorded live...and
"A Glass of Water" sounds like a Django Rhienhardt & Stephan Grappelli
song. HERE THEY ARE:
http://www.rykodisc.com/rykoindex/rykointernal/features/342/give_away4.htm

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 19:21:23 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt
Subject: sleuth

You know, I wish I could turn in my Landing postings to my Newswriting
teacher. I could get some credit for breaking stories or something...

Anyway, here's the track listing for Katherine's album (sources say it's
AWESOME (do you expect anything but??) and NO I haven't heard it so don't
ask!):

"Deed I Do"
"No Greater Love"
"Sugar"
"Yesterdays"
"Just You Just Me"
"Now or Never"
"My Old Flame"
"That Old Feeling"
"Badisma"
"All My Life"
"After You've Gone"
"Baby Just Cares"

MAY 25th, and all the Zippers make cameos on the album.

Also, the new Dirty Dozen album is done and it's just as amazing. 9 songs
that'll blow you away. KATHERINE WHALEN'S JAZZ SQUAD AND THE DIRTY DOZEN
ARE TOURING THE MAJOR MARKETS TOGETHER THIS JUNE.

TO ANSWER ALL RYAN's PPROBING QUESTIONS:

Andrew Bird's album is being mastered now. Look for a tour in June.

Tom starts recording on the 19th. look for the album late summer.

Jim told me personally way back in Sept. that the new Knockdown Society
will be a double CD but who knows what's up with it now. The Knockdowns go
into the studio after Tom. This counts as Jim's solo project.

The "Stephen Foster" video airing has been pushed back to April, do to
"issues." My guess is general record label/MTV silliness.

So, I hope this answers any q's...why isn't anyone coming to my party? :(

it's the glasses, isn't it? I TOLD my mom I didn't want glasses...

Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 22:27:36 EST
From: DannyManco@aol.com
Subject: Re: sleuth

Wow.  I'm really looking forward to hearing Katharine's solo project.  The
track listing looks pretty fabulous.  "'Deed I Do" is a favorite song of mine,
especially as performed by Blossom Dearie on her eponymous 1956 Verve album,
where the track, perhaps not coincidentally, also fills the first slot.
(Dearie might well have been Katharine's direct inspiration, since somewhere
or other -- I can't remember quite where I read it -- Katharine's voice
described as a cross between Billie Holiday's and Blossom Dearie's.)

Speaking of vocal similarities, I'm slightly concerned that some of the songs
on Katharine's album appear to be songs which Billie Holiday herself famously
recorded and which are closely associated with her -- songs like "My Old
Flame" and "Yesterdays."  I don't suppose there's anything wrong with wearing
your influences on your sleeve, especially if your influences are as fantastic
as Billie Holiday, but Katharine has been criticized before for sounding too
much like Billie Holiday (for instance, in SPIN magazine's review of
"Perennial Favorites," as I recall).  I do think it's easy to overstate
Katharine's indebtedness to Billie Holiday, but nevertheless, Katharine's
probably not doing anything to dispel such criticisms by recording songs
linked so strongly to Billie Holiday.

I'm also excited to think that the Knock-Down Society will be releasing new
material in the foreseeable future, and I was pleased that someone in a recent
post had kind words to say about "Songs for Rosetta."  In my humble opinion,
that album is as good as, or better than, anything that the Squirrel Nut
Zippers proper have released, and I think that perhaps this side project of
Jimbo's is underappreciated.  There seems to be a lot of Andrew Bird idolatry
on this list, but I've never been especially keen on Andrew, and I often
wonder why he's spotlighted so much while the Knock-Down Society gets only
sporadic mention.

Daniel

------------------------------

End of the-landing-digest V2 #48
********************************

the-landing-digest       Friday, March 12 1999       Volume 02 : Number 049

                               Today's Subjects:
                               -----------------
  Andrew, Knockdown, and Billie           [Jessica Brandt ]
  Re: the-landing-digest V2 #48           [Dan Townsend ]
  RELEASE DATES.                        ["Ryan Sargent" ]

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 04:17:52 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt
Subject: Andrew, Knockdown, and Billie

Most of the songs on Kat's album are those "fried chicken party" songs that
got Kat interested in singing. you know the stories...Jim and Katherine
invited a bunch of musicians out to the house in Efland to jam and drink
wine and eat fried chicken...and soon the Zips as we know 'em were born.
Well these songs that Katherine has decided to record ARE her inspirations,
and they're the first songs she'd tried to sing.

I'm really happy for Daniel that she is doing one of his favorite songs! I
was pretty damn psyched when I knew "Stephen Foster" was on the Perennial
album, that was one of my fave songs (er, i guess in a different way...)

Uhm..Andrew Bird. I'm really into Andrew, and I'm glad he's around, much
like for the same reason i'm glad swing and hot jazz is around. He sounds a
ton like Django and Stefan, which made me go seek out some of their
recordings. It was like putting together a puzzle. Now, since i can't see
Django and Stefan, I can always see Andrew. I think he adds a lot to the
zippers' music, most noteably "Stephen foster." Really gives it that creepy
edge.

Knockdown society. I picked "rosetta" as one of my top 10 albums of 1998.
and i mean, it had pretty steep competition with hello Nasty and
"Miseducation." But anyway, just like Andrew, it really opened my eyes to
another great kind of music. Delta blues. That album is as thick as
molasses. Really folks, if you don't have it, GET IT!! It's great driving
music. It's great chillin' music. It's great workin' music. it's good
whistlin' music....GOD is it great music!

A double CD? i friggin' can't wait....

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 10:57:05 -0800 (PST)
From: Dan Townsend
Subject: Re: the-landing-digest V2 #48

thanks for all the great inside info on the new releases. Is there any
date set for the new Andrew Bird?
   dan

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 11:54:21 PST
From: "Ryan Sargent"
Subject: RELEASE DATES.

The guy at Rykodic said that Andrew's new album is looking like a Fall
release, that's all he told me.

End of the-landing-digest V2 #49

No digest was created Saturday, March 13.