Dealing with Deadlock Problem
In general, there are four strategies of dealing with deadlock problem:
- 1. The Ostrich Approach
- Just ignore the deadlock problem altogether.
- 2. Deadlock Detection and Recovery
- Detect deadlock and, when it occurs, take steps to recover.
- 3. Deadlock Avoidance
- Avoid deadlock by careful resource scheduling.
- 4. Deadlock Prevention
- Prevent deadlock by resource scheduling so as to negate at least one of
the four conditions.
Now we consider each strategy in order of decreasing severity.