I highly recommend
each of these books for the home boatbuilder:
- "The Dory Book"
By John Gardener
- "BoatBuilding in Your Own Backyard" By S. S. Rabl
Flex Skin kayaks:
By George Dyson
- "Wood and Canvas Kayak Building" By George Putz
- "The Aleutian Kayak"
By Wolfgang Brinck
Stitch & Tape:
- "Canoes & Kayaks for the Backyard Builder" By Skip Snaith
- "The Kayak Shop"
By Chris Kulczyci
- "Ultralight Boatbuilding" by Tom Hill
Native American Boats:
- "The Bark Canoes and Skin Boats of North America" By Edwin Tappan Adney and Howard
Older Popular Science and Popular Mechanics magazines
often yield cool retro boat designs -- and sometimes very functional
row boats, runabouts and daysailer plans.